Loud pipes DON'T save lives - latest research

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Loud pipes DON'T save lives - latest research

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Loud pipes DON'T save lives - that's the conclusion of a collaborative study between the Romanian motorcyclists’ organization MotoADN, the Politehnica University of Bucharest, and the environmental consultancy company Enviro Consult, and reported by FEMA.

My take on it here on Elevenses this morning here: https://youtu.be/C6pT6mhAY2c?t=248

Link to FEMA article: https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/the-sou ... motorcycle

Short video made during the study here: https://youtu.be/v9QTPyMJGgo
Dodgy69

Re: Loud pipes DON'T save lives - latest research

Post by Dodgy69 »

What about window's down in the summer, convertible, cyclist, joggers, pedestrians, they might hear a noisy bike sooner. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:58 pm What about window's down in the summer, convertible, cyclist, joggers, pedestrians, they might hear a noisy bike sooner. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You're also likely to hear more of the road noise and noise from other traffic. It would be a worthwhile extension of the study because it is an obvious objection from the loud pipe supporters... but frankly with modern cars, you're more likely to keep the windows up and put the aircon on.

And when you are cycling at a reasonable speed, you can actually hear surprisingly little thanks to the wind noise past your own ears.

So... do you want to rely on that 'might hear'?
Skub

Post by Skub »

I usually put on an aftermarket exhaust for three reasons,to have a sweeter running engine,asthetics and a fruitier sound.

Did anyone ever really believe the 'loud pipes save lives' slogan? I always thought that was a bit tongue in cheek.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Skub wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm I usually put on an aftermarket exhaust for three reasons,to have a sweeter running engine,asthetics and a fruitier sound.

Did anyone ever really believe the 'loud pipes save lives' slogan? I always thought that was a bit tongue in cheek.
A five second google... on the first page of results, this writer certainly thinks so:

"The facts [sic] tell us that loud, deep sounding pipes do in fact alert pedestrians, car, and truck drivers of our presence on the roadway. Coupled with proper outer wear, proper lane placement and practiced defensive riding skills make for a much safer riding experience all together. The depth of many of today’s motorcycle exhaust systems can be felt even by the texting driver of a semi-budget Mazda 3 with eight speakers, a six-CD changer, and an auxiliary port for their iPhone, putting on makeup in the rear view mirror. Seriously, how many people do you see talking away on their phone or veering all over the road while texting? Too many. Loud, deep pipes let them know you are there whether they see you or not.

"Tony Sanfelipo has an air horn and a siren on his Harley-Davidson Road King. But he often uses the deep growl of the bike's engine to warn motorists not to cross over into his traffic lane. With a snap of the throttle, his bike's aftermarket mufflers gets your attention. It's better than the horn or the siren, Sanfelipo said, because those sounds startle other drivers too much, and they might swerve into his bike's path. "I like the fact that my bike can be loud, if I want it to be, but I can control it," Sanfelipo said about revving the engine.

"So next time some ones says, “Stop saying loud pipes save lives", you’ll know that person doesn’t have a clue on what it takes to survive on today’s roadways."
Skub

Post by Skub »

Sounds murican.
An air horn and a siren? Is he a policeman?
Walt Whitman
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Might get an Airhorn for my pushbike. The amount of docile dog walkers in the middle of roads is staggering. Would imagine batteries on electric motorcycles will be drained through constant horn use.
Yamaha rocket 3
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 pm Would imagine batteries on electric motorcycles will be drained through constant horn use.
New electric vehicles have to be fitted with 'noise generators' now. Its kinda of a whir/humm combined sound, most people don't even realise its artificially created by a speaker.

Before anyone says "loud cars save lives", said noise turns off above 12kph (I think) and is not much louder than voice level. Its just for pedestrians in carparks etc. As soon as you are going even slightly fast the tyres are noisier.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Bike tyre's not as noisy as cars...
Yamaha rocket 3
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:47 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 pm Would imagine batteries on electric motorcycles will be drained through constant horn use.
New electric vehicles have to be fitted with 'noise generators' now. Its kinda of a whir/humm combined sound, most people don't even realise its artificially created by a speaker.

Before anyone says "loud cars save lives", said noise turns off above 12kph (I think) and is not much louder than voice level. Its just for pedestrians in carparks etc. As soon as you are going even slightly fast the tyres are noisier.
Our electric car at work means you do have to change the way you drive when moving in shared spaces at low speed- it was also fun at first creeping up on people .
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:56 pm Bike tyre's not as noisy as cars...
And electric motorcycles are louder than push bikes. While there are certainly cases of the latter coming into contact with pedestrians its not exactly a huge menace.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Stop thief! We rest our case M'Lud...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Walt Whitman