Suzuki en 125

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Eclipse

Re: Suzuki en 125

Post by Eclipse »

The Suzuki VanVan has exactly the same drain plug and neutral indent setup and it's a really common thing for the spring and plunger to be put back incorrectly.

I just bought my VanVan from a dealer and they said they serviced it before delivering it but I don't know if they used good oil
so this weekend going to replace the oil and check that neutral indent locator just so that I know its right.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Plenty of rust to remove and treat with kurust.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Shocks are nasty but hopefully they will clean up.

Looks worse than it is.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Well junior passed his cbt last month and we have a fresh mot on the little beast.

Most of the work was de-rusting and tarting it up cosmetically.Front brake was awful but new fluid and pads has sorted that out although the hose could do with replacing. I had to make a chain slider out if some flattened hose as the old one was missing and also buy a chainguard.

The carb still needs some tweeking as the revs are hanging a bit before it drops to a steady idle, got a new pilot jet to go in when I can be arsed to wrestle with the rather hardened carb boot again.

The only issue is the missing 4th gear, I suspect that piece of metal found in the sump is one arm of a shift fork :thumbdown: Time will tell if it’s worth stripping the gearbox to fix but I found it still rideable, I’ll see what my son thinks after his maiden voyage to work today, probably time to cut our losses and get something new if he finds it annoying.

Total spend £500 ish.

A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Looks so much better for painting the frame.
Shame about the gearbox damage - maybe that's what had the bike laid up n the first place?
Is it within your power to fix? I guess you're looking at part + oil + head & base gasket + sealer for the halves + a bit of time?
Feels like a shame to have put this much effort in and not do that bit, however that's also the logic that gets good money thrown after bad.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:22 am Looks so much better for painting the frame.
Shame about the gearbox damage - maybe that's what had the bike laid up n the first place?
Is it within your power to fix? I guess you're looking at part + oil + head & base gasket + sealer for the halves + a bit of time?
Feels like a shame to have put this much effort in and not do that bit, however that's also the logic that gets good money thrown after bad.
Yeah it’s doable if time consuming fix, If it was mine I’d carry on without 4th and wait for decent 2nd hand engine to slot in.There were 3 on ebay when we started this, now only one ropey specimen showing there. :roll:

Depends on how my son gets on with it today.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bloody hell, top work, that looks unrecognisable to the first pics
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

What's going on with the number plate?
Looks like a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:29 pm What's going on with the number plate?
Looks like a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer.
Budget fix of the old broken plate, need the reg doc to get a new one, waiting a month so far for DVLA to sort it.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Well he’s ridden it to work for the last week no problems, just needs a double tap from 3rd to 5th.It’s pretty flat round here anyway.

He’s going to book for a full licence training in August so it’ll do till then.

Just took it out for a spin round the block and reached the heady speed of 55mph :bblonde:

I’m really impressed how nicely it handles, just a shame it’s so gutless.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Speedos have got more accurate since I had a 125.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Top job!
non quod, sed quomodo
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Well the old shitter is still running :P

The tank now has a crack around the fuel sender plate and can’t be filled more than halfway or it leaks, the 16 yr old battery out of my tenere barely has enough oomph left to turn the starter motor so it’s bump started more often than not but it only needs to last unit thursday when the lad has his test.

Looking out for a second hand engine and tank, it’s a keeper and I think he’s grown quite attached to it as it’s handy around town.