Tenere electrical problems

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Gregor

Tenere electrical problems

Post by Gregor »

Checking the bike over pre mot I found I had no main or high beam on the headlight.

Looked at the easy stuff first, new fuse, new bulb still no lights.Checked the continuity on the handle bar switches and wiring back to the loom connector, all tested good.Must be the relay I thought so ordered a couple having no idea how to test one.

Thought I’d have another look over the loom where it sits behind the battery box amongst the various relays,ECU and fuse block, ended up disconnecting all the components and pulled out the free ends just to make sure and found this:

That’s been rubbing the base of the plastic tray where it all sat unsecured for 12 years.

I guess it could be a lot worse, I’m pretty sure the damaged wires I can see lead to the headlight fuse in the fuse block. I haven’t had a close look yet, fingers crossed there’s no others damaged and I can repair it myself.
DefTrap

Re: Tenere electrical problems

Post by DefTrap »

Fairly common on old bikes, bodgery and neglect. Easy to fix though even with minimal tools.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That's not pretty at all!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Nasty mess.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Make sure you get all the muck out otherwise it'll never heal .
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Looks like I’ve got a winter project now.

The only severed wire I found was from the fuse box to the headlight relay which is now repaired and relay replaced but still no lights.
The radiator fan isn’t working either although the temp sensor when bridged lights the warning light on the dash so appears to be good and also I’ve replaced the fan relay.

What is a massive pain is the engine needs to be running for the main beam to be on and with the fuel pump being in the tank it needs to be on the bike, the tank is huge and covers most of the loom and connectors.The fuel out spigot is a very flimsy plastic, making removal of the push fit fuel pipe to the injector tricky, I have visions of it snapping.

The routing of the loom is a known problem with the Tenere from the factory as there are several places where the tank and frame can chafe which I had thought I had remedied early on in ownership, looks like I’ve missed somewhere!
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

The fan spins wired direct to thee battery which is a relief.

The other little treat I discovered was the reflector had detached from its mounts inside the sealed headlight unit.
That was fun to get apart, lucky Yamaha are as skimpy with the sealant as they are with grease in their head bearings.Managed to get a palette knife and then a feeler gauge between the 2 halves to break the seal. Fixed the reflector in place in 3 spots with some sealant that’s got some give in it so should still be able to tweak the adjustment screw if the alignment is miles out.

It’s another shit bit of design on a big single that vibrates a fair bit, the reflector sits on 3 metal pins with ball ends that fit in wells in the back with metal spring clamps keeping them in place ......or not.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

I haven’t had the time to resolve this yet but the loom is off the bike,cleaned up and in the warm waiting to be checked over.
I’ve ordered a new battery as the original is over 12 years old and was struggling now it’s got cold.

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Mmmmm, shed with H&C running water!
David

Post by David »

12 year old battery not managing too well...they dont mek um loikr they used to!

Perhaps as well.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

David wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:24 pm 12 year old battery not managing too well...they dont mek um loikr they used to!

Perhaps as well.
Yeah thanks for that really useful contribution.
David

Post by David »

You're welcome