utterly random picture thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: utterly random picture thread.

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:19 am Guess you might also be familiar with the former Tricorn centre in Portsmouth?

There was discussion for ages about tearing down this properly 1960s brutalist concrete shopping bunker.

In the end they got rid of the ugly building and replaced it with a beautiful car park :thumbup:

I never actually saw the Tricorn Centre in all its glory but shades of Trinity Square, Gateshead in reverse. They knocked down the brutalist development in 2010 (inc. the 'Get Carter' car park*) and replaced it with something nominated for the Carbuncle Cup. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Square,_Gateshead

* Which I used to use. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Came up on my FB feed as a memory today, 11 years ago, which coincidentally was a Sunday.
Bonus points if you can identify the plane and location
Attachments
FB_IMG_1726381847429.jpg
FB_IMG_1726381847429.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 389 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:58 am
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:29 pm That will take a fair few Readymix lorries to fill. Presumably there is a standard template for structures of this sort and all the shuttering gets re-used multiple times?
Goes beyond even that, there are standard beams, columns etc. that are pre made off site.

There's a house in Spain made from them. I think it's great but it may not be to all tastes. :D

Yes that is a swimming pool in that huge gutter.

Fair bit of cantilevering going on there. I'm sure all the design calcs have been done and the concrete sections are heavily Rebarred, but it doesn't quite look right to me from an engineering standpoint.

And with my aesthetics hat on it's just plain f'n ugly... The Park Hill flats in Sheffield (which I can see from where I'm typing this and were inspired by Corbusier's work) are downright pretty compared to that.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:29 am
And with my aesthetics hat on it's just plain f'n ugly... The Park Hill flats in Sheffield (which I can see from where I'm typing this and were inspired by Corbusier's work) are downright pretty compared to that.
Park Hill was pretty iconic, partly down to the dominant position. People were pretty excited to move in back in the day. A few design flaws though. They're going to be pretty 'yuppie' once the refurb has finished.

Reminds me of the Byker Wall - again really dominant. They got slammed but people loved living in them, they even claimed there was a community atmosphere! Dunno what it's like now, haven't been back to Newcastle since the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byker_Wall
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:29 am Fair bit of cantilevering going on there. I'm sure all the design calcs have been done and the concrete sections are heavily Rebarred, but it doesn't quite look right to me from an engineering standpoint.
The concrete sections are "off the shelf" built for the express purpose of being beams and cantilevers in motorway bridges. That house is pretty much a holiday for them :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

All this reminds me of my previous house. It was a sort of 'architects dream' (I didn't have it built). It was lovely to live in and was designed to be low maintenance. After 17 years of constant maintenance, mainly to the roof, we sold it with planning permission to demolish it and replace it with 2 'proper' houses*. :lol:

It was single storey, steel frame, no structural/load bearing walls at all, large footprint.....flat roof with drains in the middle :eh: ie no gutters and lots of trees around. Guess what happened next.....
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:15 am
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:29 am Fair bit of cantilevering going on there. I'm sure all the design calcs have been done and the concrete sections are heavily Rebarred, but it doesn't quite look right to me from an engineering standpoint.
The concrete sections are "off the shelf" built for the express purpose of being beams and cantilevers in motorway bridges. That house is pretty much a holiday for them :D
I'm sure you're right, but it just doesn't look quite right to my untrained eye.

I'm not a fan of cantilevering, having had to correct cantilever-supported beams with f**k off steel plates in the French moneypit. The roof was sagging rather alarmingly. But I am talking about wooden joists, not humunguous reinforced concrete I and U beams.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:48 am flat roof with drains in the middle :eh: ie no gutters and lots of trees around.
What could possibly go wrong?

More to the point, what did actually go wrong...?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:48 am flat roof with drains in the middle :eh: ie no gutters and lots of trees around.

Same as the (concealed) drains on my neighbours green roofs.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I don't 'get' flat roofs. Never have, never will.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:41 pm

Well, the 'flat' roof actually sloped inwards to the two drains (which ran into pipes enclosed in brick inside the house then out under the house to a soakaway somewhere I assume, or possibly into the drains - I think that was allowed at the time). The wire mesh over the top would clog with leaves so I'd be up there in the rain clearing the impromptu pond on the roof. The roof itself was simply boarded and 3 layers of tarred felt on it. The water itself wasn't the big issue, it was more the sun on such a large expanse. The previous owner had painted it with some silvery, reflective sort of rubberised stuff.

Eventually water would get through and, underneath between the roof and the suspended, acoustic tile ceiling was several inches of loft insulation. You know what happens to acoustic tiles when they get rather wet and a little weight is applied? :lol:

I had the roof re-felted and decided to just replace the necessary acoustic tiles, which were Imperial size. Of course, the only ones available were metric which meant the support grid had to be rejigged and I redid the ceilings throughout the house.

Some time later....it leaked again. So, employed an architect, designed 2 × 5 bed houses for the plot. Spent several years playing Catch 22 with the planning system, neighbours - next door on one side mainly - etc but won eventually. Sold to another neighbour who ran a 'boutique' development company and he built the 2 houses. V nice they were too, local vernacular all that jazz (half tiled etc). Sold in a jiffy for many quids.

We had to get out reasonably pronto as they wanted to get on with demolition, bought this place, temporary like. Still here nearly 15 years later. :D

Oh yeah, this roof leaks a tiny bit but only when the rain is driving in horizontally from a v specific direction. Arf!

Oh. As this is the pix thread. I think these are council houses at Chalk Farm, Lunnon. Used to live not far away.

Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:38 pm
I'm sure you're right, but it just doesn't look quite right to my untrained eye.
That's half the fun :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

99% of buildings here have flat roofs.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:26 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:38 pm

That's half the fun :D
Cantilever that don't look 'right'? Laydeez n' Gemmun I give you the 'Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should, Pig's Ear' award winner. :D

Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

But if you must, then get it (Loyd W)right -

'Fallingwater' :thumbup:

Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:53 pm 99% of buildings here have flat roofs.
They are certainly the easiest style of roof to build. But what is your annual rainfall? And don't I recall you having to re-do your flat roof a while back?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:18 pm
They are certainly the easiest style of roof to build. But what is your annual rainfall? And don't I recall you having to re-do your flat roof a while back?
Flat roofs in the UK are a nightmare. I suppose designs evolve based on what works locally and available materials. The UK's not much good for making adobe bricks but we had plenty of fuel for brick and tile works. Some areas had plenty of thatching material too*.

Concrete's available pretty widely but there have been a few problems with it in wet places if it has metal reinforcement. Romans did OK with their cement/concrete without the metal though :D

Traditional Japanese houses were designed to not make too much of a thump in an earthquake I believe, but we don't get too many of them. :thumbup:

Different strokes for different folks/places.

*Wonder how many countries have/had thatched roof houses??
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Surrounded by lots of trees and in an area of high anual rainfall, especially if it's got an internal gutter means it gets blocked by leaves and then deposits its contents into the internal building envelope (on yer telly) which is an utterly dogshit idea.
Normal gutters (even on a flat roof) just leak on the outside of the building and cause a damp patch at the top of a wall. Thats less of a dogshit idea.

I'm gonna guess that you don't have over a metre of rainfall per year, nor several sycamore tree's overhanging the house.
Plus a lot of homes in Spain use the flat roof as a roof terrace so in theory, its better maintained and if there's a blockage its easy to access.
Last edited by demographic on Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Before the last building work,we had a room with a flat roof for over 30 years with no bother. Materials have improved since then.

It rains the odd time here.....
Last edited by Skub on Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The roof on my house is flat.

It's just tilted at an angle too. :thumbup: