Another big BSB team closes

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Bustaspoke

Another big BSB team closes

Post by Bustaspoke »

Lee Johnston's just announced that Ashcourt racing are closing at the enf of the season,that's a big blow for BSB Supersport & the roads :shock:

mangocrazy

Re: Another big BSB team closes

Post by mangocrazy »

I wonder if MSV will get the message that racing (at all levels) is just too expensive, and that instead of bleeding the sport dry they should actually be putting something back in to ensure that two-wheeled racing has a future in this country?

Nope - probably not.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:13 pm I wonder if MSV will get the message that racing (at all levels) is just too expensive, and that instead of bleeding the sport dry they should actually be putting something back in to ensure that two-wheeled racing has a future in this country?

Nope - probably not.
We're going through the same in MTB DH, they're quadrupling the entry for the big teams next year and wondering why teams are dropping out
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MSV have been bleeding the sport for Donkeys years.

Only Silverstone and Thruxton are free from the money suckers.

There's been no prize money in BSB for years. John Reynolds told me he never got prize money and he raced since 90s.

Les Battersby has milked it for years.

Once at Brands in about 2003 it was a shit meeting and folk complained.

He just walked out and got in his private helicopter.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Racing is expensive, MSV are in business to make a profit, the teams could spend less on the bikes, but if one team can afford all the bells and whistles, any team that wants to be competitive had to be able to afford them.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:06 am Racing is expensive, MSV are in business to take the piss, the teams could spend less on the bikes, but if one team can afford all the bells and whistles, any team that wants to be competitive had to be able to afford them.
FTFY
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:34 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:06 am Racing is expensive, MSV are in business to take the piss, the teams could spend less on the bikes, but if one team can afford all the bells and whistles, any team that wants to be competitive had to be able to afford them.
FTFY
How much profit in companies constitutes taking the piss ? 2% ? 10% ? 50% ?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:36 am
FTFY
2% and they're about to go under, 10% and they are just about keeping their heads above water, 50% is a nice little earner.

But I don't know and I don't have access to MSV's accounts, but when they engage in monopolistic practices and charge astronomical sums for components that teams are mandated to have, I'd say that constitutes taking the piss, wouldn't you?

viewtopic.php?p=326419#p326419

@Tricky highlights this in this earlier thread on the same topic - £4k + VAT for a race ECU, £2.5k for the corresponding wiring loom. As well as the 'special' fuel they have to run, the control tyres that can only be purchased from a designated supplier. Sky-high entry fees... I could go on but I'm sure you're catching my drift...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:28 am

FTFY
2% and they're about to go under, 10% and they are just about keeping their heads above water, 50% is a nice little earner.

But I don't know and I don't have access to MSV's accounts, but when they engage in monopolistic practices and charge astronomical sums for components that teams are mandated to have, I'd say that constitutes taking the piss, wouldn't you?

@Tricky highlights this in this earlier thread on the same topic - £4k + VAT for a race ECU, £2.5k for the corresponding wiring loom. As well as the 'special' fuel they have to run, the control tyres that can only be purchased from a designated supplier. Sky-high entry fees... I could go on but I'm sure you're catching my drift...
But you can't say that as they could actually be running at 2% or 5%. So whether the fees are high or not isn't the debate, it's whether the company running it are making money.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:33 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:28 am

But you can't say that as they could actually be running at 2% or 5%. So whether the fees are high or not isn't the debate, it's whether the company running it are making money.
Neither of us know, so it's all moot. But MSV have three large profit centres - the general paying public who pay high circuit admission fees, the TV companies that they licence their feeds to and the riders/teams who have to pay through the nose to compete. I don't expect JP to have to trade his helicopter in for a Skoda any time soon...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've just downloaded the MSV Group's accounts as of 31st December 2023 and these paragraphs immediately caught my eye:

MSV_2023.JPG
MSV_2023.JPG (80.78 KiB) Viewed 503 times

A dividend of £19 million? I'd be happy with that, any day of the week...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yeah sounds like they're doing pretty well then.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cut MSV out and just have all the races at Darley Moor, Three Sisters and Llandow.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Oxford products are reported to also be leaving the paddock at the end of the season,not sure if Moto Rapido will continue.
On a more positive note Ryan Vickers is going to WSBK riding a Ducati & the rumour is that Brad Ray's returning to OMG plus Joe Talbot's is also getting his chance with OMG
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Do MSV run the race series, I thought they just run the circuits, do they supply the expensive components mentioned above?