Driving licence expiry

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scootabout

Driving licence expiry

Post by Scootabout »

I had a moment of mild panic earlier when I realised my driving licence expired today. I mentioned it to my wife, who said, "We looked into that several weeks ago and found that during covid there's an extension - don't you remember?"
"No. Oh, maybe vaguely."
Is this what lockdown has done for me? Amnesia - probably alcohol induced? Tell me I'm not alone :)
dayglo jim

Re: Driving licence expiry

Post by dayglo jim »

As everything has become more humdrum, the old humdrum stuff just drops off. Has the photo expiry has passed? As long as your appearance hasn't substantially changed I think it is a minor thing, more so with Covid.

You are not alone, I have had sporadic alcohol amnesia since I was a teen and hope this will continue for many years to come :thumbup:
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

dayglo jim wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:13 pm As long as your appearance hasn't substantially changed I think it is a minor thing, more so with Covid.
Ironically, it's been ridiculously difficult to recognise me since the day the licence was made. When they digitised and miniaturised the photo I looked like a ghost from day one. Mind you, as I've gone greyer/whiter it may have become more of a likeness, come to think of it :oops:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I would say keep an eye on the expiry date, i checked mine the other day and has plenty of time.

Reason i say is that a CBT student at the start of the year was a bloke with full bike license and also a few LGV and HGV entitlements. Been driving for years and recently lost his office managers job. Went for a job as an HGV recovery driver and was told his license didnt cover it. His card license had the tickets but it expired 12 months before so when it was checked online by the prospective employer he was shown as having a provisional license. He tried to renew it but DVLA stated there was no record of his passing any of his tests so back the provisional and they refused to acknowledge the card license he sent in. (Most online posts re this says DVLA will give 24 months grace but not in this case)

He has now passed a car test, done his additional tickets to get his HGV stuff back but has cost him thousands and the bike license was the last on his list to get back ........... and then lockdown hit the first time and his booked tests were cancelled for months
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I went and got mine renewed during the last lockdown. I needed current ID to start a new job and both my DL and Passport had expired!

Its a piece of piss at the post office now. They just scan your old licence, take a photo and you're done.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 pm I would say keep an eye on the expiry date, i checked mine the other day and has plenty of time.

Reason i say is that a CBT student at the start of the year was a bloke with full bike license and also a few LGV and HGV entitlements. Been driving for years and recently lost his office managers job. Went for a job as an HGV recovery driver and was told his license didnt cover it. His card license had the tickets but it expired 12 months before so when it was checked online by the prospective employer he was shown as having a provisional license. He tried to renew it but DVLA stated there was no record of his passing any of his tests so back the provisional and they refused to acknowledge the card license he sent in. (Most online posts re this says DVLA will give 24 months grace but not in this case)

He has now passed a car test, done his additional tickets to get his HGV stuff back but has cost him thousands and the bike license was the last on his list to get back ........... and then lockdown hit the first time and his booked tests were cancelled for months
That's properly outrageous, so because they can't manage their record keeping the bloke lost his licence?
I'd have taken that as far as I could to argue it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:38 am
That's properly outrageous, so because they can't manage their record keeping the bloke lost his licence?
The DVLAs ability to lose/add entitlements is almost funny it's so common. Mrs. D currently has full motorcycle "entitlement" despite having never ridden even a moped....

That's part of the reason I'd recommend going to the post office to renew. They show you all your details on the screen and ask you to confirm it's correct, then they renew it there and then. It takes a while for the physical card to arrive but AFAIK your actual renewal is instant.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 pm
The DVLAs ability to lose/add entitlements is almost funny it's so common. Mrs. D currently has full motorcycle "entitlement" despite having never ridden even a moped....

That's part of the reason I'd recommend going to the post office to renew. They show you all your details on the screen and ask you to confirm it's correct, then they renew it there and then. It takes a while for the physical card to arrive but AFAIK your actual renewal is instant.
I've actually not checked in years, IIRC my licence runs out in 2024, or is that my passport....I'd better have a look.

Being able to just remove 30yrs worth of licence entitlement is scary.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When I changed to a Spanish licence, they printed out all my current entitlements, then
I signed that.

