Groombridge Have Closed Down.....

Anything you like about motorbikes
Didge

Groombridge Have Closed Down.....

Post by Didge »

I only found out today via a Youtube vid, that Groombridge motorcycles have closed down.
I bought my Enfield from them a year ago, and have had it serviced by them. The staff were really helpful, so it's very sad to see yet another established dealer going down the swanny. Bugger. :(
Whysub

Re: Groombridge Have Closed Down.....

Post by Whysub »

Very sad. They used to sponsor my mate Les on his TZ250
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The way it's going, we'll only be able to buy bikes from dumps like the superbike factory. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
wull

Post by wull »

Nobody can afford to survive now with the ridiculous rates you have to pay, business, insurance, energy costs etc. It’s a total epic cluster fuck of mammoth proportions.
Didge

Post by Didge »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:44 am The way it's going, we'll only be able to buy bikes from dumps like the superbike factory. 👎
I can't find anything to confirm this, but on another YT vid I watched, apparently P & H motorcycles in Crawley are also closing down. According to the vid, the building is to become a SuperBike Factory. So, if the rumour is correct, your statement looks like coming true. :(
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Didge wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:01 am
Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:44 am The way it's going, we'll only be able to buy bikes from dumps like the superbike factory. 👎
I can't find anything to confirm this, but on another YT vid I watched, apparently P & H motorcycles in Crawley are also closing down. According to the vid, the building is to become a SuperBike Factory. So, if the rumour is correct, your statement looks like coming true. :(
P&H have sold up to the Superbike Factory - not gone bust.
But they were not a great dealer !
Didge

Post by Didge »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:57 am P&H have sold up to the Superbike Factory - not gone bust.
But they were not a great dealer !
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that.
I always found them ok, if a little 'corporate' IYKWIM.
Much prefer my little m/cycle shop in Horley, (T. Northeast). Very friendly, very helpful, service is cheaper than the big boys, and plenty of banter on top. :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Somewhat to my surprise, the number of cornershop scooter dealers here in London is on the rise... no idea how good any of them are... I suspect I'd not trust them to do much more than bolt a pizza delivery box on the rack.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Years ago my brother and I wanted to open a non franchised shop, mainly dealing in spares and a few selected bikes. Found the premises, a decently sized unit situated on the edge of town on the edge of an industrial site, and very close to a major trunk road.

Wanted to open from 06.00 to 10:00 and from 16:00 to 22:00 daily, mostly to cater for the many commuters in the area. We also wanted to have a small cafe area, nothing more than hot and sandwiches and drinks.

Council turned us down flat with no real reasons, apart from saying it was not in keeping with the area.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Whysub wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:54 am Years ago my brother and I wanted to open a non franchised shop, mainly dealing in spares and a few selected bikes. Found the premises, a decently sized unit situated on the edge of town on the edge of an industrial site, and very close to a major trunk road.

Wanted to open from 06.00 to 10:00 and from 16:00 to 22:00 daily, mostly to cater for the many commuters in the area. We also wanted to have a small cafe area, nothing more than hot and sandwiches and drinks.

Council turned us down flat with no real reasons, apart from saying it was not in keeping with the area.
Was the prospective site close to any residential areas? All I can think of is the council didn't want those nasty motorcycle types revving their engines up early doors and late at night.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

No, not close to any residences.

However, the industrial estate became a housing estate a few years after we put in our application.

We could have appealed, but our lawyer said we would just be paying him for a holiday...
cheb

Post by cheb »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:01 am
Whysub wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:54 am Years ago my brother and I wanted to open a non franchised shop, mainly dealing in spares and a few selected bikes. Found the premises, a decently sized unit situated on the edge of town on the edge of an industrial site, and very close to a major trunk road.

Was the prospective site close to any residential areas? All I can think of is the council didn't want those nasty motorcycle types revving their engines up early doors and late at night.
If that was the objection then they'd have a point. All those lovely race cans blaring away.