YouTube woes

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Silly Car

Re: YouTube woes

Post by Silly Car »

I’m torn on the whole ad-blocker conversation with regard to YouTube, yes the ads are intrusive, usually off topic and far too frequent at times, however, I thoroughly enjoy the content of the channels I subscribe to and don’t begrudge the “content creators” from earning a few quid on the back of adverts or sponsorship, although the latter can be intrusive and are usually for products I hold no interest in.

I usually let the first couple of ads run through to the end then hit the skip button as soon as it appears thereafter, hopefully that way the creator gets a few tenths of a penny from me viewing their content.

I think the YouTube premium cost is too high for the removal of adverts so don’t subscribe to that or any of the ad removal features of Amazon Prime , Netflix etc.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 3:24 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:36 pm Ads at the start I could live with.
Ads in the middle I hate.
Sponsored video's I could live with.
All three together when I'm just trying to find something to pass 10 minutes, nah not happening.

And with a 305 billion dollar revenue last year, 238 of which is from advertising, I won't fret none about blocking adverts.
How is any of that justification for not having to pay for something? :lol:

"They make loads of money, therefore I shouldn't have to pay, everyone else should". Doesn't sound sensible when you say it out loud to me :D

"just trying to find something to pass 10 minutes", yet you feel the need to go out of your way to access the service for free.
Meh, I don't go out of my way so as to withhold revenue from them, I go out of my way to make my life more enjoyable / less cluttered with crap, and they could stand to earn less and still be minted, if their premium service was more reasonable I'd be happy to pay to 'legally' avoid the adverts and not dick around with ad blockers, but rip off Britain prices are a rip off.

Beside they don't pay tax and employ child slave labour to make their devices probably so fuck 'em.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

It's a conundrum. Ads are shit for the consumer but thye're the only way that content will continue in it's current form. Mess whith it too much (i.e. we all avoid the ads) and they'll start paying less, the channels that have relatively low viewing figures will shut-up-shop and it'll all get very vanilla, like most High Streets.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Google Chrome will start disabling uBlock Origin from now on, according to this post:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/10/15/242 ... ad-blocker

Hardly surprising - Google owns Youtube and wants to ensure that users of the Google Chrome browser can't bypass ads on their platforms. It's another example of IT monoliths like Google being able to force users down a particular route whether they like it or not.

I'm hopeful that Firefox, not being part of the Google ecosystem, will continue to allow uBlock Origin to do its thing on FF browsers
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The bastards.

Making it so they don't stop themselves earning money. What are they, a business or something? :D

EDIT: P.S. who was it who mentioned enshitification? :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:22 pm The bastards.

Making it so they don't stop themselves earning money. What are they, a business or something? :D

That'll be me. :D
Welcome to the Early Enshittocene Age.

(When the future alien archaeologists investigate the history of the planet the age will be recognised from their digs through ancient mass deposits of disposed of, unmaintainable consumer goods and Halloween tat).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:07 am

(When the future alien archaeologists investigate the history of the planet the age will be recognised from their digs through ancient mass deposits of disposed of, unmaintainable consumer goods and Halloween tat).

I've heard the term enshitification before, more zpecifically in relation to internet platforms.

"Enshittification (alternately, crapification and platform decay) is a pattern in which online products and services decline in quality. Initially, vendors create high-quality offerings to attract users, then they degrade those offerings to better serve business customers, and finally degrade their services to users and business customers to maximize profits for shareholders.

Writer Cory Doctorow coined the neologism "enshittification" in November 2022, though he was not the first to describe and label the concept.[1][2] The American Dialect Society selected it as its 2023 Word of the Year."

Plus Enshitification kind of reminds me of Kippleization which I read about in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2024 10:26 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:07 am

I've heard the term enshitification before, more zpecifically in relation to internet platforms.
Yup. I posted the Wiki link in relation to Internet type stuff previously but the model seems to be spreading, although even say, car insurance companies, are Internet businesses these days. Supermarket 'loyalty' cards are another example - ie give us your data or we'll apply a surcharge over and above the, supposedly, discount price you get with your 'card'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire