Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Noggin »

David wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:59 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:46 pm Doesn't really rate BMP or winding up, just a smidge WTF! :lol:

Actually meeting a lovely bloke who not only makes me smile and laugh a lot (together, not just me sitting laughing to myself!) and despite the lack of age gap, I really fancy him -

and then finding out he hates bikes (really does NOT like them) and doesn't ski??

WTAF universe! That's not kind!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :angry-argument: :angry-argument: :angry-argument:

:lol: :lol:
Noggers....there are more things in Heaven and Earth than bikes and skiing........
Are you sure?? :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:46 pm ...
and then finding out he hates bikes (really does NOT like them) and doesn't ski??
Has he said you should get rid of the bike, its the bike or me? If he likes you the bike wont be an obstacle and if he does says its the bike or me, well he's only going to be more demanding later so maybe he's not as wonderful as you think.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ian wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:07 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:46 pm ...
Has he said you should get rid of the bike, its the bike or me? If he likes you the bike wont be an obstacle and if he does says its the bike or me, well he's only going to be more demanding later so maybe he's not as wonderful as you think.
Oh god, we’re no where near that point yet 🤣🤣. But no one gets to tell me to stop riding a bike (or skiing!).

My mother tried very hard, to a lesser degree so did my sister. They’d both say they were right to cos of the injury. But they weren’t!

I’ve seen too many male friends give up because their girl went from thinking bikes are sexy to thinking their bloke shouldn’t ride one now. Not something I’d ever accept!!

TBF, I don’t think I’m that bothered having thought about it a smidge more (was just a bit of a WTAF universe moment!!). He likes similar music and apparently even dances!! To rock n roll - that could well make up for the bikes/skiing thing! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But as I say. No where near there at the moment 🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I would hazard (ok I know) that nobody in my family -likes- me riding bikes. But it's not something I'm prepared to discuss, they know that. They've played the long game in that , presumably, at some point I'll be too decrepit to continue. :thumbup:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:02 am I would hazard (ok I know) that nobody in my family -likes- me riding bikes. But it's not something I'm prepared to discuss, they know that. They've played the long game in that , presumably, at some point I'll be too decrepit to continue. :thumbup:
I can honestly say I've never had any real negativity from anyone in my family about riding bikes - either that or I've just been too oblivious to notice. Once I'd bought my first bike it was just accepted that I was a motorcyclist. The bike was a non-runner and Dad said I could have it as long as I fixed it myself - he wasn't going to get involved financially or in the spannering. I was cool with that.

All partners accepted the fact I was a motorcyclist and didn't try to coerce me to stop. Either that or I was sublimely selfish and didn't pay any attention to such attempts...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:01 am

I can honestly say I've never had any real negativity from anyone in my family about riding bikes - either that or I've just been too oblivious to notice. Once I'd bought my first bike it was just accepted that I was a motorcyclist
I know my dear old Ma kicks herself that 35odd years ago she made a big fuss about me using her car to learn to drive in, so I went out and bought a bike and was hooked! Quite possibly wouldn't have ever bothered otherwise, who knows ...
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Getting expanding foam on my arm
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Jody wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:56 pm Getting expanding foam on my arm
Apparently baby oil washes it off.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:05 pm
I would think that extracting the oil is tricky though?
David

Post by David »

Jody wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:30 am
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:05 pm
I would think that extracting the oil is tricky though?

No...surely you have a fruit press?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I know people think the claims about cyclists and red light jumping is exaggerated but this video gives you some idea of what I and others face daily in London. I've only hit one red light jumper, but have had some incredibly near misses and this mornin I ended up on the wrong side of the road to avoid ramming one that cut across me after jumping off the pavement! :crazy:

Of course, it isn't all of London cyclists but it isn't just yoof on hire bikes either there are plenty of fully kitted-out cyclists weaving in and out too and they are normally the most abusive, particularly at other cyclists that hold them up. The Met police occasionally do something about it, but you're more likely to see them witness it and do nothing!

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:02 am I would hazard (ok I know) that nobody in my family -likes- me riding bikes.
Mrs. G has always been ok with it, and also with me taking the Gremlinette on biking trips. She's had disapproving comments from others, but here answer has always been that we enjoy the trips and it's nobody else's business.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:02 am I would hazard (ok I know) that nobody in my family -likes- me riding bikes. But it's not something I'm prepared to discuss, they know that. They've played the long game in that , presumably, at some point I'll be too decrepit to continue. :thumbup:
I can honestly say I've never had any real negativity from anyone in my family about riding bikes - either that or I've just been too oblivious to notice. Once I'd bought my first bike it was just accepted that I was a motorcyclist. The bike was a non-runner and Dad said I could have it as long as I fixed it myself - he wasn't going to get involved financially or in the spannering. I was cool with that.

