2025 France / Spain tour

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Bustaspoke

2025 France / Spain tour

Post by Bustaspoke »

Seeing as it's pouring down all day.I've been inspired to start planning next years Euro tour.
My mate's have mentioned the Pico's D'europa a few times,I was out there on my XT600 back in 2010.If they decide to go they'll get the ferry down to Santander & stay in a hotel for a week,I'm planning on going for 4 weeks,mainly camping so I've been on Google maps for a few hours & it's looking like
Dieppe/Amiens/Thonon les bains Route de Grand Alpes to Menton/Nice/Castelaine Verdun gorge/Gorge de Tarn/Beziers/Collioure/across to Potes to meet my mates,then Biarritz,up the west coast to Concarneau/Caen for the ferry home.
It comes in at 3600 miles including 300 miles each way to the south coast for the ferry.
This time I'm hoping to get some miles/ KM's covered after this years disaster catching covid the day before I was due to leave :shock:
I've rode through a few of those towns & areas before.I'm planning mid June to Mid July avoiding the French holidays,never done the Route de Grande Alps,Verdun gorge or Tarn gorge anyone got any input?
mangocrazy

Re: 2025 France / Spain tour

Post by mangocrazy »

What time of year? If you're passing Beziers and we're in residence, then pop in and say hi!
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Sounds like a cracking trip that. 👍 Mountain pass closures can be an issue but by mid June hopefully OK.
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:29 pm What time of year? If you're passing Beziers and we're in residence, then pop in and say hi!
Oh, near the big nuddie beach?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've always fancied touring that part of Spain.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:48 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:29 pm What time of year? If you're passing Beziers and we're in residence, then pop in and say hi!
Cap d'Agde is the nearest I can think of.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

All the nuddie beaches I've ever seen have been a major disappointment*. No stunning beauties... more hoary old men living out fantasies you seriously don't want to think about.

* wandered into a few while I was travelling in France/Spain in 2018/9.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:21 pm
That's the one, you dirty old man!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:18 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:21 pm

That's the one, you dirty old man!
Never been there, have no desire to do so...
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Which bike are you planning on taking?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I'll take my SV650X,the V-Twin should be fun on the D roads,my 250 LC was back in the day :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The Route de Grandes Alpes has been on my list for years. Chuck up dates when yr sure and I’ll see if I can book holiday to come and meet up - if you don’t mind a random internet weirdo riding some of the holiday with you guys?!! Although as everyone knows, what I plan to do/would like to do versus what actually happens is almost never the same 😞😞
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

It's just a basic plan at the moment,I'm planning on mid June to mid July.My mate's are thinking of going back to Scotland in May,but if they change their mind's the Picos is near the top of the list.If we go to Scotland in May,I'll give the Picos a miss,if they decide to go to the Picos I'll meet them in Potes.Either way I'll be doing the Route de Grande Alps,Verdon & Tarn gorges.
@mangocrazy If I decide to go back to Colioure via Beziers I'll pop in if you're home
@Noggin Yes your welcome to meet me on the Route Grande Alps.As someone who was floored with covid the day before they should have got the ferry this year I can assure you that you're not the only one who's plans occasionally fall apart :shock: ...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:57 pm It's just a basic plan at the moment,I'm planning on mid June to mid July.My mate's are thinking of going back to Scotland in May,but if they change their mind's the Picos is near the top of the list.If we go to Scotland in May,I'll give the Picos a miss,if they decide to go to the Picos I'll meet them in Potes.Either way I'll be doing the Route de Grande Alps,Verdon & Tarn gorges.
@mangocrazy If I decide to go back to Colioure via Beziers I'll pop in if you're home
@Noggin Yes your welcome to meet me on the Route Grande Alps.As someone who was floored with covid the day before they should have got the ferry this year I can assure you that you're not the only one who's plans occasionally fall apart :shock: ...
Great stuff. If you're going anywhere along the coastal strip between Collioures and Montpellier, then let me know and theres a garage and a cool beer waiting if we're home. The time you're planning may coincide with the Tour de France - they will be passing near us on 20th July - something else to consider...

Be aware that mid July is probably the hottest part of the year in southern France... :D
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Oh I'm considering the TDF,I'm a fan & hoping to see a stage 'live',but apart from the first 3 stages starting in Lille I haven't seen any route details.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Its apparently doing Courchevel and La Plagne - not 'that' far from a start point for the Route de Grandes Alpes!! :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:57 pm It's just a basic plan at the moment,I'm planning on mid June to mid July.My mate's are thinking of going back to Scotland in May,but if they change their mind's the Picos is near the top of the list.If we go to Scotland in May,I'll give the Picos a miss,if they decide to go to the Picos I'll meet them in Potes.Either way I'll be doing the Route de Grande Alps,Verdon & Tarn gorges.
Next year will be interesting cos, as long as I pass the course I'm on, I'll be working full time and all year around for the first time in a very very long time!! Not sure how holidays are going to work so will wing it a bit and see how your dates fit in with the boss' plans!! LOL