New bike thread!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Taipan

Re: New bike thread!

Post by Taipan »

Hmm, battery showing 9.03 volts? Its on the optimate now and I'll see what that says, but I wonder if I have a parasitic draw somewhere and I'd suspect the heated grips if I do. If it charges okay i'll connect it to the OEM wiring and leave everything else unplugged and see if it stays okay. Then plug stuff back in one at a time? I'd prefer it to be the battery gone as i'd just bung a motobatt on and be done with it. Much easier than messing around finding electrical faults. I cant exactly drop it back to Craigs Honda in Yorkshire! D'oh!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You'll need a day or 3 of it off the bike to see if it drops when not connected first?
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

For what it's worth my one ( bought from a dealer) did exactly the same thing - I charged it and checked it etc went back to the dealer for a check as it was under warranty and it was the battery - I suspect it had sat on the showroom floor for a while .
It's a 2016 but it only had 4000 on it when I got it in June .
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:43 pm You'll need a day or 3 of it off the bike to see if it drops when not connected first?
No probs there. I'm only working mon-weds-friday and still have the sh300 to use.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

For what it is worth, I had a similar issue with a "new" battery on the Honda NC700 Rob Hunter brand. Lasted six months and I was riding every day. Stuck a Motobatt and it never gave me any issues. I'm just waiting on my Motobatt for the mighty K1200R and then I can ride again.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

the_priest wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:33 pm For what it is worth, I had a similar issue with a "new" battery on the Honda NC700 Rob Hunter brand. Lasted six months and I was riding every day. Stuck a Motobatt and it never gave me any issues. I'm just waiting on my Motobatt for the mighty K1200R and then I can ride again.
I couldn't see anything in the service history for a new battery, so it was on my list of things to replace as if they're going to let you down, its always in winter when they do. I put a motobatt on a bike (I cant remember what one) based on people recommendations and it did spin it over better on real cold days. Apparently on all year rounders is where they really win, but no so good on stored bikes?
*edit* I remember, it was on my Harley I put a motobatt!
Last edited by Taipan on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I'll be keeping the battery in the warm house. I don't need to ride every day, only when I feel like it. I actually need to check the tyre pressures! Can't remember the last time I did that......
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I only do about 6 miles a day on my Trumpet, after a few weeks even with a higher CCA battery it can get a little lethargic and needs a boost....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Checked the service history again and no receipt for a battery. Looked at Varta battery but cant see a date on it? M&P had a Motobatt MBTZ14S for £39.99 delivered. No brainer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Good to see M&P have upped their game. Battery is at collection point tomorrow!

I did charge the battery and didn't find any significant parasitic draws on the battery. So I probably didn't do the test properly, or the battery has just died as some of you have said. I wonder if it'll start tomorrow morning?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DPD notified me they have to deliver to my house and not the parcel shop. Presumably because its a battery? Anyway, its coming tomorrow when I should be at home but I have to go out a few times tomorrow, so will probably miss them! :roll: On the plus side it started okay this morning! The other plus side was I really enjoyed riding it again. I like anything that does something well and this does my commute very well. :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

DPD usually do timed 1 hour slots and are generally fairly good at sticking to them, at least that's my experience of them from using Sportsbikeshop.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yup, got a email saying it’d be delivered between 8-23 - 9-23!

Ta da!

Druid

Post by Druid »

Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm It’s only an Alta when you put the badge on!! :D

Tidy looking welds, considering they' ve been done by an 8 year old Chinese kid working 14 hour days :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It was going to go on today as my other plans had been cancelled, but it decided to piss with rain all day!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Taipan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:28 pm It was going to go on today as my other plans had been cancelled, but it decided to piss with rain all day!
Which is why I love having a garage and can work on the bike when I feel like it (wrapped up like Michelin man in the cold)!!!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I last rode the bike friday and its been outside in the freezing temps etc. Today I went out to the bike today and it span over and fired up fine. So no idea what the flat battery thing was about the other day? Anyway, I fitted the £40 unneeded motobatt regardless. :D

I'm sure most of you are eager to see the Fakeprovic fitted, but its probably not going on until spring, if at all? The reason being is it doesn't have a centre stand stop fitted and I don't really want to lose the centre stand, especially during winter when chain maintenance is important. I'm pretty sure there will be an aftermarket bracket out there or I could make one up, but demands on my free time are very high these days and in this weather I cba messing about with such things.

*edit* simple solution https://japan.webike.net/products/20531216.html
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I thought I may as well order that bit, despite the P&P being almost as much as the part! But I can't fabricate anything myself as I don't weld and my F-i-L no longer has his welding gear, so it looked a cheap way to put rhe FAkera on and keep my centre stand. Part duly ordered and confirmation email received with a dispatch date of 8th January! :wtf:

Thank you very much for shopping at Webike Japan.

Your order will be shipped from us around January 08, 2021.
We will let you know after the shipment is completed.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 am I thought I may as well order that bit, despite the P&P being almost as much as the part! But I can't fabricate anything myself as I don't weld and my F-i-L no longer has his welding gear, so it looked a cheap way to put rhe FAkera on and keep my centre stand. Part duly ordered and confirmation email received with a dispatch date of 8th January! :wtf:

Luckily, it's winter and horrible anyway :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:56 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 am I thought I may as well order that bit, despite the P&P being almost as much as the part! But I can't fabricate anything myself as I don't weld and my F-i-L no longer has his welding gear, so it looked a cheap way to put rhe FAkera on and keep my centre stand. Part duly ordered and confirmation email received with a dispatch date of 8th January! :wtf:

Luckily, it's winter and horrible anyway :)
Yup, i'm in no hurry to lay on cold, wet floors fitting this! :oops: