What was the best bike you have ever owned

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

What was the best bike you have ever owned

Post by Bigyin »

As it says on the tin just like the other thread

Some might have a hard time with this one as everybody remembers the shitters more and be spoiled for choice between a few

For me its easy :thumbup:

Ducati Multistrada 1200S GT

On my second one now and it does exactly what the bikes name means "Many Roads". I have had sports bikes that i have toured on but didnt have the comfort. Had the GS1150 which had the comfort for distance but no performance. The big Multi does it all. I have commuted in all weathers all year round on it. I have toured Europe on it doing 7 and 800 mile days in comfort. I have taken it up mountains on rocky and sandy trails a 4 X 4 would take carefully. I have taken it on a track day and surprised myself on how well it felt to the extent i will take it to Portimao and try and push it and myslef a bit more.

Used it fully loaded with all sorts of luggage, stripped it back for track use .....its just a superb bit of kit that makes me smile every time i ride it. Its not the fastest or best handling but its dealt with everything i have thrown at it

What say you lot ??
KungFooBob

Re: What was the best bike you have ever owned

Post by KungFooBob »

FZR400RR Official UK 4DX Model.

First Wheelie
First Stoppie
First Knee Down
First Trackday

All on N880 DWF.

Looked just like this one...

Traded it in for a brand new R6 in 1999, which was arguably a better bike in every way... but without the memories.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Oooft, very tough one indeed.

But I'm going to say KTM 690 Duke.
I did a tonne of trackdays, loads of miles, I toured Europe, it never once complained. I enjoyed every single ride on the 690s.

My favourite ever picture of it. That's Mrs Weeksy just about to destroy me at Rocki on the straight on her R1

RockiCeriSteve_zps3xhnoi3c by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode LITE
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

1199 👍
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Tbh.. I don't know.

Loved the fizzy at 16. Bought different style bikes since, got bored and changed. Some were more reliable, some looked better, some handled better. Some were faster. But which was the best .

No idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Loved them all.
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Probably 1998 R1, it was mental fun that ended in a cracked vertebrae and near paralysis

The bike I owned and ride the longest was the DRZ400 I bought after the R1, I had that 9 years and used it for all of them

Bike I did the most miles on was probably my 1985 GSXR750, had that 3 years and did about 30,000 miles on it, first bike I saw over 150mph on the Speedo on, I used to get it bouncing off the rev limiter in top on a downhill but if the A6 between Buxton and Matlock

Bikes I've repeat bought, FZ750, because I never felt I have my first one a fair chance, RD350YPVS, because I regretted selling my first one - best bike I currently own FZR400RR
Last edited by Le_Fromage_Grande on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Couchy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 pm1199 👍
Of all the bikes you have owned over the years i was kinda hoping there would be a little more to it than 4 numbers for the post :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Skub

Post by Skub »

For me each bike is of it's era and all of them at the time have been the best bike I've ever owned.

I have never bought a bike as my 'main' bike,that I didn't lust after and want above all others.

My choice of bikes may not have always been the best in their respective classes,or win road tests and public opinion,but they were all my choice and so the best for me.

Using my most recent as an example,the Z1000R isn't the best on paper,not the most modern,powerful,nor does it have the most toys,but right now in this moment it's the best bike I've ever owned.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

ZX-7R P1. First big bike, first bike I got my knee down on, had some glorious track days on it upsetting early R1's and Blades. Awesome road presence and always looked the part. Mrs M and I toured Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium on it. It saved me when I hit rolls of turf on the local bypass bends (at ahem 70).

However the Z H2 may surpass the 7, just need to ride her more.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

boring but true ZZR1400 its done everything Ive asked of it. Ridiculously fast very capable, Much more than me. toured europe on it many times Big mileages it eats them, I have owned and toured A ZZ1100 and a GSXR 1300 Stealth busa Which I found needed a lot of aclimatisation to get on with. But always the Z, it feels right. Also had a ZX12R naughty but nice, ver heavy too for long days.

