Post by Taipan »

No surprise there...

MyLittleStudPony

Re: In todays news...

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:13 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:08 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:02 pm
And when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine they fire up the old reliables: coal and gas. If they were serious about net zero they'd be going all in on nuclear.
Well...previously your objection was "they'd have to cover the entire UK in wind turbines to generate enough power", so you're coming around :thumbup:
Cover the country with wind turbines and batteries. Don't forget the batteries. You can't just turn a wind turbine on when you need a bit more power so if you're relying on wind and solar you have to have batteries. And enough battery storage to see us through a prolonged calm period. That's going to be expensive (if the world can even produce enough batteries). Then you'll need lots of landfill for the worn out turbines which have an expected lifespan of about 30 years and can't be recycled.

My objection to wind and solar is summed up in the question: How much free energy can we afford to collect?
I'd be amazed if wind turbines can't be largely recycled. And I'd also be amazed that if they couldn't, they would be disposed of to landfill.

IIRC the CCGT power station not far from me has a 30 year lifespan and will probably be more challenging to recycle than wind turbines.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:39 pm I'd be amazed if wind turbines can't be largely recycled. And I'd also be amazed that if they couldn't, they would be disposed of to landfill.

IIRC the CCGT power station not far from me has a 30 year lifespan and will probably be more challenging to recycle than wind turbines.
A quick Google (using DuckDuckGo, of course) took me to Can wind turbine blades be recycled? which has conflicting information:
"What are wind turbine blades made of?
"Around 96% of a wind turbine is made from recyclable materials..."
"The blades are made from different materials, most of which is fibreglass..."

"Are the blades disposed of or reused?
"Fibreglass is not totally recyclable. It’s non-biodegradable and made up of a composite of very fine strands of plastic and glass, which is extremely difficult to process at the point of recycling. Instead, it’s usually discarded as waste at landfills or incinerated."

So it's mostly the blades that go to landfill, so that's all right then. :roll:
MyLittleStudPony

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:38 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:39 pm I'd be amazed if wind turbines can't be largely recycled. And I'd also be amazed that if they couldn't, they would be disposed of to landfill.

A quick Google (using DuckDuckGo, of course) took me to Can wind turbine blades be recycled? which has conflicting information:
"What are wind turbine blades made of?
"Around 96% of a wind turbine is made from recyclable materials..."
"The blades are made from different materials, most of which is fibreglass..."

"Are the blades disposed of or reused?
"Fibreglass is not totally recyclable. It’s non-biodegradable and made up of a composite of very fine strands of plastic and glass, which is extremely difficult to process at the point of recycling. Instead, it’s usually discarded as waste at landfills or incinerated."

So it's mostly the blades that go to landfill, so that's all right then. :roll:
96% is recyclable. I'm not sure how much of a nuclear or gas power station is recyclable but it wouldn't surprise me if it were less.

The blades can go to incineration, which is often a term used to describe modern thermal energy recovery facilities; which are not a terrible option for residual waste.

If the blades are landfilled, I suspect they're not biodegradable, which IMO would make landfilling them not a terrible option.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I bet the 96% is by mass rather than volume, it makes for a nicer headline by a company that wants to encourage them. I could be wrong.
irie

Post by irie »

"Angela Rayner has announced an overhaul of the planning system to allow for 1.5 million new homes over the next five years to tackle England’s housing crisis."

Building 1.5 million new houses over the next five years may just about keep pace with annual net immigration of ~600,000 which will increase population by ~3 million over the next five years.

Won't happen, of course. Lack of immigration control will worsen housing shortages particularly in cities which will exacerbate outbreaks of violence and crime.

