Multi bike tax.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Multi bike tax.

Post by Dodgy69 »

I generally pay 12 months up front as it's the cheapest rate, but it's getting spendy, big bike is £117. A mate does DD monthly, so he'll tax the one he wants to use and sorn at end of that month. Basically, he's not having them all taxed at the same time.

Whats your thoughts on this very important dilemma.???
Yamaha rocket 3
Ditchfinder

Re: Multi bike tax.

Post by Ditchfinder »

The chopping and changing tax is easy but insurance switching is a pain and can usually only be done over the phone and incurs an 'Admin' fee. swap it 2 or 3 times and you might be better off paying for the whole year
'07 Griso 1100 (for sale), '94 Sprint 900, the scabbiest Himalayan in the country
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Tax at the 12 month rate, but SORN them as and when you don't use them. The LC is my all year round bike as it's classed as historic, so no road tax. The bike(s) I leave in France go on SORN at the end of the month I return to the UK (end of this month for the VFR) and re-taxed at the start of the month I arrive back in France (usually April). Leaving multiple bikes taxed all year round can get quite expensive quite quickly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
McNab

Post by McNab »

What's the point in the DD? It's more expensive in total, means you have to contact the bank to cancel it and also SORN it as normal. I guess he doesn't pay the big chunk up front though.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

If you can't afford to tax a bike, it might be time to admit you don't need it.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I have a SV650S for Winter use & a Street Triple for Spring-Autumn,also early this year I bought a pre reg SV650X as it was cheap.I don't want 3 bikes on the road at the same time so they're all insured but usually one of them is SORN'd & I claim the tax back.The Street Triple will be getting SORN'd at the end of the month.I always pay for 12 months tax & get a refund,I'm not sure monthly debits would be less expensive,I guess it depends on how often you use the bikes.I just wish that they would abolish road tax & put the duty on petrol at the pump,but I guess they make more revenue with the current set up.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Over here, you are only responsible to tax a vehicle that you own on 1st January. Many new bikes and cars are purchased on 2nd Jan onwards

The fee (ITVM) is calculated by the council of the town the bike is registered in, and is based on emissions and bhp, but this amount differs from town to town.

The payment for the full years ITVM has to be made in May, either by Direct Debit, bank transfer or cash.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Only buy bikes made in or before 1984. Does away with that tax and MOT bollox. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It's about 15€ a bike here. Car is about 30€
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

McNab wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:26 pm What's the point in the DD? It's more expensive in total, means you have to contact the bank to cancel it and also SORN it as normal. I guess he doesn't pay the big chunk up front though.
Don't think you have to contact bank, it's just sorned.
Yamaha rocket 3
McNab

Post by McNab »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 4:18 pm
McNab wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:26 pm What's the point in the DD? It's more expensive in total, means you have to contact the bank to cancel it and also SORN it as normal. I guess he doesn't pay the big chunk up front though.
Don't think you have to contact bank, it's just sorned.
Yeah, maybe. I always make sure I cancel the DD, just in case.