Warning signs, cones, lights, etc

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Cousin Jack

Warning signs, cones, lights, etc

Post by Cousin Jack »

I am well aware this is SS, and safe is not a dirty word here, but these take the biscuit.

About 100 yards up the road a hole has been dug in the footpath Pile of spoil, also on the footpath. Bright red barriers surrounding said hole and spoil but also signs and cones in the road on each side. One sign in particular is in a very awkward position and makes cars swerve out and then back to avoid a permanent pinch point.

And today, in a nearby town I got held up by temporary traffic lights. One lane coned off to permit work on............ a footway box opened, and some new cable being drawn in, all on the footway. The only reason for the traffic lights was the bloody cones!

I am all for safety but this is bloody daft.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ian

Re: Warning signs, cones, lights, etc

Post by Ian »

It might be on the footway but workers might reasonably step into the road while they pull a cable etc. They can't do it all stood in the hole. ISTR when I was BT apprentice some guy getting his elbow smashed by a passing vehicle when he got close to the edge. Story might be apocryphal but it makes sense.

2 posts advocating safety in as many days, I'm getting worried now...