Driving licence expiry

Anything you like about motorbikes
Whysub

Re: Driving licence expiry

Post by Whysub »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm When I changed to a Spanish licence, they printed out all my current entitlements, then
I signed that.

Then can be no arguments :)
What a bloody palaver it is now. Have to apply to exchange through the DGT by submitting a form. Once they acknowledged receipt, I had to arrange a medical which I had last night at 8pm at an office 10 miles away.

Consisted of giving one person my passport, proof of address and UK driving licence. She then checked my licence details with DVLA on the computer. Then asked loads of questions about my health, if I ever took any medications, any operations etc.

Once answered I was given a coordination test on a video machine. I had to keep two circles on two lines, one on either side of the screen by means of two handles on the machine. It kept beeping as either circle touched the edge of the line. Thought I'd failed but was happy to be told I attained a pass.

In to another office to see someone else for aa hearing test-headphones on, and had to say "Si" when I heard a beep. Took a few minutes. Then an eye test reading out letters on an eye chart. Passed both.

Sent to another office to see someone else. Forms signed, digital photo taken, then told to attend the DGT office 40 miles away on Tuesday. I won't get my Spanish licence then, but just a receipt that will allow me to ride and drive until my Spanish licence comes through.

So a bit of a chore just "swapping" a licence. And if anyone living here with residency has a UK licence but hasn't applied to exchange it by 31 Dec 2020, they may find that they will have to take a Spanish driving test, which is apparently opens a whole new world of problems....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm When I changed to a Spanish licence, they printed out all my current entitlements, then
I signed that.

Then can be no arguments :)
What a bloody palaver it is now. Have to apply to exchange through the DGT by submitting a form. Once they acknowledged receipt, I had to arrange a medical which I had last night at 8pm at an office 10 miles away.

Consisted of giving one person my passport, proof of address and UK driving licence. She then checked my licence details with DVLA on the computer. Then asked loads of questions about my health, if I ever took any medications, any operations etc.

Once answered I was given a coordination test on a video machine. I had to keep two circles on two lines, one on either side of the screen by means of two handles on the machine. It kept beeping as either circle touched the edge of the line. Thought I'd failed but was happy to be told I attained a pass.

In to another office to see someone else for aa hearing test-headphones on, and had to say "Si" when I heard a beep. Took a few minutes. Then an eye test reading out letters on an eye chart. Passed both.

Sent to another office to see someone else. Forms signed, digital photo taken, then told to attend the DGT office 40 miles away on Tuesday. I won't get my Spanish licence then, but just a receipt that will allow me to ride and drive until my Spanish licence comes through.

So a bit of a chore just "swapping" a licence. And if anyone living here with residency has a UK licence but hasn't applied to exchange it by 31 Dec 2020, they may find that they will have to take a Spanish driving test, which is apparently opens a whole new world of problems....
I had to do exactly the same tests. I thought I'd failed as well ;)

But the medical place was just over the road from the Trafico office who did the paperwork.

And I did it early for the same reason. My pals who delayed are all fluent speakers so aren't too worried.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I had to wait until I heard that I had been accepted as a resident, otherwise I would have applied weeks and weeks ago.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:43 pm I had to wait until I heard that I had been accepted as a resident, otherwise I would have applied weeks and weeks ago.
I got my residencia as soon as I could so I could buy the car and the dirt bike.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Bought my bikes just using my NIE as a non resident.