What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Supermofo

Re: What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Post by Supermofo »

Not for a while yet, but possibly either
790 Duke
1090 Adventure

I was intending to get a ride on both this year if we get past this virus stuff!

790's at 6.6k is very very very tempting.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm Not for a while yet, but possibly either
790 Duke
1090 Adventure

I was intending to get a ride on both this year if we get past this virus stuff!

790's at 6.6k is very very very tempting.
Go take the exhaust off and i'll send you £150 today :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Go take the exhaust off and i'll send you £150 today :)
:) If Mrs wasn't already Furloughed and our company starting to do the same starting with 170 people this afternoon I might. Hoping I'll be ok, but for the foreseeable I'm not spending anything. Kicking myself for buying a car in Jan as I'm not needing one right now.

Biggest sticking point is the 690 still feeling like my perfect bike though. Unless the 790/1090 totally blow my socks off on a test ride the 690 is staying.
erizo

Post by erizo »

well, i have no intention of getting rid of the lardmobile, but if for some reason it ever went terminal, i´d probably look at grabbing the XV1900 raider…
raider.jpg
raider.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
or if the funds wouldn´t allow, i´d grab a BT1100 bulldog...
Yamaha-BT-1100-Bulldog-1.jpg
Yamaha-BT-1100-Bulldog-1.jpg (250.52 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
one of the last jobs i did at the shop was a restauration on one that had been abused. got a few more ponies out of it and found it was a delightful bike to ride. i´d have one as a second bike in a heartbeat!

as i´m an average rider on a good day, both of those would more than fill my needs.
did i just type that?....aw crap!
Taff

Post by Taff »

my tiger 800xc is approaching 60k miles, so it's time to start thinking about another bike to take on the duties when there's no salt on the roads leaving the tiger to take on the really shitty winter months.
I've got problems with my left hand so an Auto gearbox is really attractive. This lead me to this Africa Twin DCT that I took out a couple of weeks ago and was completely smitten.

Timing isn't quite right just yet but if we land up locked down for long enough I might be able to afford one when we're allowed out again.

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Owners I've spoke to love them AT...Who else makes big bike auto boxes.?
Yamaha rocket 3
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

erizo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 pmI´d probably look at grabbing the XV1900 raider…
I think the Yamaha XV1900 looks terrific in the metal, and I'm not normally a fan of cruisers!

Are they expensive? Better handling than a Harley, I imagine :?:
Taff

Post by Taff »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:51 am Owners I've spoke to love them AT...Who else makes big bike auto boxes.?
It's pretty much limited to Honda's DCT bikes really, so it's AT, Crosstourer, VFR1200, NC750 and its derivatives.

Aprilia did the Mana 850(?) but as far as I'm aware stopped production quite a while back.

the alternative is fitting a Rekluse clutch, they've been rated for many years by enduro bike riders (I remember debating about fitting one to my KTM back in 2005ish). I believe that there is a kit available for the tiger 800 now but it's a bit pricey for me to consider fitting it to mine.
erizo

Post by erizo »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am
erizo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 pmI´d probably look at grabbing the XV1900 raider…
I think the Yamaha XV1900 looks terrific in the metal, and I'm not normally a fan of cruisers!

Are they expensive? Better handling than a Harley, I imagine :?:
They put a lot of thought into having the appearance they wanted and actually getting it to work.

They went with a 210 rear tyre instead of the fashionable 240 (which sucks for handling) and the front
Is a 120 - 21 instead of the traditional skinny 21 front.

There’s also an offset on the yokes which brings the trail back to a normal figure.

So yeah, for a bike with that wheelbase and weight, they handle pretty good.

Price? Not sure, but nowhere near Harley money.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I agree that a 210 rear tyre is much better than a 240. As well as the 210 handling better, how many choices of tyre are there for a 240?
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

No cash and an uncertain future now with this corona shit. Same boat as millions of others..
But if it wasn't for that I'd have an 1199 Panigale on the list. Prefer a 1299 but 1199s can be had at good money now and I'd like to see for myself how brutal it really is.

Also fancy a big cruiser just for fucking about on the occasional sunny Sunday. And I like the idea of going touring on a comfy cruiser once in a while so I can actually see and remember the place I've been rather than just attack the tarmac which is what usually happens.
It would be a Triumph Thunderbird Storm.

