CB"R" 250

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Gregor

Re: CB"R" 250

Post by Gregor »

Had the same problem with the front brake on the en 125, pads were well contaminated probably with fork oil.
Gave them a good sanding with a p80 paper.
Druid

Post by Druid »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:18 pm
I like stripping a bike to components as soon as i can (both motorbike and MTB) just so i can check everything but also to get knowledge of how it all goes back together, things like linkages, wheels, suspension etc...
Me too. I don't feel like it's mine until I've got my hands properly dirty
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

I collected the missing panel from the dealer this morning, as it's less inconvenient to me to fit it myself than leave the bike at the dealer and take taxis to and from work while they have it even if they get it done same day.

The RHS handlebar was bent at least an inch close to the tank than the LHS. Not really sure how that got missed by the insurance assessor but it did. The local dealer wanted 82€ and a couple of weeks, Thailand wanted much less and only 3 days via DHL: https://bikerzbits.com/pipe-comp-r-stee ... j-900.html
After shipping and customs I ended up at 97€ with the handlebar plus 4x front mudguard screws, one handlebar weight, and a black H2C tank pad.

I'll get that lot installed soon-ish, with the handlebar being the only "must fix".

The LED indicators I mentioned up there somewhere won't work due to how they're mounted, so I've ordered some replica Grom indicators, they mount the same but should be a bit more aero than the original which stick out miles.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335100172826

Still enjoying the bike. It's running lovely, the back brake seems to have cleared itself up to where it works pretty decent now, and I reckon I'm now about bob-on with the lever/peg/cable adjustments :)
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Not enough pictures in that last post.
Allow me to make amends...

• New bar, showing the bend, old bar (trapped thumb almost)
  • Rusty nut, 13 on a Honda :banana-wrench: , new nut.
  • Rusty mudguard screws, comparison with new, shiny.
  • Panel, not fitted yet (that'll go on with the indicators).
  • Tank pad came off super easy.
  • Bar end from the non crashed side, just with years of scrapes and maybe a drop at some point.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

The last panel has now been fitted, and with that she's back to full HP.

The indicators arrived, but they had 10w bulbs fitted rather than 21w as advertised so would've flashed too fast. Not usually a huge deal but access to the flasher relay involves dismantling half the bike. That got me a 30% refund. They are also just as Chinesium as you'd expect, so I'm not really sure I'll fit them at all.

She's still running just perfect :)
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

The wezmoto black/black brake lines are waiting for me in UK, I'll pick them up this weekend and fit them at my leisure.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Few little bits on the CB"R".

First up, a new OEM air filter. I took out the old one just to inspect and it was pretty dirty. Plus they seal into the air box with a foam strip, the old one had perished and the foam was mostly left in the air box. Cheap and very easy to fit.

Next up, it took a surprising amount of attempts to set the gear lever to a height where I could easily find it, before I realised the previous owner had bent it.

Finally the biggest news for this post: a new exhaust.

It's a used item from a breaker in Poland of all places. 150€ not the cheapest but it looked decent and gpr is a reasonable brand. It is, predictably when you realise the volume of the can, a bit louder than I'd like.

Here's a video with a few seconds running with a catalyst from a KTM dirt bike shoved between the link pipe and the silencer, then just as it comes with the dB killer in the outlet.

You can definitely hear a difference, albeit you may need headphones and or to visit my garage to hear it clearly.

The catalyst is maybe an inch too long so I'll look at cutting it down to size. But for now, I'm rocking it like it is. Brraaaapppp :banana-dance:
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

;pics;
Couple more pictures here:

Also I got tempted by some AliExpress type junk.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/355865226593
My mate's just pointed out it'll probably be 1:18 scale if it arrives :mrgreen:
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

I fitted a new screen today:
It replaces the original part which is in decent condition, if a little sun damaged.

This one is available from dozens of sellers on eBay/Ali/Amazon for around $20 and is actually pretty decent quality. Fitting it to the bike is a ballache though. You've to remove the side panels (3 screws each and indicator wires), infill panels (1 screw and 3 panel clips each), clocks (4 screws), top fairing (4 screws on the mirrors and 2 electrical plugs), then take the headlight off the top fairing (6 screws and 2 Christmas tree clips to release) before you can change the screen (4 screws), then assembly is the reverse procedure, but without the aid of gravity.

I also fitted up a Quill silencer with an AliExpress link pipe, and added a KTM dirt bike catalyst between the two.
I still need a 55mm clamp to hold the silencer to the link pipe, but the fitment looks good to me.

Well, except for the fact I don't have the correct strap for the Quill. Quill make their oval cans 104mm*137mm, or they did back then, which means you need a longer strap. I don't have one. I'll figure it out... but for now that spacer will do, I just need to find a longer bolt.

Sounds good; less raucous than the GPR.

I also wired up the top box brake light. It's a useful safety item since, from an SUV's vantage point, the top box pretty well hides the original brake light.
I've a question on that, I'll put another thread up in the Mechanics section shortly.

Couple more pics in here:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A_morti wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:44 pm I fitted a new screen today:
It replaces the original part which is in decent condition, if a little sun damaged.

This one is available from dozens of sellers on eBay/Ali/Amazon for around $20 and is actually pretty decent quality. Fitting it to the bike is a ballache though. You've to remove the side panels (3 screws each and indicator wires), infill panels (1 screw and 3 panel clips each), clocks (4 screws), top fairing (4 screws on the mirrors and 2 electrical plugs), then take the headlight off the top fairing (6 screws and 2 Christmas tree clips to release) before you can change the screen (4 screws), then assembly is the reverse procedure, but without the aid of gravity.

I also fitted up a Quill silencer with an AliExpress link pipe, and added a KTM dirt bike catalyst between the two.
I still need a 55mm clamp to hold the silencer to the link pipe, but the fitment looks good to me.

Well, except for the fact I don't have the correct strap for the Quill. Quill make their oval cans 104mm*137mm, or they did back then, which means you need a longer strap. I don't have one. I'll figure it out... but for now that spacer will do, I just need to find a longer bolt.

Sounds good; less raucous than the GPR.

I also wired up the top box brake light. It's a useful safety item since, from an SUV's vantage point, the top box pretty well hides the original brake light.
I've a question on that, I'll put another thread up in the Mechanics section shortly.

Couple more pics in here:
It looks like the bracket ends should just meet together and there is no need for a spacer as from the picture it looks like the strap is too loose on teh can?
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

The can measures about 104*137.

A normal oval can, as far as I can tell, is 100*125. I only have a normal strap, not the bigger one I need.

Trust me, there's no chance of it closing up without that spacer.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

@Taipan that's a big ole quote mate.