Current Affairs closed until further notice.

What can the Admins do to help, any requests for changes, updates, etc.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Current Affairs closed until further notice.

Post by weeksy »

Timmy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:33 am More free speech restrictions, just what the world needs. Don't go into that section of you don't want to read it. Seems ridiculous to shut it down. Knee jerk "it's my forum, I don't like it" type actions are only going to drive more members away, I thought there was a discussion the other day as to how to attract more. Hey ho.
Couldn't disagree more... It's not even a discussion in there, it's just a pit of abuse, insults, digs and nastiness.

Trust me, i really couldn't give a shit what people think about politics, so it's not closed because I don't like it...

It's closed because every thread goes against the forum we've built.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

For some reason I can't like that ^^^ but I do.

The world seems intent on cutting down robust debate, and now RTTL is on the same path. Let people trade insults, it is fun watching.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:58 am For some reason I can't like that ^^^ but I do.

The world seems intent on cutting down robust debate, and now RTTL is on the same path. Let people trade insults, it is fun watching.
Likes were not enabled as it was a Sticky. I've now removed it from a sticky so you/whoever can like posts.

Clearly not mine :) lol.

But anyway... it's staying closed.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Timmy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:33 am More free speech restrictions, just what the world needs. Don't go into that section of you don't want to read it. Seems ridiculous to shut it down. Knee jerk "it's my forum, I don't like it" type actions are only going to drive more members away, I thought there was a discussion the other day as to how to attract more. Hey ho.
I'm very aware that the same kind of vitriol that got the current affairs section shut down could spill over into here unless we're careful, so here's my take on the situation as a sometime transgressor.

1. People calling each other 'f****** thickos' is never a good look for any forum. Does anyone honestly think that attracts new members? If so, they would be the type of new member we can really do without.

2. If you are going to moderate a forum, then the moderation needs to be consistent, so people know where 'the line' is. I believe that moderation is consistent but certain repeat offenders don't think it applies to them. I realised I was guilty of this on occasions and had a word with myself.

3. This is (or was) primarily a motorcyclle forum. It's why I joined. I didn't join for the current affairs section, I joined to talk bikey shite with other like-minded people. The current affairs section is currently the tail wagging the (bike forum) dog. This needs to change otherwise I suspect the future of the forum is in doubt (reading between the lines on weeksy's posts). I want to see this forum live long and prosper.

4. Rule number 1 is always 'don't be a dick', or (increasingly) 'stop being a dick'. This applies universally.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The trouble with Free Speech is that the principle is great, but being responsible as the arbiter of it is not.
If it was a dinner party, and you started having a hearty discussion, and a few people either: had extreme views; had ignorant views; got upset; kept winding people up; or were simply boring about it- you'd point out how awful it was for the host and probably get up and leave. I was at a dp the other night, the subject of 'a certain political figure' came up, and the subject was changed awfully quickly, and certainly no opinions were challenged, it's too contentious - it just became a series of statements.

I'm gutted I missed the weekend's excitement btw. ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Discussing politics at a DP, I suppose it's one way to stop you finishing too soon.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:26 am Discussing politics at a DP, I suppose it's one way to stop you finishing too soon.
To be fair it was mainly drinking and taking the piss out of each other, as you would expect. But a few people wanted to get all serious and show off, so we changed tack and played a few party games that involved a bit of hand-eye coordination, and that shut the biggest bore right up.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

What we need is a points system.
When you post 5 times in the bike section, you're allowed 1 post in the politics section.

That'll keep out the folk who just come to fight ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

If the 'robust debates' stayed inside the current affairs section,there proabably wouldn't be as much of an issue,but as we have seen in TRC and even earlier,some folk can't argue a point and let it go without following their 'opponent' around other parts of the forum and taking digs. This is how the poison spreads and if left unchecked will contaminate the entire forum.It's not just as easy as saying,'if you don't like it,don't go there'.

It's not so much a restriction on free speech,it's a firewall for the rest of the forum and it's self inflicted.
Last edited by Skub on Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:21 am There are very few places where you can exchange views with "real" people online.
And thanks to you and a few others, this is no longer one of them.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:20 am If the 'robust debates' stayed inside the current affairs section
If they stayed as robust debates then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But they're not staying as debates.

They start as a debate then move to statements then to insults. Once we reach that point all the debating is done and it's just 2 spoilt brats shouting at eachother and crying.

Sadly, i doubt the people think it's their fault... i'm pretty sure they don't in honesty.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:22 am and a few people either: had extreme views; had ignorant views; got upset; kept winding people up; or were simply boring about it-
You'd show them the door and make sure they lost your number
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I don't think penalties for repeat offenders are enough of a deterrent, they have a 7 day break which means they can focus on other things rather than mingmong pingpong then come back to get stuck in again. I think repeat offenders should lose all access to the specific forum section.

Timeouts need to be longer to be a deterrent and lose read privileges.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:24 am
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:21 am There are very few places where you can exchange views with "real" people online.
And thanks to you and a few others, this is no longer one of them.
That is simply not true. The actual transgressors cannot hold a civil conversation and resort to personal insults when they lose the argument.

Yes I respond in kind but I do not instigate the personal insults you are blaming for your decision to censor any debate.

If on the other hand you don't want people to argue at all over politics/religion/climate change then I suggest you're on a hiding to nothing.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Sorry Screwd you've got your blinkers on - you've been sinbinned numerous times for insults, and it probably should have been more 'according to the rules'. Responding in kind is not an excuse. And 'conspiracy theorist' isn't an insult by the way.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:46 pm Sorry Screwd you've got your blinkers on - you've been sinbinned numerous times for insults, and it probably should have been more 'according to the rules'. Responding in kind is not an excuse. And 'conspiracy theorist' isn't an insult by the way.
Apology accepted. Again.

I get pushed too far with incessant personal insults, straw man arguments, ad hominems and your personal favourite 'CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!"

It is an insult. It is an insult to my intelligence and almost entirely without merit. I am not going to list the vast number of times I have been proven correct over all these years because that in itself is now worthy of a ban. Suffice to say I can demonstrate in virtually every single instance examples of where my stated opinion (before it proved to be factually correct) is dismissed as that of "conspiracy theorist, nut job, screw loose" before suddenly after the truth emerges, I am vindicated and everybody is all "Oh yeah, we knew that!"

Especially you as it happens...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Nope, it's not an insult no matter how much you want it to be, use it as much as you like. I'd prefer to see a list of those opinions that have been proven to be wrong, as that is by easier by multiple factors, but I doubt any of us have the time, again.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Theres something wrong with you Screwdriver, I see it and so does everyone else on here.
Your engineering/shed/3d printing posts were great and interesting to most but now you have changed and not for the better.

Don't take this as a dig, it isn't, it's just a heads up.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I think everybody needs to remember that the people most versed in a given discussion are not there because they are open to having their mind changed. They are only there to change YOUR mind.......
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Jody wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:32 pm I think everybody needs to remember that the people most versed in a given discussion are not there because they are open to having their mind changed. They are only there to change YOUR mind.......
I think this is true enough.
But what do we mean by well versed? There's plenty of examples on here of folk with genuine expertise being shouted down on here by the "what if?" crowd. The age of being qualified has long since been surpassed by those who just know better and give all sorts of spurious reasons why their opinion is as valid as proven facts.