Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: R9 all but announced

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:39 am
weeksy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:38 am
Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:31 am
I meant that figure was the maximum in the 80s.
Seems tame by comparison. If it's a sports bike, give it a bit of welly.
Well that was the R7 being discussed, that's not a sportsbike in a true context. But then again neither really is the R9, but the R9 will be about 115bhp if using the CP3 engine, which is about what most people really need. But as said, sportsbikes are dead anyway.
Not over here. Hundreds out every weekend.
LOL you're the only one there :) You'll have to forgive us for putting it into a UK context as that's where 99.9% of us live.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:34 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:14 am
weeksy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:10 am

Well 23bhp is 2024, so is 65, 90, 120. Not all bikes are meant to be 200bhp. You have to cater for all people
This.

The days of the hugely powerful 200 bhp sportsbike are going to be coming to an end sooner rather than later, outside of the track, there's fewer and fewer places you can use that sort of power and if we're being honest, the vast majority of people who own them are point and squirt merchants who shit bricks if someone comes along on a well ridden 600.

The sales figures don't lie, the manufacturers know that fewer people want bigger bikes so they happily churn out the 700-800 twins knowing that people will buy them buy the truckload. It'll eventually be that the emissions will kill the mega power bikes or they'll end up like Ferraris or McLarens, premium products with a price tag to match that are out of reach for most folk.
I just redlined mine in first 3 gears in me t-shirt and shorts.

That certainly wakes you up. Was supposed to be a gentle ride up to meet the missus in Teguise :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Good way to air the swingers.....🤣
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Lets face it,in the UK 'Superbikes' are an anachronism,to many cameras & poor road surfaces.
They're also putting out to much power for the tracks & rumour is that BSB is due an overhaul,even a few years back teams were 'detuning' engines to make them more useable.
I wonder if Yamaha will try & get the R9 homologated for the new supersport regs?
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

weeksy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:10 am

Well 23bhp is 2024, so is 65, 90, 120. Not all bikes are meant to be 200bhp. You have to cater for all people
Well that was the R7 being discussed, that's not a sportsbike in a true context. But then again neither really is the R9, but the R9 will be about 115bhp if using the CP3 engine, which is about what most people really need. But as said, sportsbikes are dead anyway.
They're probably more accurately described as Sporty Bikes.

I remember the first GSXRs with fully adjustable suspension, give people a million things to play with and they'll generally fiddle with them and do it wrong and the bike handles like shit. Sometimes less is more in that respect.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:43 am

LOL you're the only one there :) You'll have to forgive us for putting it into a UK context as that's where 99.9% of us live.
If it was sunny in UK, there'd be more sports bikes ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

:cry:
Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:58 pm
weeksy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:43 am

If it was sunny in UK, there'd be more sports bikes ;)
We have about 10x per mile of the cars and the roads are shite. We've got more police, cameras and a whole different culture. The sunshine wouldn't change anything in sports bike context IMO
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:26 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:34 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:14 am

This.

The days of the hugely powerful 200 bhp sportsbike are going to be coming to an end sooner rather than later, outside of the track, there's fewer and fewer places you can use that sort of power and if we're being honest, the vast majority of people who own them are point and squirt merchants who shit bricks if someone comes along on a well ridden 600.

The sales figures don't lie, the manufacturers know that fewer people want bigger bikes so they happily churn out the 700-800 twins knowing that people will buy them buy the truckload. It'll eventually be that the emissions will kill the mega power bikes or they'll end up like Ferraris or McLarens, premium products with a price tag to match that are out of reach for most folk.
I just redlined mine in first 3 gears in me t-shirt and shorts.

That certainly wakes you up. Was supposed to be a gentle ride up to meet the missus in Teguise :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Good way to air the swingers.....🤣
Just been to swimming pool as well. Dried nicely coming home 😉
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bustaspoke wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:32 pm Lets face it,in the UK 'Superbikes' are an anachronism,to many cameras & poor road surfaces.
They're also putting out to much power for the tracks & rumour is that BSB is due an overhaul,even a few years back teams were 'detuning' engines to make them more useable.
I wonder if Yamaha will try & get the R9 homologated for the new supersport regs?
They aren't putting out to much tyre. I'm 65 and regularly wring its neck. The throttle works both ways.