Ain't gonna be pretty.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

They are already building houses as quick as they can, not enough brickies and materials to build faster, been that way for a good while. She's talking shite, like all the others. 🥱
Yamaha rocket 3
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:53 pm I'm not sure how much of a nuclear or gas power station is recyclable but it wouldn't surprise me if it were less.
Nuclear ones certainly are unbelievably costly to decommission. My older brother has spent the best part of his career at a single site on a decomm project.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:55 am
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:53 pm I'm not sure how much of a nuclear or gas power station is recyclable but it wouldn't surprise me if it were less.
Nuclear ones certainly are unbelievably costly to decommission. My older brother has spent the best part of his career at a single site on a decomm project.
Modern nuclear power stations are built and run with consideration given to “end of life.”

Not saying it isn’t still an issue, but there shouldn’t be so many nasty surprises!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:17 am Modern nuclear power stations are built and run with consideration given to “end of life.”
Have any of the modern(ish) plants which give such consideration actually got to end of life yet? :D

It was the same when I worked on Subs, but all the while the old boats are just rusting away in Devonport and their spent fuel is in a pond in Cumbria waiting for someone to figure out what to do with it :lol:

I'm actually a big fan of Nuclear in many ways, but Jesus H Christ is it an expensive ball ache!
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:37 pm No surprise there...

No surprise with the disinformation campaign to pin the murders on a fictitious muslim illegal migrant. Personally I think all these right wing agitators on social media should be charged with inciting a riot.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

JamJar wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:54 am

No surprise with the disinformation campaign to pin the murders on a fictitious muslim illegal migrant. Personally I think all these right wing agitators on social media should be charged with inciting a riot.
You're misinformed. It kicked off last night as a man armed with a knife approached the vigil. Do you feel the same about left wing agitators? And what's fictitious about him? The Police have identified him as a Rwandan male who moved to Wales with his parents when he was one. Have the police got that wrong then? Do you know more than them?

JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:07 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:54 am

You're misinformed. It kicked off last night as a man armed with a knife approached the vigil. Do you feel the same about left wing agitators? And what's fictitious about him? The Police have identified him as a Rwandan male who moved to Wales with his parents when he was one. Have the police got that wrong then? Do you know more than them?

You're misinformed, according to the police it was EDL supporters that attacked the mosque and it was doubtful that they were locals.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

JamJar wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:31 pm]You're misinformed, according to the police it was EDL supporters that attacked the mosque and it was doubtful that they were locals.
All I can see is that politicians claimed that, like the Southend riot last night the police don't seem to have accused any group.
BBC wrote:Rioters were from out of town, says police chief
published at 08:53
08:53
Our colleagues on Radio 5 Live earlier spoke to the Merseyside Police and Crime Commissioner, Emily Spurrell.

She says the rioters were from "out of town" - something local MP Patrick Hurley also said earlier.

"These individuals came into Southport, did not reflect the local population, and used the incident to incite violence and hatred, and it’s absolutely not something the people of Southport want or the families want," she says.

She adds: "My understanding from local people on the ground is that these were not local residents, these were individuals that came from out of town who had been stirred up online by the likes of the EDL [English Defence League], just looking for a fight."
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Made me laugh

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whatever your take on the goings on in Southport, this is inarguably very funny. Concussion, no bollocks and nicked tomorrow for rioting. Silly old twat.🤣 <a href="https://t.co/q9WPnAnqn0">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Tom Latchem (@TomLatchem) <a href=" 30, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

It's bad form to laugh at another's misfortune, but... :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Nahhh fucking idiots need a dose of truncheon meat to the cranium.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Gratuitous reporting at it's finest.
I have very little time for Price and surprised how little punishment she's had for repeated drink driving but how is this in the public interest?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cne4k0w1m1ko
BBC wrote:Warrant issued for Katie Price's arrest
She missed a court hearing over her bankruptsy for unpaid tax, whoop-de-do.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

In October last year, Ms Price said she was “fed up” with being threatened with legal action
Not sure sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALA works for anyone other than Donald Trump love ;)
MyLittleStudPony

I've thought about being a Pumpkin Kicker or a Geocash Stealler. But never a Tube Pusher.

"Tube Pusher found guilty of attempted murder."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnl0419eykjo