In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: In todays news...

Post by gremlin »

Eight stabbed and 334 arrests at Notting Hill Carnival

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c07e55159kro

We had a rather macabre competition last week to predict the number of stabbings at the HNC. I guessed right with 8. :thumbdown: :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

8 stabbings from 334 people though, someone isn't pulling their weight.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:49 am 8 stabbings from 334 people though, someone isn't pulling their weight.
Middling number this year. Clearly after Covid the stabbies were out of practice with only 7, improvement in the numbers last year, but slipping down the rankings this year.

2017 12 stabbings no fatal stabbings
2018 7 stabbings no fatal stabbings
2019 18 stabbings no fatal stabbings
2022 7 stabbings including one fatal stabbing
2023 10 stabbings no fatal stabbings

All joking aside, a young mother with her child is one of the victims? FFS.

And who'd wanna be a copper at carnival?
https://www.met.police.uk/foi-ai/metrop ... ival-data/
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bit of a non story here. She got the wrong train then moaned there was nobody to help her
Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, the 11-time Paralympic gold medallist said she had initially booked assistance to help her off the 19:15 train from Leeds, but missed it and instead travelled on the 19:45.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq5dqxzggleo

Hmm...
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:49 pm Bit of a non story here. She got the wrong train then moaned there was nobody to help her
Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, the 11-time Paralympic gold medallist said she had initially booked assistance to help her off the 19:15 train from Leeds, but missed it and instead travelled on the 19:45.

Hmm...
"She waited five minutes before posting anything on social media".

I waas going to say this sounds a tiny bit needy (and I think it still does tbh) but I suppose moaning on Twitter is probably far more likely to get someone to come to your aid pdq than calling a so-called Helpline.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:52 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:49 pm Bit of a non story here. She got the wrong train then moaned there was nobody to help her

Hmm...
"She waited five minutes before posting anything on social media".

I waas going to say this sounds a tiny bit needy (and I think it still does tbh) but I suppose moaning on Twitter is probably far more likely to get someone to come to your aid pdq than calling a so-called Helpline.
Yeah. That made me giggle.

I still have an amazing respect for what she's achieved. But doesn't stop her being a bit silly.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I guess it depends on the comms that happened when she missed the first train. If there is a system in place to confirm that a change has happened (I guess someone had to help her onto the train in Leeds, so there should/could have been some comms about the change of time?) and TBF, if there isn't a system in place, WTFN??

It seems a bit OTT to complain online, but how many 'normal' people that are disabled have had to do things like this and don't have the clout that this lady has. Fair play to her for making it public - but I would like to know how the system works re changes of train timing and if she followed that system
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Also - is there a new timescale for this -

"We were meant to have level boarding in the UK on 1 January 2020 under the Disability and Discrimination Act but government has kicked the can down the road."
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I was waiting at my local train station the other week. As an occasional user of trains, I don't have the mindset to rush on, so tend to hold back then get on when the silliness is done. So, train pulls in, and as I waited, a station member of staff appeared and set up a wheelchair ramp. The person for whom is was intended waited in her wheelchair, and was pushed on by her friend, which all took a few minutes and me waiting for the process to finish. Not an issue.

As the train pulled into London Bridge at the other end, I was surprised to see the wheelchair user get up out of it, fold it and as the train pulled in and the doors opened, walk off, carrying the wheelchair off onto the platform herself (not her friend, mind) and tell the member of staff that he wasn't needed but thanks anyway.

I was a bit...:wtf:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Hmm...
She might have got on the wrong train BUT there still should be staff available to help, whether that is Station Staff or the train Guard/Onboard Supervisor.

FFS she was at Kings X at 1945hrs, why was there no platform staff about? The OBS/Guard should have called ahead to get them booked if she was an unexpected disabled traveller.

Disabled people get royally messed about by the TOC's and even if they book assistance it is very intermittently delivered (Southern I'm looking at you).

Also using X/Twitter is normally a good way of eliciting a response from the TOC.
Last edited by MingtheMerciless on Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It made me giggle when she said she'd have to pull the emergency cord.

Yeah, as if ;)

I'm gonna burn in hell :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:10 pm

Hmm...
She might have got on the wrong train BUT there still should be staff available to help, whether that is Station Staff or the train Guard/Onboard Supervisor.

FFS she was at Kings X at 1945hrs, why was there no platform staff about? The OBS/Guard should have called ahead to get them booked if she was an unexpected disabled traveller.

Disabled people get royally messed about by the TOC's and even if they book assistance it is very intermittently delivered (Southern I'm looking at you).

