Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Potter »

It must be grim, sitting there quivering in your slippers about going down to the pub in case you bump into someone that hasn't been vaccinated :lol:
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:08 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm The government that tells us they didn't cut any corners to get the Pfizer vaccine approved. Except they did away with some of the "red tape" or, in other words, they relaxed some of the regulations which in other circumstances they would argue are there to protect us. I.e. they cut some corners.
"The head of the MHRA, Dr June Raine, said that - despite the speed of approval - no corners have been cut."
Which is pretty much from the horses mouth, as they are the regulators. Which interpretation are you referring to?
Agree that no corners have been cut. The regulatory timescale was compressed by instead of waiting for one trial to complete before starting the next one, the next trial was allowed to start before the previous trial had completed. Allowing trials to overlap thus shortened the regulatory process but carried the risk that any trial stage might fail thus wasting overlapping work done on following trials.

The EU and the US regulators are apparently 'miffed' that they never thought of this way of accelerating the regulatory process.

Edit: following trials
Last edited by irie on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 pm
wheelnut wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:51 pm
WTF did you pull that straw man from? :wtf:
It was a stretch but if schools can choose not to accept non-vaccinated kids in case they get sick, then how much of stretch is it to not accept ...
I can't prove it to you, but it already happens in some private schools. Teaching SEND kids can be a huge load on resources, which they might not want to incur.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 pm It must be grim, sitting there quivering in your slippers about going down to the pub in case you bump into someone that hasn't been vaccinated :lol:
Hey don't knock it, last week I could only quiver about going from the living room to the kitchen :thumbup:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 pm It must be grim, sitting there quivering in your slippers about going down to the pub in case you bump into someone that hasn't been vaccinated :lol:
Talking to you tonight is like talking to greenie when he’s whammed. :roll:

And we had a lovely meal out last night. Didn’t think we’d be able to get booked in but we did. :mrgreen:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:12 pm

And we had a lovely meal out last night. Didn’t think we’d be able to get booked in but we did. :mrgreen:
Sorry all.

I have to apologise on behalf of Harry.

He has been around mine for the past 2 weeks. We have been trialing the Vaccine.

I'm sure his normal personality will continue to entertain you all soon, once he has come out from under my neighbours table.

Peace....... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

demographic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:55 am
Bwana wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:53 am How big was that container and how many jizz straws did it contain?
It was yonks ago so I've only a hazy memory of it.
Mebbe a foot outside diameter and six inch ID?
Never looked inside so dunno how many but they were this so I'd imagine a good number.

I'd be amazed if it wasnt enough in number for a care home were it vaccine instead of bull jizz.

You'll have seen the setup will you?
Yes, but it has been a gazillion years ago. Or was it a jizzilion years ago?

The inner storage capacity of one of those containers doesn't amount to much. The majority of the volume goes to the coolant. I suspect you might be able to get about 50 1cc vials inside one. The straws (pipettes, more accurately) are about 5 or 6 inches long and maybe a 16th of an inch in diameter. There might be half a doze of them or so. Typically you're only talking about shipment of enough for one breeding though.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:02 am Having said that, I don't think people who don't want it should be penalised. That's a slippery slope. I'd rather in a year or 2 they thought well it seems harmless enough and seems to be getting us back to normal so make their own mind up to have it rather than be forced to have it.
You are in a category that means at best it'd be sometime in April or so before you'd even get an offer. By then there will have been millions of doses administered to health care professionals, essential workers, elderly folks, etc. Most adverse reactions will be acute in onset rather than chronic. By then we'll have plenty of safety data.

People will still refuse it. Some will be strictly antivaxxers and others will just be stubborn about it. Freedom and all that.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:52 pm The anti-vaccinated beating up the vaccinated? How do you spot the vaccinated?

