Superstitions can kill you

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
slowsider

Re: Superstitions can kill you

Post by slowsider »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm Did your horn not work? 8-)
Depends how you use it... it can be extremely useful if something appears when it's already too late to stop... but if it's used as an "I'm coming through anyway" measure, it's going to be a bit tough if you discover the tractor driver is wearing ear defenders.

I'd back right off, ready to stop... and then go through slowly if the tractor stayed put. That way, you don't rely on the horn doing what you hope it might do.
I thought the purpose of the horn was to let others know you are there. I'd do exactly as you, with the addition of making the tractor driver potentially aware of my presence. Tractors are not unexpected in the countryside.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 pm Because you acknowledged their superiority and authority, and got out of their way? ;)
I think i still have some of the hedge I dived into.
non quod, sed quomodo
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

slowsider wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm
I thought the purpose of the horn was to let others know you are there. I'd do exactly as you, with the addition of making the tractor driver potentially aware of my presence. Tractors are not unexpected in the countryside.
[/quote]

If you'd had time to toot your horn, you weren't in the same place as me. I had time to swerve, hard, that's all. I suppose I could have tooted after it was over, so I could tell the ins co, but.....

A bit like re-telling a joke - you had to be there.

The unexpected bit wasn't the tractor but the reversing when I was almost behind it.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Wossname wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm Trouble was, I was already in/on the edge of the "killing zone" when the trailer started coming back - I only just had time to do the swerve. More time, yes - horn, or brake hard, but this was one of those occasions, which happen, when avoiding by a rapid change of direction has the best outcome. Using the horn still leaves the solution in the other driver's hands, and you can't rely on that.
In that case, the horn makes sense...
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Wossname wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm
If you'd had time to toot your horn, you weren't in the same place as me. I had time to swerve, hard, that's all. I suppose I could have tooted after it was over, so I could tell the ins co, but.....

A bit like re-telling a joke - you had to be there.

The unexpected bit wasn't the tractor but the reversing when I was almost behind it.
[/quote]

Toot when you see the trailer so close to your line that if it moved you would have to swerve. Same as you would before a blind bend on a single lane road. Both times the driver can't see you but he could hear you.
If it turns out to be unnecessary it hasn't cost you anything.
Horse

Post by Horse »

If you're far enough away (ie for the sequence I listed earlier) then I doubt whether a tractor driver would hear an average bike horn.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Wossname wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm Trouble was, I was already in/on the edge of the "killing zone" when the trailer started coming back - I only just had time to do the swerve. More time, yes - horn, or brake hard, but this was one of those occasions, which happen, when avoiding by a rapid change of direction has the best outcome. Using the horn still leaves the solution in the other driver's hands, and you can't rely on that.
Lines-of-sight...

Can you see the tractor driver?

Can the tractor driver see YOU?
Horse

Post by Horse »

By the description of the scene, it was probably unlikely that the driver could see anything helpful.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 pm If you're far enough away (ie for the sequence I listed earlier) then I doubt whether a tractor driver would hear an average bike horn.
I was once sneered at by someone not too far from this thread for sitting twin Fiamms to my Triumph Tiger........
Horse

Post by Horse »

iansoady wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 pm If you're far enough away (ie for the sequence I listed earlier) then I doubt whether a tractor driver would hear an average bike horn.
I was once sneered at by someone not too far from this thread for sitting twin Fiamms to my Triumph Tiger........
Well, it wouldn't have been me :)

It was a sign of cost-cutting when BMW went from the twin horns to a pathetic single horn vaguely reminiscent of 'meep meep' Roadrunner:)
The Spin Doctor

slowsider wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm I thought the purpose of the horn was to let others know you are there. I'd do exactly as you, with the addition of making the tractor driver potentially aware of my presence. Tractors are not unexpected in the countryside.
I'm sure you've seen it used in alternative ways.
The Spin Doctor

iansoady wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm
Oi, I resemble that remark...

I recall several people explaining how their 130dB horns would be more effective.

I disagreed...

But I don't think I sneered... I merely made the point that if you let off Mack truck air horn in someone's ear, they'll be looking for the Mack truck and not the bike... if they're still capable of looking after you've just scared the bejasus out of them.

Loud enough to be heard, yes... ear-splitting, no.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm I thought the purpose of the horn was to let others know you are there. I'd do exactly as you, with the addition of making the tractor driver potentially aware of my presence. Tractors are not unexpected in the countryside.
I'm sure you've seen it used in alternative ways.
Well, that's a BEEEEEPing stupid thing to say ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mack truck?

Brakes on my CX, when lightly applied, squealed just like the local double decker buses.

Oh what fun, arriving alongside a mate stopped at a downhill give way line. Even from the back I could sense the terror and fear :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm Loud enough to be heard, yes... ear-splitting, no.
One of the US mags did a comparison, with recording gear inside a car.

IIRC twin horns were better for the spread of sound frequency, not just the volume.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:28 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm Loud enough to be heard, yes... ear-splitting, no.

IIRC twin horns were better for the spread of sound frequency, not just the volume.
Dunno... but I don't think people buy something like the Denali 'SoundBomb' or the 'Screaming Banshee' for the subtlety of their tones.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:25 pm By the description of the scene, it was probably unlikely that the driver could see anything helpful.
For the full set, lets imagine he is mute as well. At least he should be a wizard at Pinball.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:28 pm

Dunno... but I don't think people buy something like the Denali 'SoundBomb' or the 'Screaming Banshee' for the subtlety of their tones.

non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Rockburner wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm[CARTOONS]

Excellent :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:14 pm
I had someone challenge me, a sort of 'Go on, say something that will make me slow down!'

I asked him whether he'd ever seen a tractor will one of those 'set of spikes' attachments?
I find "stop riding like a twat or i wont be signing you off" works fairly well although most rides it getting the students up to a reasonable safe speed that is the bigger problem :thumbup: