In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
MyLittleStudPony

Re: In todays news...

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Nigel Farage ditches Reform UK’s ‘contract with the people’ just 2 months after election.

After criticism that Reform UK’s election contract with the people was ‘Liz Truss on steroids’, new Reform UK chairman has admitted that the party is working on a new set of policies as well as drawing up rules enabling the party’s leader to be sacked.

Reform UK’s ruthless pursuit of putting Nigel Farage into Downing Street by 2029 has seen them already move on from their “contract with the people” at the general election just two months ago, the party’s new chairman has admitted.

Businessman Zia Yusuf was brought in by Mr Farage to reorganise Reform UK after what the new chair admits was “a scrappy start-up” election beset with scandals over candidates and serious questions over the party’s policies.

In a wide ranging interview he also said:

* That Reform will allow members to ditch their own leader in a new constitution

* The party has been inspired by French far-right leader Marine Le Pen doubling her vote in France

*That people who work for the Conservative Party have been in talks with Reform about coming over
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:03 pm I think the article is a common reaction to Starmers incredible act of back peddling on his interview below which was only in May this year! I think most politicians are janus-faced bastards, but Starmer has excelled himself at being a duplicitous cnut and shocked a lot of labour voters with his blatant hypocrisy here!

"...another pensioner was describing to me going round the supermarket, picking something up and looking at the price and then putting it back on the shelf."

He's describing this as if it happened recently. Why didn't the pensioner look at the price label on the shelf before picking up the item? Or is this a story from when Tony Blair was Prime Mincer?

Or maybe yet another thing to blame on Maggie. :roll:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I often pick stuff up, look at the price, and decide it is not worth THAT much. It's a common sense thing rather than being poor, or a pensioner. Picking it up often allow me to gauge stuff like quality that the shelf label doesn't.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I think it's normal for folk moving on to a fixed income to suddenly become much more aware of prices of things. If you can make decent shopping savings by shopping around and being aware of (what seems to be) random price hikes, then why not?

Using the Morning Star as a stick to beat the new Labour government with is clutching at straws innit? Is Farage on his holidays still? Why isn't he sorting out Clacton? :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:03 pm I think the article is a common reaction to Starmers incredible act of back peddling on his interview below which was only in May this year! I think most politicians are janus-faced bastards, but Starmer has excelled himself at being a duplicitous cnut and shocked a lot of labour voters with his blatant hypocrisy here!

He's correct, it isn't right that old people should wear jumpers instead of turning the heating up or that they should check the price of stuff before buying it.
That's why he's going to level everyone down so they all feel the pain.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:53 pm I think it's normal for folk moving on to a fixed income to suddenly become much more aware of prices of things. If you can make decent shopping savings by shopping around and being aware of (what seems to be) random price hikes, then why not?

Using the Morning Star as a stick to beat the new Labour government with is clutching at straws innit? Is Farage on his holidays still? Why isn't he sorting out Clacton? :D
I dont think anyone needs to beat Labour with anything, they seem to be self flagellating quite well on their own! :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:11 pm
He's correct, it isn't right that old people should wear jumpers instead of turning the heating up
I disagree. It's common sense to wear warmer clothing and keep the heating down when the temperature drops. Only George and Lynne from the the old Sun comic strip could afford to walk around bollock-naked all year round.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The fuss about this winter heating supplement is all a bit bizarre. It was the daftest thing ever to hand it out to every pensioner, rich and poor alike*. If they'd given it only to those most in need they could have given more, but no, it was just another vote-catching bribe. The people that seem to want to bend my ear about it most are all, in relative terms, loaded. Maybe they struggle to heat the big houses they're rattling around in. :lol:

In an attempt to redistribute mine I always used it as a 'good causes fund' because it just felt like a political bung rather than a serious attempt to help the less well off.

To say that some people will miss out because they don't bother claiming pension credit just seems a bit 'Well, derr' :eh: (If the system is too difficult for old folk to navigate, how about simplifying it or making pension credit automatic? Can't be beyond the wit of man to do that surely).

* I may misremember but didn't it used to only kick in if there was a measured v cold period?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:06 pm I dont think anyone needs to beat Labour with anything, they seem to be self flagellating quite well on their own! :lol:
Has anyone done "They won, get over it!" yet? :D That lets you play your get-out-of-jail-free card for at least a couple of years I reckon.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:53 am The fuss about this winter heating supplement is all a bit bizarre. It was the daftest thing ever to hand it out to every pensioner, rich and poor alike*. If they'd given it only to those most in need they could have given more, but no, it was just another vote-catching bribe. The people that seem to want to bend my ear about it most are all, in relative terms, loaded. Maybe they struggle to heat the big houses they're rattling around in. :lol:

In an attempt to redistribute mine I always used it as a 'good causes fund' because it just felt like a political bung rather than a serious attempt to help the less well off.