The vaccinated beating up the anti-vaccinated? I can see how you might be able to spot the anti-vaccinated as they'll be all over social meeja telling everybody how they're on their way to London to sort this out. But - why would you bother? Easier to let Darwinism run its course.
We all have to get 666 tattooed on our foreheads. Didn't you read the fine print. :(
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

chillitt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:20 pm I have no problem whatsoever with someone not wanting a vaccine for a reason. The only ones Ive seen so far are 'Dont wanna' and 'Cant be arsed' (and Greenies weird word soup) If thats the best reason, then it may be better for all concerned to not go bragging about that. If there are good reasons then spread the word.
There will be valid medical reasons for some to avoid vaccination. From a public health stance "I donwanna" and "I can't be arsed" are not valid. From a personal rights/choice stance, they are valid. That doesn't mean we can't have our fun pointing and laughing at them gasping for air.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:06 pm
We're all going to die, you're not getting out of here alive, face it with a bit of dignity and go without pissing and moaning about it.

Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:12 pm
On this occasion I've been happy to stand alone and not join in with the crowd, because I don't believe in forcing people into vaccinations and forcing segregation between those that have had it and those that haven't?

I'm pro-science, pro-medicine and pro-vaccine, I'll be having a vaccine if offered, but sometimes the science and medicines let us down (Thalidomide for example), so no one should be forced into taking medicines or vaccines if they don't want to and no one should be punished, segregated or isolated for it.

I suppose death is a massive paralysing fear for some people. There have been some times in my life when I've laced my boots up knowing that I might not see another sun rise and it's a sense of satisfaction to me that I had the fortitude to face it with integrity, whereas for some of you death is something that you're so afraid of and it makes you so angry that you'd be willing to force parents to inject their children with things they don't want to if it might give you a slightly better percentage advantage of living a bit longer.

That's beyond my limits of what is ok, hence my position on it.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

It's going to be an interesting situation for a lot of people if the government/NHS/whoever don't give you some sort of proof that you've had the vaccine. There doesn't, at the moment, appear to be any firm decision made on whether personal proof would be given, just a record on a central database I believe.

Maybe the side effects will be evidence enough. :D

Doorman: "You can't come in the bar because you're already pissed mate!"
Punter: "I'm not pissed, I'm vaccinated!"
Doorman: "Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say, now fuck off pisshead!"
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

You know what this reminds me of?

Nidge

Post by Nidge »

It’s nothing to do with that, it’s about a civic responsibility to protect others and remove the restrictions that are blighting so many lives which in turn are leading to other health crises.

My work brings me in to contact with leading vaccinologists, epidemiologists and immunologists- it’s not an exaggeration to say some of the are the world experts at the top of the field. One aspect of modelling that is studied is “vaccine confidence” which, sadly, is at an all time low in Spain and some other European countries. This is factored into the likely impact of vaccine roll out. Unfortunately the 95% efficacy rates claimed by Pfizer assume 100% uptake, which of course will never happen, but we need a high uptake to realise the full societal benefits
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

How can there be a high uptake when it can't be mass distributed?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

The Martian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 pm
Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:38 pm It reminds me of when AIDS first came out, the ignorant were refusing to go near gay people in case they somehow got infected.
AIDS never came out, it was (incorrectly) labelled as gay ;)
A lot of the people diagnosed with Aids in the 80s believed they only had a few years to live. They spent their savings and sold their assets. 30 years later and they're still around, fit and able but homeless and forgotten, suffering from depression.
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:20 am
The Martian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 pm
Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:38 pm It reminds me of when AIDS first came out, the ignorant were refusing to go near gay people in case they somehow got infected.
AIDS never came out, it was (incorrectly) labelled as gay ;)
A lot of the people diagnosed with Aids in the 80s believed they only had a few years to live. They spent their savings and sold their assets. 30 years later and they're still around, fit and able but homeless and forgotten, suffering from depression.
So much for "one in the bum, no harm done" eh?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:12 am How can there be a high uptake when it can't be mass distributed?
1. Good question, probably someone (backroom boffin, tea/toast/pocket full of pens/blackboard) working it out right now
2. IIRC the 'Oxford' vaccine can be 'fridged'

One of the papers had a front page photo supposedly of the UK's first consignment leaving the Pfizer factory. If it's transportable like that (and it obviouslyhas to be moved somehow), then presumably it can be transported to mass vaccination sites, set up to cope with high throughput (eg a sports stadium car park).

The other issue mentioned earlier is 'breaking down' the 900+ dose batches into smaller deliveries.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:12 am How can there be a high uptake when it can't be mass distributed?

You don’t bring the mountain to Mohamed...They have centres and you get off your arse and line up for it ....hardly rocket science ..