Biker Bingo

Anything you like about motorbikes
Rockburner

Re: Biker Bingo

Post by Rockburner »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:11 am 18. Don't think I've ever run totally out of fuel. And even with separate steering locks don't think I've ridden off with one on.
I did that on my very first proper motorcycle (after riding scooters), I think I had the fuel tap on "reserve" instead of "on".

Also managed it on the Rockster once - which is where I learned that, due to the saddle-type tank, and the sticky-out cylinders, it's very easy to lay the bike down gently onto the rhs cylinder head, rock it over and get all the fuel from the left side of the tank into the right side, and get another mile or two down the road. :)
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'll add:

Tried multiple times to do a bump start (pushing the bike back up the hill each time) before realising it works better if you turn the ignition on. :oops:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:08 pm I'll add:

Tried multiple times to do a bump start (pushing the bike back up the hill each time) before realising it works better if you turn the ignition on. :oops:
It works better going down the hill too. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Ian

Post by Ian »

Done that, threw the bike away in temper, kicked it splitting the recently recovered seat (I needed to be somewhere). Then noticed the ignition :oops:

How about rode 25miles two up in the dark with no lights thanks to Jo Lucas lord of darkness? Battery connection came loose and because there's no regulator on a Bantam all the lights went pop.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Skub wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:26 pm

Unfortunately I lived at the top of a slope...which was great - if the bump start worked - but it was hard work pushing things back up to have another go at identifying the 'fault'. :(

Another: Completed a journey (safely!) having snapped a clutch cable. (Thank heavens for modern hydraulics! 🙏 ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:06 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:11 am 18. Don't think I've ever run totally out of fuel. And even with separate steering locks don't think I've ridden off with one on.
I did that on my very first proper motorcycle (after riding scooters), I think I had the fuel tap on "reserve" instead of "on".

Also managed it on the Rockster once - which is where I learned that, due to the saddle-type tank, and the sticky-out cylinders, it's very easy to lay the bike down gently onto the rhs cylinder head, rock it over and get all the fuel from the left side of the tank into the right side, and get another mile or two down the road. :)
I had the pleasure of pushing my bike home, a twin 2 stroke 175 my dad restored for me, for five miles along the A10, after a table tennis competition, thinking I had run out of fuel. The next day I found that it was turned off, instead of being on reserve!! Oh the joys of youth.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Never ridden in snow, not proper snow anyway.

By a wheelie, I’m not claiming a little, short term, “oh” wheel up a few inches, as a wheelie. I’ve never hoisted a minger. Done several little ones as above.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:31 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:26 pm

Unfortunately I lived at the top of a slope...which was great - if the bump start worked - but it was hard work pushing things back up to have another go at identifying the 'fault'. :(

Another: Completed a journey (safely!) having snapped a clutch cable. (Thank heavens for modern hydraulics! 🙏 ).
Yup (actually it was a failed hydraulic clutch that wouldn't disengage, but tomato/tomato).
non quod, sed quomodo
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:55 am

Is the law clear on the legality of doing this? I never checked at the time (my experience is from the early 90s) and the law may have changed anyway. I don't recall seeing any plod and there were fewer / zero cameras back then.

I can't recall which bits of the tow-bike were tied to the tow-ee - there weren't any YouTubes to consult back then....
Obviously we had no bike-to-bike comms.
This was 1982,no idea if it was legal or not,we just got on with it.
These day's you probably need to attend a course,wear a Hi-Viz & tell everyone about it on social media..
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:27 pm
DefTrap wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:55 am

Is the law clear on the legality of doing this? I never checked at the time (my experience is from the early 90s) and the law may have changed anyway. I don't recall seeing any plod and there were fewer / zero cameras back then.

I can't recall which bits of the tow-bike were tied to the tow-ee - there weren't any YouTubes to consult back then....
Obviously we had no bike-to-bike comms.
This was 1982,no idea if it was legal or not,we just got on with it.
These day's you probably need to attend a course,wear a Hi-Viz & tell everyone about it on social media..
Exactly that: circa 1973, I towed my mate on his AJS thumper by tying rope to his front forks, attached to my Suzuki Hustler and off we went. Got him back to Enfield from Epping. Never gave plod a thought. Just did it and laughed about it afterwards. Oh, and no crash helmet either, as I recall.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Iirc, you're not supposed to tie the rope off.

Wrap it around the bars, then hold it tight with one hand. If it all goes to shit you just let go.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:47 pm Iirc, you're not supposed to tie the rope off.

Wrap it around the bars, then hold it tight with one hand. If it all goes to shit you just let go.
Yup, that's what I mentioned up there ..
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:47 pm Iirc, you're not supposed to tie the rope off.

And easier on bikes without a fairing, it goes between the forks then up to the bars.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I towed my mate using my best west ham scarf. Sold it to Tom Baker after that...
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:37 am I read it as disc lock even if it didn't actually say that.
Do you remember what they’d said before opening the exam paper ?
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Only to write on one side of the paper at a time?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I thought they said wipe?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The alarm on my KTM Duke 2 cut all the electrics whilst out riding. My mate happened to drive past in his car and said he'd give me a tow. I said no but he was insistent and it was a 2.5 mile walk, so I reluctantly tied a tope around the handlebars all the time thinking 'I'm sure this isn't a good idea'. Went well for half a mile till the first round about! :lol:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

18 for me, no track and no waving at cameras.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

oh yeah - thought of another entry for the list: Lost blood while working on the bike (aka feeding the beast).
non quod, sed quomodo