Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

Post by gremlin »

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/ ... hort-films

A bit whimsical and light-hearted, but I liked it.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Stupid, but mildy amusing, easy to watch offering...

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I saw Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series 1 and 2 were both on Amazon for £6.99, so I bought 'em both.

It's Star Trek like Star Trek used to be! Stories are wrapped up in one episode (pretty much), it's not dark and gritty and depressing, people solve problems by thinking them through, the Captain is an optimist! Plus it's got the best quiff on modern TV.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

House of the Dragon. The first season was very good, but the second has felt increasingly with each episode that it was going the same way as Game of Thrones…

The last episode aired a couple of days ago, still not brought myself to watch it..
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:24 pm Stupid, but mildy amusing, easy to watch offering...

I nearly gave up very soon. But coz you'd recommended it, I carried on

Brilliant film :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:00 pm I saw Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series 1 and 2 were both on Amazon for £6.99, so I bought 'em both.

It's Star Trek like Star Trek used to be! Stories are wrapped up in one episode (pretty much), it's not dark and gritty and depressing, people solve problems by thinking them through, the Captain is an optimist! Plus it's got the best quiff on modern TV.
Just got to the musical episode. Star Trek's first ever one in the nearly 60 years it's been going.

Surprisingly OK actually :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Thought it'd be stupid...but if they have can western planet episodes, Nazi planet episodes, Robin Hood episodes etc etc they can do a musical. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:19 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:00 pm I saw Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series 1 and 2 were both on Amazon for £6.99, so I bought 'em both.

Just got to the musical episode. Star Trek's first ever one in the nearly 60 years it's been going.

Surprisingly OK actually :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Thought it'd be stupid...but if they have can western planet episodes, Nazi planet episodes, Robin Hood episodes etc etc they can do a musical. :lol:
Bit of a change for Anson Mount from 'Hell on Wheels*' to 'Larking about in Space'. :D

* Which coincidentally had Colm Meaney from TNG and DS9 in. Space cowboys?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Speaking of cast cross overs....there's an episode in series two where two animated characters from Lower Decks appear in the live action Strange New Worlds. The voice actors from the former play the same characters in real life.

I never clocked that the guy who voices the lead in LD (purple haired Boimler) is Hughie from The Boys.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:39 am Speaking of cast cross overs....there's an episode in series two where two animated characters from Lower Decks appear in the live action Strange New Worlds. The voice actors from the former play the same characters in real life.

I never clocked that the guy who voices the lead in LD (purple haired Boimler) is Hughie from The Boys.

As you're a Trek fan you can answer the most puzzling question.

Where are the bogs on Federation ships/why does no-one ever use them? :D

(Don't think they had any on DS9 either).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

A question asked many times :D

They're behind those doors on set you never see open. Picard's ready room for example, to the left of his desk.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:17 am As you're a Trek fan you can answer the most puzzling question.

Where are the bogs on Federation ships/why does no-one ever use them?

(Don't think they had any on DS9 either).
With the personal transporters in Discovery you just poop where and when you want and it's instantly transported outside of the ship

Edit, also, https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Toilet
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I watch them so you don't have to! :thumbdown:

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Doing my civic duty, i watched FALLOUT, just so you don't have to.

I don't know if it makes more sense if you've played the video game, but as a prog, it's awful !
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:57 am Doing my civic duty, i watched FALLOUT, just so you don't have to.

I don't know if it makes more sense if you've played the video game, but as a prog, it's awful !
I started it, as I'd read a gushing review somewhere. After about three episodes I realised it wasn't going to get any better.

I've just finished Bodies on Netflix. It's worth a watch, if a little far-fetched and slightly incoherent at the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18347622/
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Your Honor. available on Netflix US I think.
US Judge's son accidentally kils a mobsters son and the whole thing kicks off. Really wanted to like it because Cranston was amazing in Breaking Bad. Set in New Orleans which was about the most interesting thing about it.
For a series of this type where you'd expect there to be an awful lot of violence, there was hardly any - they almost went out of their way to avoid it to the extent that the missus and I were taking bets on whether they would go through with all their threats.
Overall, poorly written and the supporting cast are mediocre or reasonably awful. (The lady playing the District Attorney particularly so - evoking a group sigh from all watching whenever she appeared in a scene). I barely made it to the finish line - and only did so because I kept waiting for it to pick up, which never happened. Deeply unsatisfying.

This Town on the Beeb iPlayer
Odd story of early 80s Brummie music, drug & alcohol abuse and nefarious IRA goings-on, but some great writing and very well played by all concerned. All set to a backdrop of 80s Ska - I was never really into that sort of moosic as a yoot, but it makes it very atmospheric and roots the series quite nicely.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:47 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:57 am Doing my civic duty, i watched FALLOUT, just so you don't have to.

I started it, as I'd read a gushing review somewhere. After about three episodes I realised it wasn't going to get any better.

I've just finished Bodies on Netflix. It's worth a watch, if a little far-fetched and slightly incoherent at the end.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18347622/
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are the last two computer games I completed (or indeed, played), back whenever it was they came out. Therefore I knew the world etc and 'got' the story.

It was OK IMO. 6/10.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Just started Season 4 of the Umbrella Academy, looking good so far and loved Fallout.

Awaiting Season 2 of Arcane.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:07 pm Just started Season 4 of the Umbrella Academy, looking good so far and loved Fallout.

Awaiting Season 2 of Arcane.
I was seriously disappointed by the end of TUA. Could have been a great series but just felt like the writers couldn't be arsed and got bored with the whole thing.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I still have to watch TUA4. Thinking I may have a full re-watch first.

Not a gamer at all, but really enjoyed watching Fallout 😎
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Started watching Sunny on Apple. It has been fairly entertaining/ with a plot that is convoluted.
Episode 7 (I think) was plain odd. I I don’t smoke the herb it was just unhinged and unwatchable.
Back to Freddie Flintoff and his really needy bunch of yoofs