Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Saga Lout

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 am Those of you with children didn't allow your own children to have the MMR vaccine to protect other people's children from measles, mumps and rubella, did you?
I feel like this super amazing ability to determine other people's motives with such certainty is wasted here. Go forth and spread your powers for the good of mankind!

Oh....right....

As you were then :D
Maybe I'm mistaken, let's find out.

Did any of you have your children vaccinated in order to protect your neighbours' brats?
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 am Those of you with children didn't allow your own children to have the MMR vaccine to protect other people's children from measles, mumps and rubella, did you?
I feel like this super amazing ability to determine other people's motives with such certainty is wasted here. Go forth and spread your powers for the good of mankind!

Oh....right....

As you were then :D
Maybe I'm mistaken, let's find out.

Did any of you have your children vaccinated in order to protect your neighbours' brats?
Specifically and directly no, but as part of a belief that all society benefited from the eradication or limitation of disease ? Absolutely ...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I did. As irie said, people can have more than one reason*.

As above, I will have the Covid 19 jab if asked/offered. ISTR reading that I have more chance of dying in a shark attack than I do from Covid 19 - or something else equally absurd - but I'll still get jabbed to play my part.

I get it, you're a naturally cynical person, that much has been obvious for a long time. That doesn't mean everyone is.

*yes feel free to post "aha! So you did it to protect her, told you so"
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Just throwing this out there:

If you were out at a friends house and were offered some drugs, for arguments sake let's say it was cannabis, a drug that has just been made a medicinal drug by the UN, would you partake?

If not, why not?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I'd sooner rack up a line of false-equivalence and pop a couple of non-sequiturs
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:57 am Just throwing this out there:

If you were out at a friends house and were offered some drugs, for arguments sake let's say it was cannabis, a drug that has just been made a medicinal drug by the UN, would you partake?

If not, why not?
I have no desire to have the effects of being a paranoid fucked up stoner.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am

If not, why not?
What if it was just CBD that had no psychoactive effects?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:15 am

If not, why not?
What would be the point, i.e. why would I be taking it?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:15 am

If not, why not?
You'll have to educate me as to why I'd take it then? As a painkiller?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm not a regular drug users, but if I was offered it at a house party, I'd have a puff. Hell, if I was offered a line or some molly I'd probably partake.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If not, why not?
I'm unlikely to take any drugs i don't need :D There are thousands of drugs approved for medicinal use (not sure where the UN comes into it) but I'm not taking them at random am I?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

If not, why not?
I've consumed nearly every illegal drugs around, made by some dodgy chemist in god knows where. I'm probably not going to give the answer you want....
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

If not, why not?
Are you about to suggest a similarity to taking a vaccine? Because if you are, You of all people cautioning against taking untested ‘medicines’ is fucking laughable ...

As for knowing the constituents etc? I don’t even know what chemicals make up paracetamol but the fact it is tested and licensed gives me the confidence to take it ...I am aware too that taking too many or taking them with some other drugs can cause problems but it’s such a small issue it’s worth it ..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Struggling with why I'd walk into somewhere and a bloke whispers "you wanna try some pain killers?"

Sure, I've been offered beer, wine, even gin, but never have I walked in and been offered paracetamol.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 am Sure, I've been offered beer, wine, even gin, but never have I walked in and been offered paracetamol.
You'll need all of the above after a couple of years of moderating this place.

Greenie - it's not remotely the same thing.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:41 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 am Sure, I've been offered beer, wine, even gin, but never have I walked in and been offered paracetamol.
You'll need all of the above after a couple of years of moderating this place.

Greenie - it's not remotely the same thing.
So taking a drug that you know nothing about from a group of people who have fucked up pretty much everything they have done since in power and that many agree are corrupt is safe, but taking a drug from a friend you know and trust is not ok?

I know a lot are thinking 'wtf is he on about', where's the correlation, we are not going to get shitfaced off the vaccine? but consider that there are probably millions of people on this planet that rely on cannabis and other drugs to get them through their life, all those people have self medicated, they have chose to take the drugs to help them be better people in society, so they don't go off the rails, crash their car due to depression, throw themselves off a bridge onto your car etc etc etc, but not once have they come on the news, papers or social media telling you why you should also be doing the same, have they?*

But as soon as people start saying they won't have the drug created by people no-one seems to trust, everyone goes mad.

This a funny world we live in!

* - they probably have, i just don't go on the right sites, but you get the point...;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Gedge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 am
As for knowing the constituents etc? I don’t even know what chemicals make up paracetamol but the fact it is tested and licensed gives me the confidence to take it ...I am aware too that taking too many or taking them with some other drugs can cause problems but it’s such a small issue it’s worth it ..
Iatrogenesis.
Kills a couple of hundred thousand a year just in the USA, probably millions around the world.

Perspective is interesting, you say small issue, but will iatrogenesis kill more people under 40yrs old than covid?
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 am So taking a drug that you know nothing about from a group of people who have fucked up pretty much everything they have done since in power and that many agree are corrupt is safe, but taking a drug from a friend you know and trust is not ok?

I know a lot are thinking 'wtf is he on about', where's the correlation, we are not going to get shitfaced off the vaccine? but consider that there are probably millions of people on this planet that rely on cannabis and other drugs to get them through their life, all those people have self medicated, they have chose to take the drugs to help them be better people in society, so they don't go off the rails, crash their car due to depression, throw themselves off a bridge onto your car etc etc etc, but not once have they come on the news, papers or social media telling you why you should also be doing the same, have they?*

But as soon as people start saying they won't have the drug created by people no-one seems to trust, everyone goes mad.

* - they probably have, i just don't go on the right sites, but you get the point...;)
You can’t be so dim that you think the government developed the Pfizer vaccine!!!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

JamJar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 am
Greenman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 am So taking a drug that you know nothing about from a group of people who have fucked up pretty much everything they have done since in power and that many agree are corrupt is safe, but taking a drug from a friend you know and trust is not ok?

You can’t be so dim that you think the government developed the Pfizer vaccine!!!
Easy tiger.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

JamJar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 amYou can’t be so dim that you think the government developed the Pfizer vaccine!!!
Are you new here?