In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

The bigger issue is ultra processed food. The entire food chain in the developed world has been hijacked by corporate greed and industrialised manufacture. These faceless corporate globalists are not interested in producing healthy nutritious food, they are interested in profit. End of story.

Except of course that the crap they are feeding us is causing these massive problems. Ultra processed food is everywhere and the purveyors have been busy trying to acquire the entire means of production. Excess sugar, fat and salt plus some minor tweaks to make it as addictive as possible, followed by incessant unrelenting advertising. Shame they don't put anything like as much effort into actually making the stuff good for you.

I am preaching to the converted of course. You all know this but the larger majority of the population just go for what's easiest, cheapest and quickest. We all get to pay for it of course...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:24 pm The bigger issue is ultra processed food.
Yep. Pile it high, sell it cheap....

What boils my piss is watching obese parents passing on their poor eating habits to their kids. I've lost count how many times I've seen obese parents with heartbreakingly (literally) obese kids, pushing a supermarket trolley full of ultra processed shit-in-a-box ready meal slop. You could call it a 'hidden killer', but FFS, it's in plain sight.
You wouldn't give your kids 20 B&H or a bottle of Smirnoff at that age. Why is it OK to let them get that unhealthy via the food you're giving them?

Edit: more from Auntie Beeb...

BBC News - NHS needs better plan around obesity jabs, warn experts - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5y03p4xlx8o
Last edited by gremlin on Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ps. My maxim on UPF: pick up an item, read the ingredients. If you can't buy all the ingredients listed in that shop, put it back. Simple.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Just for interest. A bit of a study on why some people lose more weight than others on the same exercise regime. It's them genes again! (It popped up on today's Conversation newsletter thingy).

https://theconversation.com/trying-to-l ... e%20regime
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:27 am Ps. My maxim on UPF: pick up an item, read the ingredients. If you can't buy all the ingredients listed in that shop, put it back. Simple.
Well, that's dished my breakfast 'good gut berry boost' sprinkles.

M&S don't sell linseed, hemp or chia seed, goji and açai berries...or mulberries. So, just bananas in future. :(

Actually, that ^^^ maxim probably does for the rolled oats based breakfast cereal too.

A banana it is then. 🍌

:lol:
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:21 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:27 am Ps. My maxim on UPF: pick up an item, read the ingredients. If you can't buy all the ingredients listed in that shop, put it back. Simple.

A banana it is then. 🍌

Better be fucking organic and Fairtrade, you bastard. :angry-cussingblack:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:36 am

A banana it is then. 🍌

+ 5p bonus for selecting unpacked produce. :thumbup:

The term 'ultra processed' is a bit pointless really. Most food is processed, some of it quite a lot, even some of the good stuff. It's the ingredients and additives that need the focus. Preservatives are additives but perform a useful function. A £2 chicken appears to be pretty much the same as a £15 organic one...is the £2 one 'ultra processed'? Beer and chocolate are probably ultra processed.

I dunno, it all seems a bit of a 'squirrel!' to me. 'Junk food' seems a more honest tag for a lot of it.

Moofo would probably have a view but he's on holibobs.
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:57 am Just for interest. A bit of a study on why some people lose more weight than others on the same exercise regime. It's them genes again! (It popped up on today's Conversation newsletter thingy).

https://theconversation.com/trying-to-l ... e%20regime
These research items are interesting, but I think throw up of issues, namely confusing the buggery out of people and potentially putting them off taking up a bit of simple exercise, plus I can't help but feel it gives credence to people who know full well they're living unhealthy lives, but hide behind, 'Well, I think I have the genes that mean I don't lose weight'

On a slight tangent, I have a mate who I used to go on the odd lunchtime run with. Covid came and went and he got out of the habit, piled on the weight to the point his shirt buttons were popping, but then told me he had a joined a brilliant gym. It involved standing on various machines to get data points, then each visit you were handed a band that told you what to do. Fuck knows how much this was costing.

A few years on, it's a kind of success as he's fitting in his shirts better, coz he's gone and bought a load of bigger ones. Weight-wise, I'd say he's bigger, as he's convinced himself that paying for a swanky gym means he can eat 3-4 takeaways a week and go on the beer at the weekends with no ill effect. I did ask him once how many calories he was burning on these hi-tech machines during a work out. He had no idea.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:05 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:36 am

A banana it is then. 🍌

+ 5p bonus for selecting unpacked produce. :thumbup:

The term 'ultra processed' is a bit pointless really. Most food is processed, some of it quite a lot, even some of the good stuff. It's the ingredients and additives that need the focus. Preservatives are additives but perform a useful function. A £2 chicken appears to be pretty much the same as a £15 organic one...is the £2 one 'ultra processed'? Beer and chocolate are probably ultra processed.

I dunno, it all seems a bit of a 'squirrel!' to me. 'Junk food' seems a more honest tag for a lot of it.

Moofo would probably have a view but he's on holibobs.
Agreed. Cheese is a processed food. And bloody lovely. As is beer.
First Google hit sums it up pretty well:
https://www.heart.org/en/news/2020/01/2 ... our-health
'Ultra processed' can be a woolly term, and the lines can blur between each of the 'groups', but common sense is your friend. Cook from scratch, be mindful of calories and if it's the colour of a fucking clown's tie, leave it well alone. It's been proven that UPF give the brain a dopamine hit that leaves you wanting more, 'rewiring' the brain as to what to expect from food. What can only be called 'addiction' follows...

The late Dr Mosley did a good program on it a while back. I'll see if I can find a link.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Inflation has dropped to 1.7% (vs. exp. 1.9%). This virtually bakes in the Nov. rate drop and makes a Dec. one more likely too.

If you're in the market to buy or remortgage: sit tight!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

England football team have signed a German...

I'm fucking astounded at this article

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

What do you expect from the Daily Mail?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:45 am What do you expect from the Daily Mail?
I don't know, i've not read a newspaper in 50 years, so have no idea what paper has what leanings, but that seems pretty racist to me and i'm quite surprised anyone would get away with writing that in the days of political correctness
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

LOL.

You wanna read what they have to say about immigrants stealing wheelie bins in an attempt to lower house prices.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:50 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:45 am What do you expect from the Daily Mail?
I don't know, i've not read a newspaper in 50 years, so have no idea what paper has what leanings, but that seems pretty racist to me and i'm quite surprised anyone would get away with writing that in the days of political correctness
I'd say your assessment is spot on, but it's par for the course for the Daily Mail. See also the Express, the Sun and (slightly higher-brow and better disguised racism) the Telegraph.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:50 am
The Daily Mail is a pro Brexit, pro Tory paper, it seems to be its mission to wind up its readers. The Guardian have a different take on his appointment, as you would expect.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ea-tactics
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:59 am as you would expect.
Did you miss the bit where i don't read paper ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:42 am England football team have signed a German...

I'm fucking astounded at this article

As a Liverpool fan, would you have minded Klopp ?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:18 am Inflation has dropped to 1.7% (vs. exp. 1.9%). This virtually bakes in the Nov. rate drop and makes a Dec. one more likely too.

If you're in the market to buy or remortgage: sit tight!
They might have been expecting it, Halifax dropped their rate last week.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:27 am As a Liverpool fan, would you have minded Klopp ?
I don't care about football as i once would have. However i wouldn't have given a monkeys if Klopp had taken it, he did his job, brought glory and an amazing squad, job done. I'd be 'offended' if he went to Utd or another Premier club. But in terms of internationals, nah, i'm all good.