Olympics, who's watching ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Timmy

Re: Olympics, who's watching ?

Post by Timmy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:07 am How do you know? Serious question.
Apparently, he had a gender stroke sex test and had XY chromosomes. The IOC run different rules to the boxing federations and have allowed the person to compete.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:54 am
Yorick wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:06 am Today I saw a bloke beating the shit out of a woman.

Normally he'd get prison.

This time he'll get a gold medal.
Don't be such a prick. If you want to get involved in transgender type discussions at least do it with a little bit of intelligence.
My reply was partly tongue in cheek after being appalled after watching the video.

It's not quite a transgender issue as we can't find out if the boxer has changed sex. More of an anomaly of nature..

Sport should be a level playing field and most sports have banned non naturally female athletes.

Algerian Imane Khelif was one of 2 boxers banned last year,'
Last year both fighters were disqualified from the world championships, with the International Boxing Association (IBA) president, Umar Kremlev, saying that DNA tests had “proved they had XY chromosomes and were thus excluded”. XY is the combination of chromosomes in males, while XX is the combination in females.
This boxer has a huge physical and strength advantage over the naturally female boxers. It's cruel and unfair to the other athletes.

I bet this won't happen at the next Olympics. Remember the NZ female weightlifter?

He's banned now

So unfair :(
The Italian boxer Angela Carini broke down in tears after she abandoned her bout against the Algerian Imane Khelif after 46 seconds in a fight that sparked huge controversy at the Olympics.

Khelif is one of two boxers permitted to fight at the Olympics despite being disqualified from the women’s world championships last year for failing gender eligibility tests.

In highly charged scenes at the North Paris Arena, a first punch from Khelif dislodged Carini’s chinstrap and a second smashed against her chin and bloodied her shorts. After multiple punches Carini returned to her corner and raised her hand. She fell to her knees sobbing and refused to shake Khelif’s hand after the Algerian was declared the winner.

Carini said she had pulled out after being hit harder than she had ever been hit and feared her nose was broken. “I am heartbroken,” Carini said. “I went to the ring to honour my father. I was told a lot of times that I was a warrior but I preferred to stop for my health. I have never felt a punch like this.”

The 25-year-old, from Naples, added: “I got into the ring to fight. I didn’t give up, but one punch hurt too much and so I said enough. I’m going out with my head held high.

“After the second punch, after years of experience, I felt a strong pain in the nose. I said enough, because I didn’t want. I couldn’t finish the fight after the punch to the nose. So it was better to put an end to it.
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:09 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:58 am
screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:54 am Don't be such a prick. If you want to get involved in transgender type discussions at least do it with a little bit of intelligence.
Weeksy gets a 7 day holiday for this post...You know the rules by now guys.
Lol yeah sure. It's my park, my ball, I can play by slightly different rules

Especially when telling someone off.

Same slightly different rules as that boxer 😂

Loving the golf, gonna be a good weekend.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:59 am You'll be pleased to know that FIDE, the international chess organisation, has banned trans players and has even stripped past winners of their titles.

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/18/11945935 ... s%20status.

Makes sense. Lifting those pieces from one square to another is very demanding in a physical sense, and those poor little women's feeble brains wouldn't be able to cope with the concept... :wtf:

An outbreak of common sense the IOC might want to keep an eye on. ;)
Women don't want to play, there are far fewer women players than male. Statistically any measurement of a large population will exhibit a gaussian distribution and we only celebrate the very last few in that group. It does not take much to skew the results if you sub select and one sub group is larger than another.

The outliers on a gaussian distribution are vanishingly rare and if we are only interested in the top few from a population of millions (of chess players), there are inevitably more from the larger group (of men).
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Timmy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:22 am Apparently, he had a gender stroke sex test and had XY chromosomes. The IOC run different rules to the boxing federations and have allowed the person to compete.
I have heard that rumour but not seen any evidence for it. Dunno how many people here are engaging in the cyberwarfare battleground formerly known as Twitter. Try and pick some shred of truth form that maelstrom of opinion.

What evidence have you seen?
Plato
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:45 am
gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:59 am You'll be pleased to know that FIDE, the international chess organisation, has banned trans players and has even stripped past winners of their titles.

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/18/11945935 ... s%20status.

Makes sense. Lifting those pieces from one square to another is very demanding in a physical sense, and those poor little women's feeble brains wouldn't be able to cope with the concept... :wtf:

An outbreak of common sense the IOC might want to keep an eye on. ;)
Women don't want to play, there are far fewer women players than male. Statistically any measurement of a large population will exhibit a gaussian distribution and we only celebrate the very last few in that group. It does not take much to skew the results if you sub select and one sub group is larger than another.

The outliers on a gaussian distribution are vanishingly rare and if we are only interested in the top few from a population of millions (of chess players), there are inevitably more from the larger group (of men).
True enough, but gusset distribution works the same in terms of chess players from differing nations. Hence why Russia and the US chuck up a lot of champions and Gibraltar doesn't. Bigger pool, innit. Do we then create a different class for smaller nations?

End of the day, chess is a cerebral contest and the field, as I see it, is level enough. Hence why you regularly get 12 year-olds becoming Grand Masters. I doubt even J.K. Rowling could be arsed to post on Twitter as far as mixed chess matches go.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:07 am
Self defence yes. Skills based combat sports yes. Attempting to deliberately hurt women with overt physical violence in full-contact boxing/MMA, no.

Who do they think they are? Men?

You realise you're just another bloke telling women what they should and shouldn't do.

If women want to go into combat sports they have every right to do so. However, if there needs to be a controlling body for those sports then it shouldn't allow men to compete agaInst women. It is grossly unfair.

Just as you are being unfair by saying they shouldn't be allowed to compete in those sports. You're a misogynist.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:48 am
Timmy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:22 am Apparently, he had a gender stroke sex test and had XY chromosomes. The IOC run different rules to the boxing federations and have allowed the person to compete.
I have heard that rumour but not seen any evidence for it. Dunno how many people here are engaging in the cyberwarfare battleground formerly known as Twitter. Try and pick some shred of truth form that maelstrom of opinion.

Seems to be being reported in the mainstream news:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... ane-khelif
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:48 am

We are unsure what exactly is going on because people who do know for sure why that bloke is in women’s events are keeping quiet or lying.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:57 am Seems to be being reported in the mainstream news:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... ane-khelif
Within that link it does say that last year the IBA claimed to have conducted a blood test which proved the contestants had XY chromosomes. This was shortly after one of them beat a Russian competitor etc.

Later in the same article you link to:

In a statement this week, the IBA said the women did not “undergo a testosterone examination” but “a separate and recognized test.” The statement added that the test and results are “confidential.”

My bold. Hence my previous comment about the claims regarding test results being somewhat ambiguous. My guess, opinion if you like, is that the IBA were challenged to provide evidence for such test results. Did not do so, were unable to do so or provided unsubstantiated/unscientific procedurally flawed results and have changed their statement to the above.

Like I said though, I don't find the idea of women fighting that appealing in the first place. They might get hurt...
Plato
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

One thing to bear in mind, she's not unbeaten. IIRC, she's lost 9 fights, presumably to other female boxers...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:14 pm other female boxers...
Other than who?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:39 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:14 pm other female boxers...
Other than who?
Males tucking their willies betwixt their legs and calling themselves Gloria the Grantham Grinder in the ring. HTH.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Is it just me who finds the photos of medal winners 'biting' their medals a bit cliched and cringey?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:32 pm Is it just me who finds the photos of medal winners 'biting' their medals a bit cliched and cringey?
grumpy-old-git-award-quirky-funny-birthday-card__80666.jpg
grumpy-old-git-award-quirky-funny-birthday-card__80666.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 269 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Can I be pictured biting that badge please? :banana-dance:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:42 pm Can I be pictured biting that badge please? :banana-dance:
You've no teef
download-2.jpeg
download-2.jpeg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 250 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:46 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:42 pm Can I be pictured biting that badge please? :banana-dance:
You've no teef

download-2.jpeg
Not since getting in the ring with that Algerian boxer lady... :crazy:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So tomorrow is the big Cycling Road Race. Pretty much the best of the best.

Mathieu van der Poel is favourite at 11/4 with the 2 Belgians next Remco Evenepoel, and Wout van Aert at 11/2 and 6/1.

I could see the Belgians doing it with team-work but they're going to have to agree between themselves which of them gets the chance to attack and when.

It's a uppy downy course and lots of hard kickers in it.

I'm going with van der Poel personally and i think by minutes rather than seconds.

Mathieu van der Poel (NED) to Win by 30 Seconds or More @ 7/1 i think is a decent bet IMO.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Timmy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:22 am he had a gender stroke sex test.
Glad that’s not my job.