NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Taipan

Re: NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Post by Taipan »

I've been toying with the idea of moving this on. It seems a chunk of change to use as a year-round hack and I can have a SH300 for free, but i'd need to get a COC from Honda so I prove it conforms to ULEZ spec. I was pretty set on doing this but I gather the market is still crap for sales and riding it into work today did make me reassess things as I do love riding it. I think i'll roll it over until spring next year and see how things are with bike sales then?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I can't see why sales would change, less people riding bikes, less people going to offices and just less people even remotely interested in motorcycles. The market is what is is, that's not going to change much IMO.
Keeping a bike longer and putting more miles on it will only lower the value.
Skub

Post by Skub »

If I was still doing a commute,I wouldn't look past owning another SH300. That says something coming from a long term Homda hater.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:38 pm I can't see why sales would change, less people riding bikes, less people going to offices and just less people even remotely interested in motorcycles. The market is what is is, that's not going to change much IMO.
Keeping a bike longer and putting more miles on it will only lower the value.
The worst biking summer ever will have affected bike sales as they're pretty seasonal anyway. Yes the added miles wont help its value, but it wont make that much difference.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Lol you already made your mind up but phrased it as a question, but it really wasn't
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:55 pm Lol you already made your mind up but phrased it as a question, but it really wasn't
My mind is never made up, more in flux i'd say... :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:30 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:55 pm Lol you already made your mind up but phrased it as a question, but it really wasn't
My mind is never made up, more in flux i'd say... :D
Like my middle lad. He makes up his mind on a definite course of action,but that decision can change at the drop of a hat,to be replaced by a new definite course of action.
Walt Whitman
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Is there a Catch 22 with X-Adv's? They're really popular, but they're popular with thieving scrotes too...so that might put people off buying them (and puts up insurance £s?).

(I started from a pov when I read up there ^^^ where I thought surely, even in a slow market, X-Advs will sell pretty easily, then I started to wonder).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:37 pm Is there a Catch 22 with X-Adv's? They're really popular, but they're popular with thieving scrotes too...so that might put people off buying them (and puts up insurance £s?).

(I started from a pov when I read up there ^^^ where I thought surely, even in a slow market, X-Advs will sell pretty easily, then I started to wonder).
All big autos are popular with scroates. Its so easy to push along another stolen bike with an auto, they're even doing it with Surrons now! Tmax is a bigger risk to own than an X-ADv but probably because there is more of them to nick?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:46 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:37 pm Is there a Catch 22 with X-Adv's? They're really popular, but they're popular with thieving scrotes too...so that might put people off buying them (and puts up insurance £s?).

All big autos are popular with scroates. Its so easy to push along another stolen bike with an auto, they're even doing it with Surrons now! Tmax is a bigger risk to own than an X-ADv but probably because there is more of them to nick?
I'd still have thought the X-Adv would hold up pretty well even in a slow total market and, probably even more so against other types of bike in a long period of crap weather. Ideal for a commuter that does a decent daily distance from home to work. (I heard that there are still a few that don't work from home :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:57 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:46 pm

I'd still have thought the X-Adv would hold up pretty well even in a slow total market and, probably even more so against other types of bike in a long period of crap weather. Ideal for a commuter that does a decent daily distance from home to work. (I heard that there are still a few that don't work from home :D ).
Yes, possibly it would do okay, I haven't even looked at completed sales on ebay! I can get the SH300 for free, but I would give him some money of course. I could then cash the xadv in, but the fly in the ointment is although I get some cash back, there aren't really any other benefits. The XADV and sh300 have almost comparable economy, with the sh edging it by about 5-10mpg and servicing and tyre costs are better on the sh, but its hardly going to change anything for me and then the xadv wins everywhere else. Wish I'd never been offered the sh tbh! :crazy: :D Of course I can have both but they aren't different enough to bother with...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:50 pm I can have both but they aren't different enough to bother with...
The man with two 500 triples is saying nothing..... :silent:
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Neither is the man with two Falcos...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Finally went ahead and drilled the end cap to get to the db killer retaining screw. I drilled it pretty much bang on but could have gone 2mm higher? Any way the cat is still fitted so it just sounds a bit deeper in its tone. Will see what it sounds like when actually riding when I go back to work next week. Can always put it back again, or I could if I hadn’t dropped the screw inside the cap! D’oh!

Oh and yes I circled the hole properly and will fit a blanking grommet.

upload a photo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I can at least hear it now, but its not loud by any stretch of the imagination. The CAT is doing the job of silencer more than the silencer did, but I wont stick a decat pipe on. It'll do as it is.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I met a couple on Le Shuttle who were heading to Spain on a brace of ADV-Xs.

He has a 1250GS, but the wife wanted to ride her own bike, so they left the GS at home.

I originally thought it might be a bit of a struggle riding a Ped to Spain, then I remembered it was a 750 twin;
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

There are loads of X-ADVs around in Catalonia - Girona and Barcelona are full of them, most often with couples on.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:33 pm There are loads of X-ADVs around in Catalonia - Girona and Barcelona are full of them, most often with couples on.
Apparently they are very popular in Europe! There was two within walking distance of my hotel in nerja last month!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I seem to recall a good few years back listening to FEC podcast and they were talking about the X-ADV and how it'd flopped here but was the best selling bike in Europe in the same year. Big scoots make lots of sense for commuting and practical use.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Skub wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:11 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:50 pm I can have both but they aren't different enough to bother with...
The man with two 500 triples is saying nothing..... :silent:
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:35 pm Neither is the man with two Falcos...
<cough/> <cough/>

ahem, no, sorry, as you were, just swallowed a fly....
non quod, sed quomodo