Then can be no arguments :)
crust

Post by crust »

BBC watchdog did a feature on this as did MCN.

Not as rare as you would hope.

There was a story doing the rounds about a police motorcyclist who's motorcycle entitlement disappeared, took his boss to intervene to get them to reinstate it.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yup, but as others have also posted its not uncommon. When changing from a paper to a card license i had "lost" mine quite a while before so i could get a duplicate with all the correct entitlements so when i sent in the paper one i had a spare in case it came back without my bike entitlement.

I have a certified true copy of my current one signed by a solicitor "just in case" for the next renewal ;)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 pm I would say keep an eye on the expiry date, i checked mine the other day and has plenty of time.

And sadly you wouldn't get anywhere.

This issue has been happening for years, ever since the records went onto computer... someone types in the wrong data or hits the wrong button when you renew your licence and bingo... there's your entitlement gone.

I've been warning people about this for 25 years - no kidding. When I was working at Cinque Ports in Kent - the biggest independent school in the SE at the time - we used to get about one person a month in getting the bike licence back. Mostly people had lost bike entitlement but occasionally we got someone who'd also lost HGV / PSV.

When your licence arrives back from the DVSA it says in BIG LETTERS check all details and notify us of an error. They keep the application form for a month or two... but if you don't flag up an error immediately, it appears that it's destroyed and then the only record is the incorrect one held on the computer system. Of course, most people get their licence and shove it in the wallet without looking at it.

No it shouldn't happen. But it does. So the onus is on us to check the details properly.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

As above....do it at the Post Office using their ID service. Its all electronic and you can see there and then what they're putting in the system.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Sounds like someone should apply for a judicial review of the DVLA's records management and retention policies.
Didge

Post by Didge »

Quite a few years ago, I paid (I think), £5.00 or so to the DVLA, to send all the details that they held on me, which they have to do by law, on request.
I own a fairly large print-out from them, listing all my details and entitlements.
I can't remember how I went about it, as it was too long ago, but details are available via Google/internet.
Worth doing, as it is 100% proof that even the bureaucratic DVLA can't wriggle out of.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

No need to pay! (I think I posted this on TRC last year).

I too was worried that I might lose my bike entitlement if and when I got a photocard licence so I just emailed the DVLA for confirmation that their records were up to date. This is from the reply I received:

"Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/4/2019.
Your case reference number is 01382086.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

On checking your record I can confirm we hold that you passed your Category A (Motorcycle) test on 20/08/1980. 

Therefore if you exchanged your paper licence for a photocard licence this entitlement remain on your record.

We do not retain the old paper licence as we hold digital records. You may wish to keep a copy of your current licence yourself."

So, if you've any concerns, I'd suggest you contact DVLA before sending in your licence and keep a copy of their reply for future reference.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Mine runs out in 2032, which is a big advantage of the paper licence. Dreading getting caught speeding or somthing and needing a new card licence to have my points added to a loose bit of paper. I will lose my paper one if that happens. I think its stupid when you get asked for valid photo id and can't use an out of date passport. not as if the person changes just because of the date on a bit of official paper.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

GuzziPaul wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm Mine runs out in 2032, which is a big advantage of the paper licence. Dreading getting caught speeding or somthing and needing a new card licence to have my points added to a loose bit of paper. I will lose my paper one if that happens. I think its stupid when you get asked for valid photo id and can't use an out of date passport. not as if the person changes just because of the date on a bit of official paper.
There's no paper part to go with the card any more. If you need to show eg your points record for, eg, car hire you can do it online.

Also, to get a readout to your entitlements (earlier posts) you can do this:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can drive a tractor :D

I did not know that.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:49 pm
There's no paper part to go with the card any more. If you need to show eg your points record for, eg, car hire you can do it online.

Also, to get a readout to your entitlements (earlier posts) you can do this:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Us old blokes with ping paper licences have in (clean ) on the back.
Just checked my details and they have everything which is good bike, car and trail 7.5 tonner with trailer and minibus.

It also runs out in exactly 12 years today :thumbdown: