Tubes questions

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
formula400

Tubes questions

Post by formula400 »

Right few questions about tubeless,

Attached is a picture of my road bike tyre, not been out for a while, been swamped… but 6 weeks ago I got a massive puncture and got it plugged, been fine since, but also there are 4/5 six little holes that have obvs been tiny puncture’s and self filled,

Question 1

It’s got a few patches where the sealant is doing it thing, but they are Constantly moist. Pressure loss has not really been a an issue, maybe once a week it needs a little top top.
Do they need replacing before they die??

Question 2

My whyte t140 front tyre is losing pressure over 3/4 days
Don’t laugh but how do I tell if it’s set up tubless, tyres are ready for it but I have not idea if I got it set up tubeless when I got it. I don’t fancy pull the tyre off and getting covered in sealant.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_9217.jpeg
IMG_9217.jpeg (591.45 KiB) Viewed 283 times
IMG_9218.jpeg
IMG_9218.jpeg (338.53 KiB) Viewed 283 times
IMG_9219.jpeg
IMG_9219.jpeg (356.2 KiB) Viewed 283 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
JamJar

Re: Tubes questions

Post by JamJar »

Couple of questions:

1. How old is the tyre? Very old might mean its time to replace
2. When did you last replace the sealant? Sealant goes off and needs replacing and depends on the manufacturer
3. What pressures are you running. Tubless works better with lower pressures.
4. What width are the tyres? I find Wider higher volume tyres better at keeping pressure when run tubeless
5. Send a pic of the front valve with the dust cap off and I might be able to tell if tubeless.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

^ what he says

Tyres can be slightly porous - old Schwalbe and Maxxis used to "sweat" but haven't noticed that in recent years.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Firstly, if I'd take the road tyre off, clean the remains of the old sealant out and fill with new sealant. If it's weeping like this, it's usually cos the sealant has started to separate and is no longer doing its thing effectively (just topping up with fresh sealant doesn't really work, you need to clear the old stuff out once it's ceased being effective)...

As for the tyre on your Whyte... Let the air out... Remove the valve collar... If you can push the valve up into the tyre easily once you've removed all the air and the valve collar, it has a tube in it... If it feels stuck in place or doesn't move readily, then 99% certain it's setup tubeless...
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

It has Presta valves, right? Unscrew the locking ring and see if you can push the valve stem in it likely has a tube.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Right here we go

Tyres are Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 700 30c fitted July 2022

Rear sealant was changed when I had the large repair approx 6/8 weeks ago

I run them at 75/80 psi

I’ll get the valve pictures this morning
CBR650r :mrgreen: