General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Buckaroo

Re: Depression

Post by Buckaroo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 12:40 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:52 am
Silly Car wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:28 pm

He was a prick, none of us, including you, ever liked him
The irony is, he's a nice lad, but has issues of his own. His dad died of cancer less than two years ago. I think he's still processing that, plus he's recently had a health diagnosis himself.

I do wonder if the recent issues the Gremlinette has had has simply proved a little too much for him.

Gremlinette is devastated as it was very unexpected and has hit her when she's feeling a bit low. Mrs. Gremlin is away this week so I've had to be the main source of hot chocolate, cuddles and sympathy.
As a product of a severely depressed father, I can understand that at his time in life it was just another hassle he didn’t need. As you say, he has things he needs to come to terms with - and probably wants to go out, have fun, travel, have a laugh etc.
As an aside, there's an important section in The Seven Habits where Covey discusses paradigms and the effect it has on how we see the world around us and how it steers our actions and responses. Not just related to your daughters ex partner, which reminded me, but something I find useful and perhaps others might too when dealing with some of the things life throws at us.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Depression

Post by Jody »

Apologies, I haven't read the thread but...

I just wanted to share with you a little trick I've recently learnt to help me stay positive.

In my phone, in the notes section, I made a page titled "good things are always happening"

Every day or two I try to add something.
This morning it was the €10 note I found while walking the dog.

2 days ago it was an unexpected "paid clean" and some beers left for me as a thank you by guests.

Every time I open the document, I am reminded of good things from a few days ago that I might otherwise have forgotten all about. Eg the 90's Fireblade sidecar outfit I saw a couple weeks ago.

This might not work for everybody, but I urge you to give it a go and see what happens

HTH