Had a 'wtf am i supposed to do' moment

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Sadlonelygit

Had a 'wtf am i supposed to do' moment

Post by Sadlonelygit »

And fancy some feedback! It's car based btw.
So, coming along a single carriageway road where I come to a traffic light controlled contraflow. I stop at the lights, so I'm at the front of the queue.
Lights go amber so off we go. I get through the contraflow and rejoin my carriageway. I hear a siren and around the corner comes an ambulance on my side of the toad trying to force his way through.
Now bear in mind I have a queue of traffic behind me blocking the road.
Ambo just sits there remonstrating at me, I tell him he won't get through as there are (well signed) roadworks now full of cars.
I get called some interesting names but he eventually backs up a few feet that allows me through and allows me to continue and clear the blockage.
WWYD?
ChrisW

Re: Had a 'wtf am channeling supposed to do' moment

Post by ChrisW »

From what you've described - exactly what you did.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Had a 'wtf am i supposed to do' moment

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What ChrisW said
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

As above, but given them the finger too.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Some of these pricks need a slap. OK its an emergency but FFS if the traffic cant move dont take your frustration out on the first obstacle when you most probably made it yourself.

Do ambulance drivers ger any form of driver training for emergency situations???
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If the road ain't wide enough to let him through, what's he /she expect you to do. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I get that they're out on a emergency but sometimes they're there own worst enemies..
A few years back when I was trucking one of our drivers had a 'incident' with a ambulance.Two lanes of traffic slowly going down a one way street in Lancaster,ambulance tries to squeeze between the two lanes of traffic,when he get's to our driver there isn't quite enough room & he breaks the mirror on the lorry.They have a discussion & the co pilot in the ambulance says 'Don't report him,he's had 2 bumps & he'll probably lose his job'.The fact that he had the time to stop & swap details tells you how urgent his task was.
Another much more serious occasion in the south Lakes the daughter of someone we knew was seriously injured when waiting to turn right a ambulance hit her car head on,carnage.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If you can't go back, the only way is forward... so right call by the sound of it.

I've never had a problem with an ambulance or fire appliance, but I've had a few incidents with police vehicles over the years.

I was sat watching a police driver attempt to intimidate a driver in the outside of three lanes to pull through a red light - which is of course, exactly what you're NOT supposed to do with an emergency vehicle behind you. The driver had the blues and twos going full blast and added the horn to the mix.

When the lights did change, the driver pulled away then promptly stopped... trapping the police car again! It wasn't the brightest move but if the police driver hadn't acted like a complete twat, she might have just accelerated away then pulled left into the space ahead of me that I'd left her.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:41 pm I was sat watching a police driver attempt to intimidate a driver in the outside of three lanes to pull through a red light - which is of course, exactly what you're NOT supposed to do with an emergency vehicle behind you. The driver had the blues and twos going full blast and added the horn to the mix.
Emergency driver training changed a few years so that, if their way forward is temporarily obstructed at lights, they should turn the noise off, then back on again when the lights go green.

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Horse wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:07 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:41 pm I was sat watching a police driver attempt to intimidate a driver in the outside of three lanes to pull through a red light - which is of course, exactly what you're NOT supposed to do with an emergency vehicle behind you. The driver had the blues and twos going full blast and added the horn to the mix.
Emergency driver training changed a few years so that, if their way forward is temporarily obstructed at lights, they should turn the noise off, then back on again when the lights go green.

Exactly... and I note that ambulances do that... this incident with the police driver was back in the spring.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

My only question would be how long was the queue, because if v short - say 3-4 cars - maybe you could all have backed up. But from the way you described it it didn't sound as if that was the case.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:40 pm My only question would be how long was the queue, because if v short - say 3-4 cars - maybe you could all have backed up. But from the way you described it it didn't sound as if that was the case.
The contraflow was about 2-300m, which was full of cars,especially when the ambo blocked the road!