Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/202 ... -09-naked/

Yamaha have now confirmed that the first bike to use their incoming Y-AMT semi-automatic gear shifting system will be the three-cylinder MT-09 naked.

The Japanese brand announced the introduction of their Yamaha Automated Manual Transmission in late June, and have today confirmed it will be equipped to their popular 890cc, CP3 triple motor.

Weighing just 2.8kg, the system is said to be focussed on performance riding, rather than practicality – hence why they’ve chosen a punchy 117bhp street bike to showcase the platform. That motor is also used in the Tracer 9 family, Niken, XSR900, and XSR900GP – with rumours of an R9 supersport bike also circulating online

Y-AMT removes the need to use your left foot for changing gear and instead relies on buttons on the switchgear. Yamaha themselves say it’s faster and more efficient than using a quickshifter and allows the rider to focus more of their time on braking and body position when riding at pace.

It works by using two electronic actuators, which take care of the left hand clutch application and left foot gear shifting duties for you – meaning no need for either control. Yamaha also say it makes the bike no wider between your legs, when installed.

Y-AMT works in conjunction with the ride by wire throttle, allowing for the integration of riding modes and cruise control – with options for both manual and automatic riding installed

There won’t be any clutch lever to pull on, but the manual mode will see gears controlled by + and – paddles on the left switchgear bank. Yamaha say these have been designed so that the rider doesn’t have to move their thumb from the bars – aiding control of the motorcycle.

Automatic options consist of ‘D’ and ‘D+’ with the latter of the two being the sportiest. D mode is said to offer a softer shift feel, with gear changes dealt with at lower engine revs.

Yamaha’s MT-09 was updated ahead of the 2024 riding season with a more aggressive riding position and geometry to make it more engaging to ride. There was also a mild face lift and updated electronic rider aids, as well as the inclusion of traction control.

The idea of semi-automatic gearboxes has featured heavily in the news recently, with BMW launching an Automated Shift Assistant for their R1300 boxer twin range, and Ducati’s Head of Research and Development at Ducati, Vincenzo De Silvio recently telling MCN that these kinds of systems are simply the latest natural evolution of the motorcycle gearbox.

“I think it’s normal that the evolution of transmission will be in that direction,” he said. “People are also used to cars and in cars it’s normal. I don’t think it’s something which is reducing sportiness because super hypersport cars have all different kinds of AMT, dual clutches and so on, which is normal these days, and so this will apply also for bikes.”
Count Steer

Re: Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Post by Count Steer »

'Weighing just 2.8kg, the system is said to be focussed on performance riding, rather than practicality...'

Interesting comment. You'd think it was just the job for big, but reasonably powerful tourers type of thing too*. Maybe it's a tad 'aggressive' on the changes? (ie clunky :D ).

*Big, slow ones may as well be fully-auto.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ChrisW

Re: Yamaha confirm sporty three-cylinder MT-09 as first bike to use new Y-AMT semi-automatic system

Post by ChrisW »

I'll happily withhold judgement until I've tried one but I must say it really doesn't appeal to me on paper. I actually like using the clutch & gear lever, in cars as well as on bikes.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:07 pm I'll happily withhold judgement until I've tried one but I must say it really doesn't appeal to me on paper. I actually like using the clutch & gear lever, in cars as well as on bikes.
Like wise. To me it falls into the category of 'thanks, but you needn't have bothered'. Start focussing on making existing bikes lighter and I'm all for it. Semi-auto clutch/gearboxes? Nah mate.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:23 pm Start focussing on making existing bikes lighter
I replaced two frame covers last week or so - they were anodised black & had worn a little on the ridges. I noticed that later versions of the bike had them in plastic so I bought a pair. 600g saving in central bike mass!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

A big nope from me, having had Hondas DCT it’s amusing on a test ride but after that the novelty wears off. I like to ride my bike and changing gear is part of that. Yes it had a manual mode with both a gear lever and switches on the bars but it never felt right, the gear lever was a switch without the feel of a proper gearbox. In auto mode as it can’t read the road it’s regularly in the wrong gear. Also can’t clutch it up onto one wheel 🤣
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Was out riding the xsr a while back, and a guy who'd been following me said 'i didn't know those early bikes came with an auto blipper' :roll:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Winner for me. Might be a replacement for the x-adv should i ever decide to go that route!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

No thanks, I'd rather keep the left foot employed.
Yamaha rocket 3
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

This could be of great interest to a friend of mine who had his left leg amputated at the knee after a bike accident...

Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The idea of riding modes might sound good on paper but in practice I hate it. My car always defaults to eco mode and there are combinations of buttons to adjust traction control, throttle response and suspension but whenever I want to make a quick overtake I don't want to fiddle with buttons and paddles first.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:58 pm This could be of great interest to a friend of mine who had his left leg amputated at the knee after a bike accident...

Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
Because it's a fucking stupid idea, early Kawasakis have neutral at the bottom of the gearbox and it's very easy to end up in neutral rather than first.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mussels wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:12 pm The idea of riding modes might sound good on paper but in practice I hate it. My car always defaults to eco mode and there are combinations of buttons to adjust traction control, throttle response and suspension but whenever I want to make a quick overtake I don't want to fiddle with buttons and paddles first.
Riding modes are great, I've had two bikes with them, both have been good, my Honda is especially good, it can go from smooth friendly spaniel to mad blood thirsty rottweiler at the press of a button
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:33 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:58 pm Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
Because it's a fucking stupid idea, early Kawasakis have neutral at the bottom of the gearbox and it's very easy to end up in neutral rather than first.
But how often do you need to change down to first? Most of the time it's just for pulling away. You might need it for a particularly tight hairpin bend, but not much else. Contrast that with sitting at the traffic lights going up and down between first and second trying to find an elusive neutral...
Le_Fromage_Grande

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:07 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:33 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:58 pm Also - why can't we all have gearboxes with neutral at the 'bottom'?
But how often do you need to change down to first? Most of the time it's just for pulling away. You might need it for a particularly tight hairpin bend, but not much else. Contrast that with sitting at the traffic lights going up and down between first and second trying to find an elusive neutral...
Kawasaki Z900s can only go into neutral from first when the bike is stationary, so that's a non problem easily solved, Kawasaki did this on the Z900 to stop the exact "problem" you describe after changing from the neutral at bottom gearbox.

I have to say it's not a problem I've ever had.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

So what benefit does having neutral between first and second actually give, if you can make a gearbox that can only select neutral when stationary? I'd be very happy to have an easily selected neutral at the 'bottom' of a sequential gearbox.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Ain't it a safety thing, so if you just bang down the box you should still be in a gear. Also, maybe it's the easiest gear to find from neutral if a quick getaway is required. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Watched the 44teeth review earlier - I'm still not convinced but looking forward to having a go one at the same time. I fully understand the positive implications for people who were otherwise unable to ride a bike now being able to but I just don't like semi auto boxes.

On a related note - I'm, occasionally, driving a Jag E-Pace with flappy paddles at the moment. They're terrible but I did discover that it has 9 gears. 9!
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:23 pm A big nope from me, having had Hondas DCT it’s amusing on a test ride but after that the novelty wears off. I like to ride my bike and changing gear is part of that. Yes it had a manual mode with both a gear lever and switches on the bars but it never felt right, the gear lever was a switch without the feel of a proper gearbox. In auto mode as it can’t read the road it’s regularly in the wrong gear. Also can’t clutch it up onto one wheel 🤣
I had the NC750 DCT on test. Hated it from the start, gave it back after about 10 minutes.

We had an Aprilia Mana on test at work a few years back. Foot change that felt like a normal foot change and thumb switch. It was good fun, with no need to ride in auto mode, so never really saw tye point. Plus it was ugly as sin.

Auto boxes belong on scooters and cars