Rebburner and the rest of us on the N260 in the Pyrenees great trip
Last edited by rodbargee on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Somewhere between the 2009 and 2013 GSXR1000s. Awesome fun on road and track. The new one is OK, but not a brilliant bike. Hmm, maybe I'm being picky as it's so close. I hope it's good at Portimao, then it will be the best. If not, I'll get rid of it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Best bike or the one I loved the most?

The best bike was probably the Dragster RC.
It was the best all round package that I've ever had, it felt special every time you just looked at it, the chassis, engine and power all fitted perfectly together and it was loads of fun.
I'm sure there are loads of better bikes on paper but they did a great job of making a really useful all round package that felt very special. Dealing direct with the factory and having it flown in specially from Italy also made it feel like an event.

The one I loved the most was probably my RD25LC when I was 17.
We were inseparable, it sounds cheesy but it was like having a dog and when it got nicked and written off I was gutted, I remember sitting with my mates and getting hugs off the girls because I was so miserable.
It wasn't especially reliable and it wasn't even the best RD125LC around, but I loved that bike.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

As alluded to it’s all about context and time. At 16 my AP50 was the best bike ever, at 18 my first jap multi (CB9000FZ) was the best bike ever.... right now my Speed Twin is nigh on perfect for me but my T140V is the one I’ll never sell
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

That’s difficult.

XJ650 as the only brand new bike I’ve ever owned has a special place even though it wasn’t the ‘best’ at anything.

GSXR 750 SRAD in the gold/brown colour scheme that was a head turner back in the day and a fantastic piece of kit.

Best in terms of what I need right now is my Sprint GT which takes me and the OH everywhere in comfort.

The best seems to change depending on your circumstances at the time.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

From a bike experience POV - KTM 950 SM
From the travel I did on it - GS 1150 Adv
From the people I met - and am still in contact with - Buell Cyclone
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Best Fun bike was probably the ZXR400, I learnt a hell of a lot on that bike and had enormous fun on it. Not the most comfortable (especially once I got sedentary in an office job), but very very capable. I'd even partially credit it with helping me recover from the accident where I nearly lost my right leg. Having a bike ready to go that I REALLY wanted to ride made me persevere with the physio to get back on, and once on, I'm sure it also helped build up the muscles in the leg through use. I'd have that bike now if I could contort myself onto it.

Best bike overall would be the Rockster, otherwise I wouldn't be on my 4th. ;) :D
Ok it's not as powerful as most, it's heavier than most, and it's got 'different' looks, but it's capable of doing virtually everything I ask of it, and a lot more: commute in all weathers? check; be good fun to ride on A-roads, B-roads, C-roads and tracks? check; be easy to maintain (and not need much)? check; capable of keeping up with much faster bikes when absolutely necessary? check (with caveats, natch ;) ). It's not a great bike on track (the bars are too wide and the cylinder heads too low), but then I don't do much track riding anymore so that's irrelevant.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 am
From the people I met - and am still in contact with - Buell Cyclone
Mechanics? :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

It ain't pretty but I loved it. Best bike ever for long, floaty, unthreatening wheelies:

Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Did 150,000 miles on my GSX-R commuting to work for 8 years, but not my favourite.

Fell for the RC8 which did two lengthy European Tours (Slovakia and Austria in 2018, Croatia and the Balkans in 2019) and track days too.
20180523_111055-1.jpg
20180523_111055-1.jpg (799.02 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Then got an RC8R to join it. Hard to seperate which was better.
20201127_175807.jpg
20201127_175807.jpg (227.5 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Forced to sell them both because having them matriculated when I moved to Spain was going to be both difficult and expensive. My biggest regret of moving countries.
G.P

Post by G.P »

The "best" bike would have to be my current 1200 Monster apart from weather protection, it does everything better than all the previous bikes I've had but as @Harry eluded to, Best isn't necessarily most loved.

Both My 900SS Ducatis are close to the top of my list, I'd like to always keep a road going version or maybe a superlight.
My C15 BSA and my RD250 are neck and neck in the rose tinted memories stakes, probably because of the teenage kicks thing.
They're all great really.