R9 all but announced

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Re: R9 all but announced

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:19 pm I'd assume the race one doesn't meet emission and drive by noise regs, that'd account for a big chunk of power.

"Race tune" probably doesn't even mess with the internals?
Even for bog standard race rules, the engine will be stripped and blue printed. That's worth a few gee gees.

Otherwise the engine will be stripped and breathed upon.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'd assume they don't even strip them in this particular case, they just build em 'properly' brand new since its a factory 'mod'.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:25 pm I'd assume they don't even strip them in this particular case, they just build em 'properly' brand new since its a factory 'mod'.
Any bike that is raced gets full strip down.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

In relation to World SSP.

There's a complicated set of rules that allow the different engine configurations and capacities to compete on a level playing field.

I've been googling and I think it's around the 140bhp mark. It seems they restrict the rev on some bikes so they don't exceed it.

There's 600/4s, 800/3 and 1000/2 in that class already.

I guess the CP3 only needs to find an extra 20bhp.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Don't they have really strict homologation too now? You have to give them load of actual reference hardware and get your engines dyno'd?

Saying "fuck it" to noise and emissions probably gets you most of the way there on this bike.

Blueprinting would still be within the rules cuase all you're doing is making sure you've got a good one.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Couple of years ago I was talking to a CB500 racer (who was also a bike breaker).

Tuning is completely banned, you cannot machine any part of the motor... however, the guys at the top buy half a dozen engines and build a good one from them using the parts as close to original spec as possible, basically blueprinting, but without the modification of any parts.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:45 pm original spec
And of course, 'original spec' on a CB500 is probably a barn door.

If/when Mr Honda builds a race CB500 he can look in his original design book - which is not available to the public - and just build the perfect CB500 engine right off the bat by carefully cherry picking all the bits off the production line, then putting them together with great care. It'd still be made out of parts which would be within spec for a boggo CB500, they're just really in spec :D