looks like we WON'T be doing the TT/NW next year.

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Sadlonelygit

looks like we WON'T be doing the TT/NW next year.

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Swmbo has expressed an interest in seeing the TT, and a trip to Ireland.
A cunning plan emerged, a month away and see some of the finest road racing available.
We could get a ferry from Roscoff straight to the emerald Isle, then another to IoM, IoM to UK, over la manche....Home!
Just been doing some preliminary costings, fmob!
€380 Belfast to Douglas, €420 Douglas to Heysham. I'm only looking to rent 15m² for a couple of hours, not buy the funking boat.
For that kind of money we could go somewhere nice!
Rockburner

Re: looks like we WON'T be doing the TT/NW next year.

Post by Rockburner »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:33 am Swmbo has expressed an interest in seeing the TT, and a trip to Ireland.
A cunning plan emerged, a month away and see some of the finest road racing available.
We could get a ferry from Roscoff straight to the emerald Isle, then another to IoM, IoM to UK, over la manche....Home!
Just been doing some preliminary costings, fmob!
€380 Belfast to Douglas, €420 Douglas to Heysham. I'm only looking to rent 15m² for a couple of hours, not buy the funking boat.
For that kind of money we could go somewhere nice!
Supply and demand innit. Steam Racket Co is the only ferry company that serves the IoM - they can charge whatever they like.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Fly over instead ? Or walk on....
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ferry prices seem to have gone up loads recently - bog standard routes like Cherbourg Portsmouth have risen high enough that it's cheaper to fly and hire (and darned more convenient, quicker). I can't say I miss the floating caravan club experience much ...
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Go as foot passsengers,I'd stay well clear of the roads around the TT period,they're full of fckwits, trackday gods.& knobheads in supercars.
Good luck getting a incident free run over the mountain.
I wouldn't fly in,the other year one of our mates got the plane,all was well until it got near Ronaldsway & the airport was covered in fog so they couldn't land,meanwhile we were bathed in sunshine in Douglas.
When we go,we go as foot passengers & take pushbikes,you can ride the heritage trail from Quarter bridge to Peel,all off road :thumbup:
I go to the Classic TT/ Manx GP most years & take the bike over every time.
Typical mountain road scene this time of year...
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of- ... hut-crash/
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Probably just do the NW200.
€800 to cross the Irish sea is a joke.
Flying not an option (dog) and don't fancy foot passenger, as then we have to try and find accommodation etc.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Those prices are a bit tasty. Thanks to our residents discount, it was only 250€ from here to Cadiz on bike with huge cabin and free meals all the way
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Not sure what price the short break sailings are but I do the Classic TT/ Manx GP on a 5 day ticket, motorcycle & rider £150 return.
Have a look on the Steam Packet website to see what's available
Felix

Post by Felix »

When i last looked at DFDS Newcastle to IJmuiden and P&O from Hull to Rotterdam they were between 800 and 900 quid. Pre covid and blame the Russian tax it was around £350. I will he heading south as i can get the train or Irish Ferries to Europe for around £300. That is for two and the camperbus. BTW if looking at ferry prices and probably flights also if you keep going back to check of they went up or down always clear your cookies first. They seem to add a but onto the price every time you check the prices.
cheb

Post by cheb »

It's just over £40 for a car and driver for the ferry to here one way*. A bargain I'd say for a near 2 hour ferry crossing.

*You'll never leave. Especially if you are pure and it's been a bad harvest.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Maybe have a look at the pre-TT races - smaller circuit but it's pretty awesome :D :D

Probably cheaper to get over, not sure about getting back. Maybe
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

I'm going to the Manx this year £317 Liverpool Douglas return fare for a car and two passengers.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Re the Manx - been eff all racing, got drenched at Jurby so my speedo packed up, currently lying I'm my tent listening to the rain & tomorrows forecast is more of the same, so will pack up in the rain ready for a choppy trip to Liverpool & then 150 motorway miles on the Guzzi to get home. There are some trips you just wish you hadn't started :cry:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

You've got my sympathies...
I should be there now,but the Ferry was cancelled on Friday.TBH,due to the utter shite weather I wasn't going anyway,I managed to amend my booking & I'm going over there in a couple of weeks for a long weekend.I really enjoy the island when the sun's shining so hopefully I'll get a few good days over there.The bonus will be the no speed limit's & hopefully a few power ranger free runs over the mountain & the Sloch road :thumbup: .
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Have they changed the schedule of the classic/manx event. ? I'm sure it used to be more like the TT. First week was practice and qualifying and 2nd week was half classic followed by the manx races.

Hopefully, going for race week you'd get some decent weather. But ye...it's a lovely place in the sun and pretty bleak in the wet. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

@dodgy69 - it's been compacted, racing schedule was just Fri, sat & Monday. Saturday just saw one lap after busy watermain delayed start then first race was red flagged after one lap 😔 then racing began after 2pm on Monday, got five races in but most of them curtailed to one lap, next weekend is looking great weatherwise 🤔
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I hav ebeen to the Manx GP twicw and the TT once. Whilst it is special to ride around the mountain circuit caning the tits off what ever you have, there is the balance of expnsive accomodation, the ferry (which whilst it is better than it was, is still a long way from value for money) and ambivalent service and hospitality.
The countryside is lovely - but for the same cost you can get to the Picos, or Central Massiv, or the Alps
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:10 am
The countryside is lovely - but for the same cost you can get to the Picos, or Central Massiv, or the Alps
The ferry company isn't known as the Steam Racket for nothing,however I'm paying £150 for a return ferry & camping at Glen Lough is £12 a night,from home it's 11 miles to the L/pool ferry terminal.
The Picos were great back in 2010 on my XT600.It's a long crappy slog from here to either Pompey or Plymouth & the ferry's a lot more than £150 return :wtf:
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Speaking to some guys at the port & they got a house for 6 in Ramsey through the tourist board with ferry tickets thrown in for near enough £400pp for 6 nights - bearing in mind we paid around £320pp for ferry & 4 nights camping theirs seems like a good deal especially in this weather - having said that they arrived two days late due to ferry cancellations 🤔