I'm getting too old for this crap...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

I'm getting too old for this crap...

Post by ZRX61 »

Did about 180 miles yesterday. Got home, sat down, took my boots off & immediately fell asleep in the chair. Woke up two hours later feeling like someone tried to fold me up like a deckchair. Went to bed, woke up this morning feeling like I fell down the stairs (there aren't any)
Problem #1: Forgot to take a 600 Motrin before I went riding
Problem #2: Forgot to take a 600 Motrin before I went to bed

Took one as soon as I woke up this morning before even getting out of bed. Probably should have had a 'nana a day for 3 or 4 days before riding.

Getting old isn't for pussies.

Bugger.
Buckaroo

Re: I'm getting too old for this crap...

Post by Buckaroo »

Yep, nothing worse than an old pussy :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Felix

Post by Felix »

I am just glad he stopped putting up his ride out videos. They were slow enough but now old age has creeped in :mrgreen:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Felix wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:07 am I am just glad he stopped putting up his ride out videos. They were slow enough but now old age has creeped in :mrgreen:
I'm not the slow one...It's these clueless fuckers.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

What are they doing wrong?

Looks like they're just out for a nice group ride on their retro motorcycles?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Just some fellows out for a gentle ride in glorious weather. Nothing better than just enjoying the scenery, not becoming part of the scenery due to speed and reckless overtaking of vehicles (not saying you did that!).
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:55 am What are they doing wrong?
Riding as a rolling road block, staggered formations, sitting on the 'white' line, wandering left to right at random......it's all a bit 'nobody comes past US, this is OUR road'.

I agree with the original assessment. :lol:

PS Some of these groups have a 'no overtaking' rule for the group. Assuming it applies to non-group members too is just a tad self-centred. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

There's a pack of old guys who used to go to the cafe at Burnham-on-Crouch on their old brit bikes. Some lovely old bikes between them and they dress the part, piss pot lids, old bike jackets with white socks over their boot tops etc. But they would really hog the road with their staggered formation and actively block anyone trying to get past them.

Back then the "Burnham Bends used to attract lot of riders, so the old guys caused a lot of conflict and confrontations at teh cafe. It would also wind up the riders trying to have some sport on the roads so they'd end up riding like total twats to get passed. If the old guys had just ridden single file and/or left some gaps there wouldn't have been a problem, but no, they seemed to think they were in charge of the roads. :roll:
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 3:35 pm Did about 180 miles yesterday. Got home, sat down, took my boots off & immediately fell asleep in the chair. Woke up two hours later feeling like someone tried to fold me up like a deckchair. Went to bed, woke up this morning feeling like I fell down the stairs (there aren't any)
Problem #1: Forgot to take a 600 Motrin before I went riding
Problem #2: Forgot to take a 600 Motrin before I went to bed

Took one as soon as I woke up this morning before even getting out of bed. Probably should have had a 'nana a day for 3 or 4 days before riding.

Getting old isn't for pussies.

Bugger.
Oh shit. Will I be like that when I'm as old as you? :(

:P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:55 am There's a pack of old guys who used to go to the cafe at Burnham-on-Crouch on their old brit bikes. Some lovely old bikes between them and they dress the part, piss pot lids, old bike jackets with white socks over their boot tops etc. But they would really hog the road with their staggered formation and actively block anyone trying to get past them.

Back then the "Burnham Bends used to attract lot of riders, so the old guys caused a lot of conflict and confrontations at teh cafe. It would also wind up the riders trying to have some sport on the roads so they'd end up riding like total twats to get passed. If the old guys had just ridden single file and/or left some gaps there wouldn't have been a problem, but no, they seemed to think they were in charge of the roads. :roll:
One of the main reasons I dislike riding in groups. Much happier meeting a big group at the cafe they’re going to! 🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Noggin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:12 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:55 am There's a pack of old guys who used to go to the cafe at Burnham-on-Crouch on their old brit bikes. Some lovely old bikes between them and they dress the part, piss pot lids, old bike jackets with white socks over their boot tops etc. But they would really hog the road with their staggered formation and actively block anyone trying to get past them.

One of the main reasons I dislike riding in groups. Much happier meeting a big group at the cafe they’re going to! 🤣🤣
Same here. Seen a few crashes in group rides and nearly been taken out by people showing off too, so I tend to avoid riding with anyone else. There's no truth in the rumour that i'm too slow to keep up and put myself at risk when i try to... :?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:12 am
I'm sort of like that, only I put my solitary behaviour down to the fact that I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:55 am What are they doing wrong?

Looks like they're just out for a nice group ride on their retro motorcycles?

20mph below the speed limit for starters. Hogging the road, not looking behind them. That wanker in P3 didn't look over once, even when I was right next to his rear wheel. Mr 59 in P2 was utterly oblivious. Complete bellendery.
They weren't all retro, the plonker with the 59 jacket was on a Beezer.
The first two I passed weren't part of that group, they ripped out of the gas station down the road, gave it the berries away from a light & then lost all momentum when they came up behind the Brit group.
If I see someone coming up behind me I move over to the right so they can get past without me hindering them. These fuckers need a swift kick in the plums.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:31 pm
20mph below the speed limit for starters. Hogging the road, not looking behind them. That wanker in P3 didn't look over once, even when I was right next to his rear wheel.
Unless things are different Stateside, it's a limit, not a mandatory target.

And you were 'right next to his rear wheel'? And you're questioning his riding style?

Physician...heal thyself. ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:44 pm
20mph below the speed limit for starters. Hogging the road, not looking behind them. That wanker in P3 didn't look over once, even when I was right next to his rear wheel.

And you were 'right next to his rear wheel'? And you're questioning his riding style?

Yes, that usually happens momentarily when you pass someone. :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:10 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:44 pm

Yes, that usually happens momentarily when you pass someone. :)
How close were you passing? :o

I would assume you'd give a wide berth when overtaking old dodderers, not hang on their rear wheel, given how they're all over the gaff.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:21 pm How close were you passing? :o

I would assume you'd give a wide berth when overtaking old dodderers, not hang on their rear wheel, given how they're all over the gaff.
I guess 4ft or so. At least I refrained from passing them on the right this time... altho with that said, if the guy in P3 had been further behind Mr 59 I would have passed that dozy bugger on the right just to wake the fucker up.

It's not like I was in a hurry like my somewhat younger self...

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The thing that scares me most in that video isn't anybody's riding, it's them fucking awful leather waistcoats. WTF?! :wtf:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:39 pm The thing that scares me most in that video isn't anybody's riding, it's them fucking awful leather waistcoats. WTF?! :wtf:
When The Snake was open these guys would have 2 or 3 riders go down every time they rode up there. I've also come across a few of their crashes on the road in the video ("The Playground"). One time I passed 3 crashes involving them within about 2 miles. The last mongfoolery I saw them involved in (a few months ago) was on the 101 freeway where they had various bikes spread across 4 lanes in two separate crashes a few hundred yards apart.