All partners accepted the fact I was a motorcyclist and didn't try to coerce me to stop. Either that or I was sublimely selfish and didn't pay any attention to such attempts...
My Mum hated me riding bikes, but one of my mates was killed on his moped at 16 which didn't help. My wife doesn't like me riding bikes but has never interfered other than trying to stop me buying so many! :? :D That said, she worries a lot more in winter time now, especially in heavy rain or frosty conditions and often asks me to take the train and recently asked about my using the train for the winter. I don't handle the cold as well as i did when i was young and I guess as she's seen me swearing trying to get the gloves off my numb hands or emerge wet from my waterproofs, and she just feels sorry for me?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My missus loves seeing me ride. Especially on track.

When I had my big smash in 2007, she was keen to see me back on track.

My dad rode till 85 and elder (wanker) brother has some big fat Harley.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My mother didn't speak to me for 6 weeks when I got my first bike. Kind of a bonus but would have made Christmas awkward, so she deigned to speak to me but not actually converse!! :lol:

When I crashed the first Blackbird I didn't tell her cos I didn't want the hassle - only she went to my place for something (I'd given her a key cos she was visiting her mother in the same town on a regular basis). Instead of calling me when she saw the crashed bike on the drive, she bloody phoned my BDad who was on a business trip in the States, so nowhere near the same time!! Never did find out why she didn't try and phone me first!! :lol: (Drama I guess)

All hell broke loose for a while. But as BDad had bought that bike, he couldn't give me too much shit, and I was fine!

But my mother and my sister have had regular digs since! Mum's phrase was always "if you do a parachute jump you'll break your back and if you get a motorbike you'll die!" - she was half right :lol: :lol: (Mind you, TBF, the first time I broke my back was horse riding at 10 years old - under her instruction!!)

Weirdly, she would 100% prefer me to ride horses :shock: :shock: And my sister scuba dives!! :roll: :roll: - at least I'm only arguing with my own brain on a bike and if I do have an issue, at least I almost certainly have oxygen!! :lol: :lol:

No way will anyone tell me to give up riding a bike whilst I still can. And if my arm does get too bad, there's companies here (as in the UK) that will help sort out left hand controls. So I have a few years yet :D :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

My dad rode before I was born, I was forbidden to have a bike whilst living at home, guess what I did as soon as I could afford it :obscene-birdiedoublered: my mother still hates that I ride.

Wife rides so no grief there.
Daughter has blown hot and cold over getting her license for years, a small part of me hopes she doesn't.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:39 pm

My Mum hated me riding bikes, but one of my mates was killed on his moped at 16 which didn't help. My wife doesn't like me riding bikes but has never interfered other than trying to stop me buying so many! :? :D That said, she worries a lot more in winter time now, especially in heavy rain or frosty conditions and often asks me to take the train and recently asked about my using the train for the winter. I don't handle the cold as well as i did when i was young and I guess as she's seen me swearing trying to get the gloves off my numb hands or emerge wet from my waterproofs, and she just feels sorry for me?
I'd say that your wife doesn't want to see you go through unnecessary unpleasantness and suffering. If my wife rode a motorbike in those conditions I'd be doing and saying exactly the same as your wife. Except I'd probably use fruitier language.

Is she aware that reaction times are noticeably longer when the rider is cold and/or wet? I'm very impresed that you carry on riding when the weather turns truly shit and I'm aware that it saves you £££s on the commute, but I'd be looking at alternatives when the weather turns shit. Can't you broker a deal with your employer whereby you WFH when the temps are below or just above zero?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:36 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:39 pm

I'd say that your wife doesn't want to see you go through unnecessary unpleasantness and suffering. If my wife rode a motorbike in those conditions I'd be doing and saying exactly the same as your wife. Except I'd probably use fruitier language.

Is she aware that reaction times are noticeably longer when the rider is cold and/or wet? I'm very impresed that you carry on riding when the weather turns truly shit and I'm aware that it saves you £££s on the commute, but I'd be looking at alternatives when the weather turns shit. Can't you broker a deal with your employer whereby you WFH when the temps are below or just above zero?
I used to do it to save money for the family pot, I suppose that doesn't really count so much these days, but its also convenience. My commute is circa an hour each way, its a lot, lot longer using public transport! When I'm cold, its only for the last half hour of my commute, so I'll carry on suffering it for now as its still the lesser of the two evils! :think:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Been there, done that, I'm way over it being fun
DSC00437.JPG
DSC00437.JPG (854.91 KiB) Viewed 22 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If it was me I'd be investing in heated everything. The technology is there, it needs to be used! It's an investment in your well-being, your health and your safety.

That photo of MrLongbeard gives me the heeby-jeebies... Did your face really turn grey and your eyes go crossed?