Fox Neo Feels Like the Next Step in Electronic Suspension

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Fox Neo Feels Like the Next Step in Electronic Suspension

Post by weeksy »

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-rid ... nsion.html

This year it felt like electronic suspension hit the big time with an increased presence in World Cup racing, in every discipline from XC to DH. The bikes in the middle of that spectrum are the ones most of us ride on a regular basis, so that's where Fox dedicated their energy with their newest iteration of their Live Valve system. Live Valve Neo is an active electronic suspension system designed to keep the shock firm as often as possible, while allowing for compliance and grip exactly where you need it. In order to achieve this goal, Fox is relying on a fairly simple sensor array and their very fast wireless protocol, which can send information from sensor to shock in as little as 1/70th of a second

Rather than implementing multiple modes in the system, Neo simply switches between Open and Firm, via two separate reservoir circuits. The shock does this via a charged magnetic solenoid valve that defaults to the closed position, opening when the charge is lost. Thanks to this solenoid, the Neo shock is completely silent, as opposed to the louder motor-actuation sound you get out of systems like Flight Attendant.

Critically, the system has nothing to do with the fork or drivetrain on a given bike, meaning you can install the shock and sensors on any compatible frame and keep the rest of the build as is. This also means the fork is never changing state, remaining open and normally damped regardless of trail scenario.

Shock installation is as simple as any other, with all of the electronics housed in the area adjacent to the piggyback you'd find on a non-electronic version of either shock. The sensors bolt to the front and rear brake, using the same bolt that attaches the caliper. There's a quick setup procedure that you carry out with the Fox Bike app, and you're off to the races
Mr Moofo

Re: Fox Neo Feels Like the Next Step in Electronic Suspension

Post by Mr Moofo »

Anti lock braking, traction control and electronically changeable geometry next
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:00 am Anti lock braking, traction control and electronically changeable geometry next
I guess like everything, it's coming one day.... I don't think for a second that something like this can make an average bloke into a race winner... but i do question if it can make a nearly race winner into a winner.
Whether that's the case... i don't know.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I’m going to be an early adopter of banning rider aids …
Let’s keep it to the unbelievable skills some people seem to have
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:03 am I’m going to be an early adopter of banning rider aids …
Let’s keep it to the unbelievable skills some people seem to have
I'm with you, but i do wonder if it'll become an arms race. The Rockshox Flight Attendant riders are winning the DH races now, how long until one of the fast National racers get it on their bike, then as we know, all racers will have it fitted. Espeically if the early adopter racers end up winning/improving.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

weeksy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:02 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:00 am Anti lock braking, traction control and electronically changeable geometry next
I guess like everything, it's coming one day.... I don't think for a second that something like this can make an average bloke into a race winner... but i do question if it can make a nearly race winner into a winner.
Whether that's the case... i don't know.
Adrian Newey’s track day only hyper car was driven a good amateur driver (Newey’s words) on the RB simulator and put it on the F1 pole by 1 second. Technological arms race and further rising costs.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."