Bearings: Are they like oil and you just buy the right spec?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Mr Moofo

Bearings: Are they like oil and you just buy the right spec?

Post by Mr Moofo »

My Cotic was squeaking - tried to blame everything else - but the seat tube bearing and seat stay ones were horrid!

Just looking at buying in replacements - They are Enduro MAX grade bearings that have gone in now - but Cotic would like to relieve me of 65 GBP for the full set. Looking at other suppliers the full set is 25 GBP - 35 GBP ( depending on whether the seat stay bushings are included.

All seem to be the same spec - are there big differences or who is the bearing supplier of choice?
mboy

Re: Bearings: Are they like oil and you just buy the right spec?

Post by mboy »

I assume you mean pivot bearings...?

These guys are the best in the business IMO... https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/bike_bearings.html

I used to use them all the time when I had my shop, not just cos they were just down the road, but because they really know their stuff.

For pivot bearings, Enduro MAX are generally what you want... Rather than the bearings being spaced apart by a cage inside the races, there is what is known as a "full compliment" of bearings (or a "MAXimum" amount of bearings) that give a higher load rating in a high load but minimal rotation application (such as an MTB pivot bearing)... MAX bearings are no use for hubs though for instance, because the drag is much higher and they will wear out much more quickly than a normal caged bearing in a higher rpm situation...

If you really want the down low, give Shaun a call @ Wych and ask him to explain all the differences and different applications... Be warned though, he really knows his stuff!