To say that some people will miss out because they don't bother claiming pension credit just seems a bit 'Well, derr' :eh: (If the system is too difficult for old folk to navigate, how about simplifying it or making pension credit automatic? Can't be beyond the wit of man to do that surely).

* I may misremember but didn't it used to only kick in if there was a measured v cold period?

I've read some bollocks on here but that's just plain ridiculous. :D

Have you read 'Office Life' by Keith Waterhouse?
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:53 am The fuss about this winter heating supplement is all a bit bizarre. It was the daftest thing ever to hand it out to every pensioner, rich and poor alike*. If they'd given it only to those most in need they could have given more, but no, it was just another vote-catching bribe. The people that seem to want to bend my ear about it most are all, in relative terms, loaded. Maybe they struggle to heat the big houses they're rattling around in. :lol:

I don't NEED that £300, but by the same token, those public sector workers don't NEED an above inflation pay rise. It feels like the new Chancer of the Exchequer has reached into my wallet and taken £300 that I don't really need to give it to people who really, really don't need it.

Thing is, there's more money in there that I don't really need just to survive. How long before she tries to take that away and leave me with just subsistence money? And don't tell me the slippery slope or the thin end of the wedge aren't real. :angry-cussingblack:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:09 am
Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:06 pm I dont think anyone needs to beat Labour with anything, they seem to be self flagellating quite well on their own! :lol:
Has anyone done "They won, get over it!" yet? :D That lets you play your get-out-of-jail-free card for at least a couple of years I reckon.
A bit like Brexit you mean! :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I guess he did say "during the course of this campaign"! :think:
Keir Starmer wrote: During his 2020 leadership campaign, Mr Starmer claimed he would not to speak to The Sun newspaper during a hustings in Liverpool.

He said at the time: “I certainly won’t be giving any interviews to The Sun during the course of this campaign.”
Keir Starmer wrote:2024; "I'm very happy to work with The Sun, to write for The Sun, to do interviews for The Sun..."

Labour voters today... :wtf:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

There's means-testing, and there's mean means-testing. From my understanding, if you've paid the full qualifying years you receive a pension of £221.20 per week. If you haven't paid enough to qualify for a full pension, you can claim pension credit which tops it up to £218.15 per week. So you're only £3 per week worse off, but get to keep the WFA while those who have paid in full lose it.
As for those expat pensioners in the EU, they can't claim pension credit so won't qualify for the WFA. Except they will (unless they live in France or Spain) :crazy:
British expats living in the EU, or Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are guaranteed the allowance thanks to the Brexit withdrawal agreement.
If I was a UK-based pensioner who'd paid their full dues I think I'd be a bit pissed off as well. They're essentailly being told 'You're £150 per year better off because you paid in full, so we're going to penalise you by £200-300. But don't worry, the bloke who lives in that 8 bedroom mansion down the road is going to lose it as well'.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:53 am
It always arrived just before Xmas, so a charity got a sizeable Xmas prezzie from me too.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Hoonercat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:37 pm They're essentailly being told 'You're £150 per year better off because you paid in full, so we're going to penalise you by £200-300. But don't worry, the bloke who lives in that 8 bedroom mansion down the road is going to lose it as well'.
This is par for the course with benefits, tax and all the rest of it though.

You gotta draw the line somewhere (assuming you're gonna draw it at all, that is) and it's always gonna be a fairly crude tool unless you get into quite detailed means testing, which ends up being more expensive than the savings you make....
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Hoonercat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:37 pm Except they will (unless they live in France or Spain) :crazy:
My house in France i way colder in Winter than my house in the UK. Who do I complain to?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:24 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:37 pm Except they will (unless they live in France or Spain) :crazy:
My house in France i way colder in Winter than my house in the UK. Who do I complain to?
Greenpeace.
cheb

Post by cheb »

All this fuss could have been avoided if they'd just increased the basic pension by the same amount instead of a new benefit needing more civil servants and, it wouldn't be a surprise, a complete new computer system to administer it.

But it would only have been a small increase per week, not enough to buy a <cheap item>, and where's the vote gathering kudos in that.

And pensioners being so stupid they need to be told to put a jumper on when it gets cold probably can't budget either.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:30 pm probably can't budget either.
Anyone who failed to meet their NI contributions for four decades probably falls into that category TBF :D