Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Sunny

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Sunny »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:39 pm
Sunny wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:06 pm Got ANOTHER screw in a tyre, this time in one of the barely 1000-miles-old ones on the T-Roc :angry-cussingblack:

Can't be repaired, too close to the edge. Yet another new tyre it is then. 😭
The last time I took a car wheel to have a puncture repair, the guy gleefully told me the repair would be too close to the sidewall and a new tyre was in order. He didn't even try to disguise his mirth. And by my reckoning it was on the flat part of the tread and repairable.

I've never used that tyre place since.
I knew it was right on the cusp of the repair/scrap line, so instead of going to my usual tyre place, I took it to my dad's mate's garage - he doesn't really do tyres, but will repair them. But no, he said it wasn't going to happen ☹️

Off to my usual tyre place I went, and while I was there I picked up the mower tyre that they'd had in to plug 🤦 (which they didn't charge me for, bless 'em)
Newey

Post by Newey »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:43 pm Parked our 6 month old car at work last night, come out to this morning and its got a gouge/scratch in the drivers door. Turns out one of the other depts was in the depot last night and one of the staff had his dog with him running around all over the place. Guess who'll be trawling the CCTV tonight and seeing where this claim goes.
So, how the hunting go? anyone on the revenge list?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Newey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:53 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:43 pm Parked our 6 month old car at work last night, come out to this morning and its got a gouge/scratch in the drivers door. Turns out one of the other depts was in the depot last night and one of the staff had his dog with him running around all over the place. Guess who'll be trawling the CCTV tonight and seeing where this claim goes.
So, how the hunting go? anyone on the revenge list?
We have to get the CCTV company to retrieve video so I've submitted a formal request to my line managers.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:19 pm I know the answers, just can't bloody remember them when I need them :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
I write things down to remember them . . .
That's my usual trick. I've so far used most of an A4 pad of paper writing and rewriting things! Think part of the problem is the language, as well as my tired, stressed little Pooh brain!! :( :(
Can you get a pack of index cards (A6 size)?

Write the Q on one side, answer on the back.

Get it right, leave the card aside. Keep going until no cards left in your hand
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:56 am
Noggin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:19 pm I know the answers, just can't bloody remember them when I need them :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
I write things down to remember them . . .
That's my usual trick. I've so far used most of an A4 pad of paper writing and rewriting things! Think part of the problem is the language, as well as my tired, stressed little Pooh brain!! :( :(
Can you get a pack of index cards (A6 size)?

Write the Q on one side, answer on the back.

Get it right, leave the card aside. Keep going until no cards left in your hand
Possibly. I Might have left it a bit late as not home till tomorrow and I think I hav some there.

Just frustrating that I know my. Rain doesn’t work as well as it did (bang on the head and PTSD along with other stuff!!). But it seems some of the others are also having issues so it isn’t just language! There really is a lot to learn!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:54 pm But it seems some of the others are also having issues so it isn’t just language! There really is a lot to learn!!
From some of the stuff you've posted, I have wondered about the quality of instruction and whether it aligns with the test standard.

Ideally, trainees shouldn't be put in for test unless ready.

But that doesn't always happen. UK driving instructor exams are a terrible example.

According to the data published by the DVSA, between March 2022 to 2023: Only 35.3% passed Part 3 of the test! Part 2 had a 60% pass rate.

Pt 2 is a driving test, Pt 3 is teaching.
David

Post by David »

There were only 2 parts when I did it..P1 theory and P2 practical. I failed the first one for sticking to speed limits......
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:08 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:54 pm But it seems some of the others are also having issues so it isn’t just language! There really is a lot to learn!!
From some of the stuff you've posted, I have wondered about the quality of instruction and whether it aligns with the test standard.

Ideally, trainees shouldn't be put in for test unless ready.

But that doesn't always happen. UK driving instructor exams are a terrible example.

According to the data published by the DVSA, between March 2022 to 2023: Only 35.3% passed Part 3 of the test! Part 2 had a 60% pass rate.

Pt 2 is a driving test, Pt 3 is teaching.
I am seriously not convinced at the standard of teaching - or at least, some of it. Definitely unconvinced by the way the course is planned!! Six weeks in and I've done <15 hours actual driving. And I most definitely wouldn't put me in for a test as I suspect I'll fail.

However, if I do miraculously pass, I still have another 4 weeks and in that I'm hoping we'll get a bit more driving. If not, I'm going to ask JB to let me loose with one of the other more experienced drivers to do a few hours before winter starts!!! You know, add snow!! LOL

But, there's a LOT of learning outside the driving - which of course is more important :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm lucky that I've done a lot of driving of different vehicles in the last 30+ years, so at least I won't go at it all like a bull in a china shop (if I pass).

Equally, if I don't pass I'll be pretty gutted!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Booking an hotel that I didn't realise was so 'cheap' (the same price as the IBIS Budget I've been using and that is really nice!) only to find out, there isn't a socket near enough to the bed to charge the laptop/tablet whilst using them!!

Seriously??

The nice place is bad enough in that the socket is on the wrong side of the bed for me but that's dealable with.

But no socket nearest to where you're gonna use various tech is pretty shit!! (And I so nearly put an extension lead in the bag but seemed a bit daft for two nights!! :roll: )
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:18 pm There were only 2 parts when I did it..P1 theory and P2 practical. I failed the first one for sticking to speed limits......
Blimey. When was that? :shock:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

David wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:18 pm There were only 2 parts when I did it..P1 theory and P2 practical. I failed the first one for sticking to speed limits......
I am slightly nervous that I don't get to the speed limits but it's a 18t bus ffs!! I don't want to hurl it down the road cos that will involve heavier braking (ok, using the retarder as well) and that, to me, is not good driving for passengers. We're not learning to drive goods, it's passengers we'll be driving so . . . . . . :lol: :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Noggin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:08 pm
I am slightly nervous that I don't get to the speed limits but it's a 18t bus ffs!! I don't want to hurl it down the road cos that will involve heavier braking (ok, using the retarder as well) and that, to me, is not good driving for passengers. We're not learning to drive goods, it's passengers we'll be driving so . . . . . . :lol: :lol:
Are you familiar with Bob Newhart:

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:29 pm

Oh yes!! LOL First introduced to that sketch last time I learnt to drive a bus (30+ years ago!! LOL)

I shared it with a couple of french that speak enough english too (although apparently the video played for one of them with subtitles!) - so we've had a few laughs on that!! LOL
Horse

Post by Horse »

Only from when I posted it ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:36 pm

Only from when I posted it ;)
That too, but I promise my SDad played it to me when I learnt the buses in Guernsey (think it was just a recording back then, not the video!! LOL). You did remind me :D :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

I believe you - just noting it had been posted here recently :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Email from the credit card company:

If you’re the victim of fraud, we’re pleased to let you know we’re now making it easier to get your money back. From 7 October 2024, we’ll refund money lost through APP (Authorised Push Payment) fraud within 5 working days, due to new banking rules.

ie Not because we want to help you, but because we have to.
David

Post by David »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:53 pm
Blimey. When was that? :shock:
'76 or '77...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

David wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:18 pm I failed the first one for sticking to speed limits......
My Mum still argues that you can be done (in the UK) for "not keeping up with the traffic" regardless of any speeding laws :D
David

Post by David »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:45 am
David wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:18 pm I failed the first one for sticking to speed limits......
My Mum still argues that you can be done (in the UK) for "not keeping up with the traffic" regardless of any speeding laws :D
It is called " failing to make progress". There have been prosecutions reported in the dim and distant past.