Riding Simulator?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Re: Riding Simulator?

Post by Yorick »

Okay, next idea.

They want to pay for extra training at a riding school.

Will they do what you ask for? Or is it set out?

They just want someone to spend a couple of hours showing him emergency braking and hazard reactions.

Ta :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:41 pm a bit slow to react to things sometimes.
Horse wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:16 am It's about:
- learning where to look and what for
- identifying risk
- asking 'how can that affect me?'
- deciding, planning, then taking, appropriate action

It's about that mindset.
Horse wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:40 pm Get him a session in a car, him as a passenger,with someone who can work on his hazard identification and planning.

"What if ____ happens, how could it affect me?"
Sitting alongside someone driving, who's explaining what they can see, how far ahead they're looking, and implications, then him having turns, could be far more valuable.

Looking and planning ahead earlier gives more time takes the pressure off needing quick reactions.

Proactive rather than reactive.

And I'm suggesting it's done in a car, with him as a passenger, for two reasons:

1. Full concentration / attention on what's happening ahead - none needed for riding.

2. Bike to bike comms will never be as good as in-car talking.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:40 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:41 pm a bit slow to react to things sometimes.
Horse wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:16 am It's about:
- learning where to look and what for
- identifying risk
- asking 'how can that affect me?'
- deciding, planning, then taking, appropriate action

It's about that mindset.
Horse wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:40 pm Get him a session in a car, him as a passenger,with someone who can work on his hazard identification and planning.

"What if ____ happens, how could it affect me?"
Sitting alongside someone driving, who's explaining what they can see, how far ahead they're looking, and implications, then him having turns, could be far more valuable.

Looking and planning ahead earlier gives more time takes the pressure off needing quick reactions.

Proactive rather than reactive.

And I'm suggesting it's done in a car, with him as a passenger, for two reasons:

1. Full concentration / attention on what's happening ahead - none needed for riding.

2. Bike to bike comms will never be as good as in-car talking.
Good idea 💡
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:14 pm Okay, next idea.

They just want someone to spend a couple of hours showing him emergency braking and hazard reactions.

My guess is that it will depend on the school. If it's a private/hourly lesson and not a course, they 'should' do as requested, but . . . !!

I took my test in 1997 and didn't buy a bike till 2002 (November of all months!). I'd been chatting with the guys in a bike shop where a mate was getting a bike and one of them was also an instructor. I said I was getting essentially my first bike (had a 175cc for about 6 weeks soon after my test) and really wanted someone to take me out and just check that I was doing things right.

I turned up on the agreed day - it was basically a monsoon :roll:

But, we went out for an hour and rode some different roads and he had a few comments, was generally happy with my riding but said to take it steady and build up

Difference being that I was a 32 year old girl with no bike mates to 'lead me astray'!!

I think they need to go talk to schools and find one that seems like they will do what is asked. Or, are they close enough to Spin to arrange a 1-2-1 or more?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I learned with a riding school (when I was 17, so even for me this is going back a bit) I just had random riding about time.

My parents paid for 3 days training for my Birthday, but I could already do most of the riding (i already had a years moped experience and could ride a full manual), so most of the 3 days was just riding around sorta practicing. There wasn't very much prescriptive training.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:14 pm Okay, next idea.

If you don't recognise an emergency, it doesn't matter if you've practiced emergency braking.

By the way, found and uploaded the old DSA video 'What if...?

Don't tell everyone, it's copyright ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Excellent road safety vid, and nice to see a young Suzi Perry, as well. Stuff like this should be free to air on grounds of safety training. It has to be getting on for 25 years old, so surely the statute of limitations has expired...

And I'm sure the backing music was on a techno compuilation I have 'In order to Dance' :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 7:36 pm the backing music was on a techno compuilation I have 'In order to Dance' :D
I say! Steady on, old chap.

Can't have any hint of fun associated with safety ...
The Spin Doctor

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 7:36 pm Excellent road safety vid, and nice to see a young Suzi Perry, as well. Stuff like this should be free to air on grounds of safety training. It has to be getting on for 25 years old, so surely the statute of limitations has expired...

And I'm sure the backing music was on a techno compuilation I have 'In order to Dance' :D
One of the backing tracks gave me a copyright strike... can't remember who it was.

I'll dig out some of the others I've got, and upload them. I never understood why they were never fully released - they spent cash to make them, why not use them?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:09 pm . I never understood why they were never fully released - they spent cash to make them, why not use them?
Do you mean the DVA (as was) videos? They were done for sale.

As was their [awful] post-test DVD.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:35 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:09 pm . I never understood why they were never fully released - they spent cash to make them, why not use them?

Could have made them public domain after sales dropped off.

Which post-test DVD do you mean?
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:18 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:35 am

Could have made them public domain after sales dropped off.

Which post-test DVD do you mean?
IIRC it was available when they had the post-test Enhanced Rider underway.

It was a mix of video and animation. Included some sage advice, such as how to deal with running wide in a bend: go slower next time.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:01 am
IIRC it was available when they had the post-test Enhanced Rider underway.

It was a mix of video and animation. Included some sage advice, such as how to deal with running wide in a bend: go slower next time.
Mayhap I need a copy for the Shelf of Horrors.