Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:27 pm On a related note - I'm, occasionally, driving a Jag E-Pace with flappy paddles at the moment. They're terrible but I did discover that it has 9 gears. 9!
I used the flappy paddles 2 or 3 times in my previous car (first auto which I've owned), I don't think I've ever used them in my current one. They're funny for a couple of minutes, then you realise the car does a much better job of choosing for itself :obscene-birdiedoublered: Plus it'll happily skip gears in auto, but not in flappy mode. I.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd up to speed then drop straight into top.

Love the box of many ratios though! Motorway cruise is 1300rpm :D
Taipan

Re: Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Post by Taipan »

We're already embracing quick shifts. You'll end up with DCTs eventually as they are more efficient than manual boxes. Its a natural progression the same as it has been in cars. Manual transmission is, frankly, very old fashioned.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:03 am We're already embracing quick shifts. You'll end up with DCTs eventually as they are more efficient than manual boxes. Its a natural progression the same as it has been in cars. Manual transmission is, frankly, very old fashioned.
I think you need to define 'efficient'. By the very nature of auto boxes, they are more complicated than manual boxes and cost more to produce. And as there are more moving parts, there is more scope for those moving parts to go wrong. They are also bulkier and heavier as a result of the above.

So how does that make auto/DCT boxes more efficient?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

On the efficency front. I was running out of juice on my LT somewhere in France (thanks to a string of 'Rue Barrée' events). I found it used less petrol using the cruise control than applying my brain/throttle hand. If an auto box is properly configured I imagine the same would be the case.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:30 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:03 am We're already embracing quick shifts. You'll end up with DCTs eventually as they are more efficient than manual boxes. Its a natural progression the same as it has been in cars. Manual transmission is, frankly, very old fashioned.
I think you need to define 'efficient'. By the very nature of auto boxes, they are more complicated than manual boxes and cost more to produce. And as there are more moving parts, there is more scope for those moving parts to go wrong. They are also bulkier and heavier as a result of the above.

More efficient in action more than manual selection. Quicker changing, better in race and off road situations as well as general road use. You philistines can cry the manual is dead, long live the manual, but it wont be an option for much longer! ;) :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:32 am

More efficient in action more than manual selection. Quicker changing, better in race and off road situations as well as general road use. You philistines can cry the manual is dead, long live the manual, but it wont be an option for much longer! ;) :D
I don't know whether it's more efficient, but i don't see a downside with them at all. However all the oldies will cry about rider engagement, interaction etc
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:34 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:32 am

I don't know whether it's more efficient, but i don't see a downside with them at all. However all the oldies will cry about rider engagement, interaction etc
It all depends on what you want from a vehicle, I guess. If you want something that effortlessly carries you from one place to another with minimal intervention/engagement from the rider/driver, then an auto is a no brainer. I could probably get used to that in a car/van but it would be the antithesis of what I wanted from a motorbike.

My concern was chiefly about size/weight/complexity/cost of auto vs. manual boxes. As an example, I've been looking at Skoda Superb estates as our next 4 wheel workhorse, and there are so many examples of auto boxes failing expensively when the servicing schedule is not adhered to, and some when it has. By comparison, manual boxes are bulletproof. This may be Skoda-specific, but it speaks to a wider concern.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lots of bikes have had 1st and 2nd gear problems, probably due to abuse, but nether the less, gearbox problems are certainly not heard of with motorbikes. Hondas DCTs are holding up remarkably well, with the NC700//750s achieving 200k plus mileage and I haven't heard of any problems with the 1100 DCTs? Don't forget DCTs have "flappy paddles" (+/- switches) and manual modes too. You're also slowly getting auto acceptance by stealth with the increased amount of bikes with quickshifters and blippers anyway. Your clunky days are diminishing, slowly but surely... :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I do kinda agree on teh point about quickshifters and blippers.

I don't want either, I can do both myself thank-you-very-much. I don't want a DCT for the same reason. I can't square in my head how you can love a quickshifter but not want a DCT TBH.

For a car though, I'd never want to go back to manual for my day-to-day. The auto in my car is basically invisible, the pedal is just a go pedal and most of the time you can only sense the gearchanges by watching the rev counter. Short of an EV there's nothing better in that regard for a daily IMO.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Rode an NC750DCT in Los Angeles...absolutely perfect for the job in stop-start traffic, fine on the freeways and plenty of fun up and down the twisties when we eventually got to the canyons.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:58 pm Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
Like the early H1s? :thumbup:

It can take a bit of getting used to. I've pulled out into the flow of traffic in neutral a few times.
I try really hard not to do that now. :D
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:43 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:58 pm Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
Like the early H1s? :thumbup:

It can take a bit of getting used to. I've pulled out into the flow of traffic in neutral a few times.
I try really hard not to do that now. :D
I'm pretty sure that was the neutral setup on my very first bike (a fire-breathing 90cc OHV Honda). I reckon I could get used to it fairly quickly...
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I love quick shifters and blippers but I want to change gear when I want not when the bike decides, an auto won’t drop 3 gears braking heavy so the slipper clutch cuts in, an auto box won’t let you clutch up onto one wheel, an auto box won’t short shift, an auto box can’t read the road and hold a gear. They’re fine if you use a bike as transport but not as fun for me. My car and van are both auto and as clever as they are they are still sometimes in the wrong gear as they can’t see the road but I’ll put up with it in them but not on a bike.