Also using X/Twitter is normally a good way of eliciting a response from the TOC.
Are these the guards who are utterly indispensable in terms of customer safety and assistance and have been the cause of many industrial actions? :think:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Noggin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:52 pm Also - is there a new timescale for this -

"We were meant to have level boarding in the UK on 1 January 2020 under the Disability and Discrimination Act but government has kicked the can down the road."
Being in a wheelchair and in a very difficult situation regarding transport and even public toilets is just a fall off a roof, slip off a ladder or cacking off a bike away for all of us.

I've seen enough of all of those bad situations to know just how fragile a good healthy life can be.
I've been lucky and still have all my fingers and toes, a good back and all despite the profoundly stupid shit I've done though my life. Just been jammy as fook I guess.

Plus, I kind of measure a country by how it treats it's least fortunate. Any good team can only work as well as their slowest member, look after them and everyone benefits.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Hmm...
I was on a train ages ago when a woman in a wheelchair couldn't get off as no staff had turned up with a ramp, she seemed resigned to not getting off. If the train company refused to let normal people off at a station there would be uproar. My instant reaction was to stop the doors closing until they found a ramp, I thought I'd get grief from other passengers but they helped me. I wouldn't put up with it so neither should she.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

This didn't take long, more corruption from police and CPS?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cvgdxq2l7kvo
Experts want inquiry delay over Letby evidence concerns
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mussels wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:59 pm This didn't take long, more corruption from police and CPS?
I've read a few reviews of her case, one that stands out was a journalist that attended every day of the trial and was convinced she was innocent (I can't find a link to the story). Then there's the latest stuff where "Letby was alone on the ward" turns out she wasn't because of misreading the data from key card entry system and other nurses were there at the same time, but don't worry it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the trial. From my very limited knowledge of the case it doesn't look like she's been convicted beyond doubt.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:05 pm I was waiting at my local train station the other week. As an occasional user of trains, I don't have the mindset to rush on, so tend to hold back then get on when the silliness is done. So, train pulls in, and as I waited, a station member of staff appeared and set up a wheelchair ramp. The person for whom is was intended waited in her wheelchair, and was pushed on by her friend, which all took a few minutes and me waiting for the process to finish. Not an issue.

As the train pulled into London Bridge at the other end, I was surprised to see the wheelchair user get up out of it, fold it and as the train pulled in and the doors opened, walk off, carrying the wheelchair off onto the platform herself (not her friend, mind) and tell the member of staff that he wasn't needed but thanks anyway.

I was a bit...:wtf:
Wasn't a short, fat bloke, glasses, string vest answers to the name 'Andy ' by any chance? I want that one........ :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:56 pm
Mussels wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:59 pm This didn't take long, more corruption from police and CPS?
I've read a few reviews of her case, one that stands out was a journalist that attended every day of the trial and was convinced she was innocent (I can't find a link to the story). Then there's the latest stuff where "Letby was alone on the ward" turns out she wasn't because of misreading the data from key card entry system and other nurses were there at the same time, but don't worry it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the trial. From my very limited knowledge of the case it doesn't look like she's been convicted beyond doubt.
Private Eye are on the case* and, from what they're saying, her defence team were incompetent, didn't call their own expert witnesses, some of the experts called in by the prosecution have had their assessment subsequently questioned by others - the list goes on.

It all seems pretty circumstantial and there are enough questions to suggest the conviction is 'unsafe'.

I'm guessing (if such a thing is possible) a retrial is the minimum that's needed.

* the other bee in their bonnet is financial shenanigans at Humber/Tees-side - freeport/airport etc. Lord Ben Houchen and is dodgy chums may not be sleeping too soundly at the moment.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

'I stole to order' says prolific ex-shoplifter

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czdpvd41z7mo

Now, in preparation for me becoming the benevolent dictator of the entire world, with the exception of the Isle of Man, I want to run something past you all.

Ross, according to the news article, has been giving it a bit of five-fingered discount all his adult life, in order to feed his drug habit. I feel society and successive governments have failed him. Hence I propose that once my dictatorship is in place and the individuals found littering, puffing on a sickly smelling vape, riding e-bikes with those silly balaclavas and those who fail to indicate when turning left at roundabouts have been vaporised, I turn my attention to the likes of Ross....

Were he to be branded with a mark across his forehead, maybe a 'T' for thief, he would be instantly recognisable and shops could eject him as soon as he sets foot in the door. Thus he would be deprived of goods to sell to fund his habit and would be clean in no time, ready to take his place back in society, minus e-bikes and the like, naturally.

Thoughts?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Another nail in the coffin of the pub trade (potentially, maybe, perhaps)

https://news.sky.com/story/smoking-coul ... s-13205117

But more importantly, why is the dillon trying to spark up an already lit ciggie :think: