Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:30 am
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:12 am How can there be a high uptake when it can't be mass distributed?
One of the papers had a front page photo supposedly of the UK's first consignment leaving the Pfizer factory. If it's transportable like that (and it obviouslyhas to be moved somehow), then presumably it can be transported to mass vaccination sites, set up to cope with high throughput (eg a sports stadium car park).p
As above, storing and transporting stuff at -70°C isn't that difficult. You can literally just pack it in an insulated box with dry ice - which is naturally at -78°C when it 'fogs' - and move it with a pallet truck. Once you've got where you're going a -70°C freezer isn't a huge hurdle either. Dry ice isn't particularly dangerous, you can buy it online.

https://www.dryicesupply.co.uk/product/ ... IFWvD_BwE

The hurdle comes with trying to do it in big quantities within an organisation that's never had to do it before.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Don't forget the govt has ordered 100m doses of the Oxford vaccine which has none of the logistical challenges of the mRNA vaccines
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:58 am It’s nothing to do with that, it’s about a civic responsibility to protect others ...
Come back to me with that one when smoking and the sale of alcoholic drugs is banned because of the millions of lives it ruins.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 am
Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:58 am It’s nothing to do with that, it’s about a civic responsibility to protect others ...
Come back to me with that one when smoking and the sale of alcoholic drugs is banned because of the millions of lives it ruins.
I think you'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket trying to claim the government has done nothing to try and curtail smoking and drinking...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:42 am The hurdle comes with trying to do it in big quantities within an organisation that's never had to do it before.
And they're not starting thinking about it 'now'. One of our senior project managers left weeks ago to go and work on implementing it. If he was on (and held to) the usual 3 months notice, then that gives an indication of how far back it was being considered.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Presumably they would have known will in advance that this pfizer vaccine has to be stored cold, I doubt it was a surprise right at the end of the trials.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

As I understood it, there are issues distributing the Pfizer vaccine due to transportation, staffing and administration therefore the likely implementation will be to target high risk patients only.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

We shouldn't tackle the COVID crisis effectively until people stop getting drunk and smoking?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 am
We shouldn't tackle the COVID crisis effectively until people stop getting drunk and smoking?
Of course not, but it does put things into perspective. Shit yourself about a few hundred thousand being affected by covid but turn a blind eye to millions of lives ruined by the drugs sold on every high street.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 am As I understood it, there are issues distributing the Pfizer vaccine due to transportation, staffing and administration therefore the likely implementation will be to target high risk patients only.
The high risk were always mean to to be first ...difficulties ( legal / regulatory) around splitting the packs into smaller doses has meant that initially the doses will go to hubs in 50 hospitals and will be given to hospital patients first from 8/12 ( rather than waste it ).As soon as regulatory body approves ‘splitting’ packs they will be going out to care homes etc.. ( from 14th Dec assuming regulator agrees as they have already for Scotland
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:20 am A lot of the people diagnosed with Aids in the 80s believed they only had a few years to live. They spent their savings and sold their assets. 30 years later and they're still around, fit and able but homeless and forgotten, suffering from depression.
I only have a few years to live. I don't have a lot in savings and I'm not selling off assets. I've simply made a Will. My wife knew she only had a few months left to live. She too, simply made a Will. Did Aids make people stupid?
Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 am Come back to me with that one when smoking and the sale of alcoholic drugs is banned because of the millions of lives it ruins.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:47 am I think you'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket trying to claim the government has done nothing to try and curtail smoking and drinking...
I don't know the figures for booze but iirc 78,000 people die a year from smoking related illnesses. They may not have done nothing but they sure as shit haven't done much. Except add tax. Getting people to pay more to feed their addiction is the epitomy of civic responsibility?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 am They may not have done nothing but they sure as shit haven't done much.
They've banned smoking indoors, banned tabacco advertising, banned the display of tabacco in shops, mandated that all tabacco has to be in plain pacakaging with dire health warnings, made stop smoking services available on the NHS and increased the legal minimum age to buy tabacco.

With booze they've (or are going to) introduced minimum pricing laws, banned 'BOGOF' type deals on booze in supermarkets, steadily increased duty and run relentless 'drink less for charidee' campaigns.

So I think you'd be a bit churlish to say they've done nothing or even that they haven't done much.

EDIT: And if you want to know somehting about the efficacy of such measures:

Potter

Post by Potter »

Not much of an effort though is it?
Would you be satisfied if they cut covid deaths by 5% and then claimed any sort of success?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:46 am
Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:24 am They may not have done nothing but they sure as shit haven't done much.
They've banned smoking indoors, banned tabacco advertising, banned the display of tabacco in shops, mandated that all tabacco has to be in plain pacakaging with dire health warnings, made stop smoking services available on the NHS and increased the legal minimum age to buy tabacco.

With booze they've (or are going to) introduced minimum pricing laws, banned 'BOGOF' type deals on booze in supermarkets, steadily increased duty and run relentless 'drink less for charidee' campaigns.

So I think you'd be a bit churlish to say they've done nothing or even that they haven't done much.

EDIT: And if you want to know somehting about the efficacy of such measures:

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us
Potter

Post by Potter »

Scary stuff eh.

Even with all those decades of information that smoking can lead to horrible disease and death, and all the effort, they've only cut the amount of people that smoke by a small percentage.

Alcohol abuse is still fat.

[Charlie Sheen on] ...winning... [Charlie Sheen off]

No need for covid vaccines if you're happy 'winning' with reductions of just a few percent.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Threads been going on long enough that Iccy's bait bucket is empty :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:48 am Threads been going on long enough that Iccy's bait bucket is empty :(
I'm honestly struggling to see where he's going about with all this.

Moaning about political threads and then basically trying to be as argumentative as possible as soon as the next one comes along...

Consider me completely bemused.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:59 am Not much of an effort though is it?
Would you be satisfied if they cut covid deaths by 5% and then claimed any sort of success?
They banned chocolate cigarettes and liquorice pipes. That's how seriously it's been taken.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:54 am [

They banned chocolate cigarettes and liquorice pipes. That's how seriously it's been taken.
Glad they did. Trying to keep those fuckers alight was real struggle.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:48 am Threads been going on long enough that Iccy's bait bucket is empty :(
I don't need bait, the truth smashes anything I could make up.

Covid and the vaccine has been selling news to the masses based on it being the worlds biggest issue but for most of the world it's way down the list of stuff that is going to ruin their day.