Let's go back to having a bloke walking in front with a red flag :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:36 pm
They're probably more accurately described as Sporty Bikes.

I remember the first GSXRs with fully adjustable suspension, give people a million things to play with and they'll generally fiddle with them and do it wrong and the bike handles like shit. Sometimes less is more in that respect.
I can honestly say I've not fiddled with the suspension on mine and goes round track ok.
Suspension is a black magic. Like Leccy :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was reading on the BBC website that the police have taken action against 150,000 road users based on video submitted by vigilantes. I'd prefer to see a visible police presence to deter bad driving but that's another discussion. If that's the way policing is going sports bikes are going to be a lot less fun than they used to be in the UK and I imagine the Spanish will soon twig on to it too.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

It is a dangerous road, but if it's for shit driving like cutting up, dangerous overtakes, speeding on roundabouts, I'm all for it. But if its for breaking speed limits or undertaking on motorways then I'm not.

All part of the "great divide"
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Ian wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:08 pm I was reading on the BBC website that the police have taken action against 150,000 road users based on video submitted by vigilantes. I'd prefer to see a visible police presence to deter bad driving but that's another discussion. If that's the way policing is going sports bikes are going to be a lot less fun than they used to be in the UK and I imagine the Spanish will soon twig on to it too.
I hope the police can prove the video hasn't been tampered with.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Ian wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:08 pm I was reading on the BBC website that the police have taken action against 150,000 road users based on video submitted by vigilantes. I'd prefer to see a visible police presence to deter bad driving but that's another discussion. If that's the way policing is going sports bikes are going to be a lot less fun than they used to be in the UK and I imagine the Spanish will soon twig on to it too.
They've cherry-picked a few :o to justify it but I'd like to see a few more of the 150,000. Can't be long before an AI bot simply trawls through camera footage online and automatically issues fines. Who needs police? Outsource the job to Google and Facebook. :(

If this is the future I don't like it much. It's all getting a bit like 'The Circle' which, if you haven't read it you should. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wull

Post by wull »

Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:05 pm I can honestly say I've not fiddled with the suspension on mine and goes round track ok.
Suspension is a black magic. Like Leccy :obscene-birdiedoublered:

You have to ride it faster and harder on track for it to be not “ok”.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:26 am They've cherry-picked a few :o to justify it but I'd like to see a few more of the 150,000. Can't be long before an AI bot simply trawls through camera footage online and automatically issues fines. Who needs police? Outsource the job to Google and Facebook. :(
I just went to see if I could find said BBC article and found this.

Leaving aside anything about the morals or legality of cameras etc, I can't work out why TF that red car went around the crossing island like that :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy4l4eldxdyo
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:01 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:26 am They've cherry-picked a few :o to justify it but I'd like to see a few more of the 150,000. Can't be long before an AI bot simply trawls through camera footage online and automatically issues fines. Who needs police? Outsource the job to Google and Facebook. :(

Leaving aside anything about the morals or legality of cameras etc, I can't work out why TF that red car went around the crossing island like that :lol:

Looks like they were overtaking a car (well blurred-out) on a bend and didn't see the island until it was too late.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Bloke at work has just been nicked under this scheme, snitches submitting their dashcam footage. He's now 3 points and fine worse off.....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:44 pm
Bloke at work has just been nicked under this scheme, snitches submitting their dashcam footage. He's now 3 points and fine worse off.....
I didn't need any help it seems, bloody forgot the camera until too late - 45€ for 87 in an 80 (km/h)! FFS I sodding know it's there too :( :(

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:01 am

This is the one I saw that says 150,000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c89l8v3qd7go
You have to open 'read description' below the video.
Most of them are pretty scary but will be worst examples, I wonder what was at the other end of the scale?

I also wonder how the civilians the police use to process this will weed out the vigilantes? I've had a few cars deliberately block me etc. if you then give it the beans to pass you're probably being filmed.
Ian

Post by Ian »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:44 pm
Did he get to see the footage or is it like some other cases where you only see the footage if you go to court but you pay less if you pay up without any challenge?