More pipe dream territory, a 690 SMR would be nice and a 300 stroker green laner.
Also have a bit of a hankering for a Guzzi of some sort. A late model Griso would be nice.
Oh and a 1930's Ariel Red Hunter. Red and chrome, rigid frame, sprung saddle and high level pipes. Oh yes..
erizo

Post by erizo »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:00 pm I agree that a 210 rear tyre is much better than a 240. As well as the 210 handling better, how many choices of tyre are there for a 240?
there´s quite a few manufacturers make 240´s. dunlop, metzeler, etc.

when clients came in for a 240, i´d normally recommend a 250 or 260 on the standard rim. there would be no extra width when mounted on the 240 rim, but it gave the tread a rounder profile and didn´t feel so much like the rear tyre was dominant over the steering.

it was mostly on v-rods, and they don´t handle too bad as standard, but with a rounder profile on the rear it´s a noticeable improvement.

i´m not a fan of fat back tyres, hence the larmobile still has the standard 150 on the rear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Dutchman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:17 pm
rusty wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:56 pm XSR900.

Got a demo ride booked for tomorrow 8-)
What did you think of it? Loved the MT09 I had a shot on.
Loved it.
So much so that I bought one the following day :lol:
rusty

Post by rusty »

Taff wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:35 am my tiger 800xc is approaching 60k miles, so it's time to start thinking about another bike to take on the duties when there's no salt on the roads leaving the tiger to take on the really shitty winter months.
I've got problems with my left hand so an Auto gearbox is really attractive. This lead me to this Africa Twin DCT that I took out a couple of weeks ago and was completely smitten.

Timing isn't quite right just yet but if we land up locked down for long enough I might be able to afford one when we're allowed out again.

I just got rid of my Africa Twin.
It wasn't a bad bike by any means but the build quality was dire, the frame was corroding pretty heavily in a few places and it was only two years old. I always thought Honda were still well built but clearly not.
It'll be the last Honda I buy.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I've heard that a lot about Africa Twins. It's an anomaly for Honda and a shame because it's otherwise a good looking bike and as a genuine dual-purpose machine it needs to handle a hard life without dissolving. I wonder if it's an outsourced model..?

People who haven't owned one often question the finish quality of KTMs but both of mine have proved extremely robust. Both scrub up like new. The 1190 is on 31,000 miles and has no corrosion at all. The brake discs obviously go a bit orange if it left stood but the disc carriers have no rust and the calipres are perfect. No rusty fasteners, just the brake line ends that have gone a bit dull.

I do look after it and use ACF50 all the time but even so I'm impressed by the build quality.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Rode my 63,000 mile, 30 year old FZ750 to work today, it's still fun and does what I want a bike to do, do I really want to spend £12K+ on a Honda that's just a CB1000R in a fancy suit?
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

I remember when I was young and skint I seemed to want to own every new bike that came out, probably because I couldn't, if you see what I mean.
Now I'm getting on a bit I have the wherewithal to buy pretty much anything I wanted, and as a consequence for the last few years I haven't seen a single bike that I fancied.

But now I can't get out I'm starting to get frustrated and keep seeing loads of things I want.
The last time I was like this was when I was stuck in Afghanistan, and I was phoning dealers and buying bikes over the phone unseen, and having them delivered to my house. I think the only thing stopping me now is that there is no one there to receive them and I have no idea when I'll be able to get back to ride them.

I'm spending an hour a day on ebay and several times I've had to stop myself from messaging people with all sorts of shite on sale, stuff that I wouldn't normally even consider :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I must look at the V85TT at least 2-3 times a week, I like the yellow one but the new 'Travel' version in a sand colour also looks good.
It's a good job there are no Guzzi shops here because I'd already have one.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 pm I must look at the V85TT at least 2-3 times a week, I like the yellow one but the new 'Travel' version in a sand colour also looks good.
It's a good job there are no Guzzi shops here because I'd already have one.
I don't get that one at all. The littler cafe race, i'm all over it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-V ... SwZI1eqDUI

Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 pm
I don't get that one at all. The littler cafe race, i'm all over it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-V ... SwZI1eqDUI

There were some of them here all in a row before the dealer stopped doing Moto Guzzi and they felt really cheap and nasty IMO. The finish wasn't great and the chrome/red just came across as a bit cheesy.
The bars and the clocks reminded me of a TZR125, it's like they just threw clip-on style bars on the front and tried to make it something it's not, the whole thing just comes across as plastic, with some chrome over the top. I don't like that 1970's flat bench look and the riding position feels the same.

I liked the look in the magazines but the reality was disappointing. I think the other versions are better, with decent handlebars and a more matt finish.
The chrome racer looks like a tarted up budget bike and close up it's a let down.

The Grizos they had were lovely though, nice finish and real presence about them, the two bikes looked they were made by two different manufacturers.