In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yorick »

This guy breaks it down bit by bit without taking sides. You see much more in slow motion.

MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:39 pm This protest failed miserably and I bet a few got biffed by suitcases and knees. Oops, sorry :D

https://news.sky.com/video/protesters-d ... t-13186755
I don't know if I'd say failed. It got significant national news coverage, boosting publicity for their cause to reduce harmful emissions.

I try and fly less these days, and shorter distances if possible, to try and reduce the impact.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:33 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:39 pm This protest failed miserably and I bet a few got biffed by suitcases and knees. Oops, sorry :D

https://news.sky.com/video/protesters-d ... t-13186755
I don't know if I'd say failed. It got significant national news coverage, boosting publicity for their cause to reduce harmful emissions.

I try and fly less these days, and shorter distances if possible, to try and reduce the impact.
They looked pathetic as folk just barged past them :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

Olympics commentator axed over sexist remark

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

Ballard has yet to comment publicly on his remarks.

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just beaten the US and China, to make it the fourth Olympics in a row where the Australia has claimed the gold medal in the event.

They were waving to crowds and celebrating the achievement when Mr Ballard made his comments.

His co-commentator and British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds had immediately branded his remark "outrageous", prompting laughter from Ballard.

On Sunday, Eurosport said Ballard - previously a long-time BBC reporter and presenter - would not return to their air waves.

"During a segment of Eurosport’s coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment," the broadcaster said in a statement.

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard has been a stalwart of global sports coverage since the 1980s, reporting on multiple Olympic games and World Championships.

He has commentated an array of sports including water polo, ice hockey and wheelchair tennis, but is best known for his coverage of swimming and diving.

Swimming Australia has been approached for comment.

Not at you weeksy, just quoted for context.

How about pundits come up with new jokes? I've got slightly compromised hearing and the number of people, complete strangers included, who think that the 'Pardon' routine is funny still rankles. Sometimes it's just not funny, other times it grates badly, that depends on the joker and the circumstances.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Careful out there, it's that dangerous summer thing again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1vd1d9r1wxo
BBC wrote:Yellow heat health warnings have been issued across much of England with forecasts saying temperatures may climb to as high as 32C (90F) on Tuesday.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:31 pm Careful out there, it's that dangerous summer thing again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1vd1d9r1wxo
BBC wrote:Yellow heat health warnings have been issued across much of England with forecasts saying temperatures may climb to as high as 32C (90F) on Tuesday.
Orange warning here for 41c for the next two days.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:33 pm I don't know if I'd say failed. It got significant national news coverage, boosting publicity for their cause to reduce harmful emissions.
Boosting national hatred for the fucking wankers.
Do I need to tell you exactly how impressive that is?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just beaten the US and China, to make it the fourth Olympics in a row where the Australia has claimed the gold medal in the event.

They were waving to crowds and celebrating the achievement when Mr Ballard made his comments.

His co-commentator and British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds had immediately branded his remark "outrageous", prompting laughter from Ballard.

On Sunday, Eurosport said Ballard - previously a long-time BBC reporter and presenter - would not return to their air waves.

"During a segment of Eurosport’s coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment," the broadcaster said in a statement.

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard has been a stalwart of global sports coverage since the 1980s, reporting on multiple Olympic games and World Championships.

He has commentated an array of sports including water polo, ice hockey and wheelchair tennis, but is best known for his coverage of swimming and diving.

What’s your opinion on it?

He belittled those Olympic swimming contestants in a mass broadcast. That’s not exactly doing his job well, is it?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Labour finding ways to try and hang onto their slim majorities.
Reeves defends move to scrap winter fuel payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51y5pgkylqo
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

It was predictable that things would turn out to be “worse than they thought” and now they have to tax and cut.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:16 am Labour finding ways to try and hang onto their slim majorities.
It’s not a good stealth move.

I for one, will notice an immediate £500 drop in income.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:39 am

He belittled those Olympic swimming contestants in a mass broadcast. That’s not exactly doing his job well, is it?
I find it funny. Mainly because, like most blokes i know, I get ready a hell of a lot quicker than my wife for the reasons the commentator mentions. So its just observational comedy, which used to be popular and people like Billy Connolly built a career out of it, but now it seems to have been outlawed by wokeism! :roll:

Years ago we had a Yank, sorry American, come and work with us. First time in the UK and he was a tad confused by (many) things. We had a Glaswegian and two welsh guys and a about 4 English in the office. The American asked us one day, so if the Scottish are called Jocks and the Welsh Taffs, what are the English called? Glaswegian pipes up, there are so many of the cunts we split them into regional groups, Cockney cunts, Scouser cunts Geordie cunts etc. :D Use those terms and language today and it'd be classed as hate speech here and would be a disciplinable offence. :crazy: It does seem that we have lost the ability, or now denied the right, to laugh at ourselves anymore.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

30 years of cotton wool. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:35 am
JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:39 am

I find it funny. Mainly because, like most blokes i know, I get ready a hell of a lot quicker than my wife for the reasons the commentator mentions. So its just observational comedy, which used to be popular and people like Billy Connolly built a career out of it, but now it seems to have been outlawed by wokeism! :roll:

Years ago we had a Yank, sorry American, come and work with us. First time in the UK and he was a tad confused by (many) things. We had a Glaswegian and two welsh guys and a about 4 English in the office. The American asked us one day, so if the Scottish are called Jocks and the Welsh Taffs, what are the English called? Glaswegian pipes up, there are so many of the cunts we split them into regional groups, Cockney cunts, Scouser cunts Geordie cunts etc. :D Use those terms and language today and it'd be classed as hate speech here and would be a disciplinable offence. :crazy: It does seem that we have lost the ability, or now denied the right, to laugh at ourselves anymore.
Laughing at himself is the opposite of what he did.

Crass jokes are great at comedy shows, at the pub and with your mates. It’s better when they’re wittier than his wisecrack there though.

He was carping at the Gold winners, at least partly because they weren’t his team.

He was in a job where they sack you at the drop of a hat, he fucked the job up and was sacked.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bitter team rivalry. Fab. When sporting was allowed that sort of things. Surprised we even have winners now and not just participants medals. But the game changes and I'd have probably got the gooner here for making such a comment. Sigh..
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bitter team rivalry and being a bad loser ain’t for the commentators at their work.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:33 am
Mussels wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:16 am Labour finding ways to try and hang onto their slim majorities.

But this is what we voted for. Things can only get better.
I think Labour have finally found another scapegoat in Sunak's Tory government. Well, they can't blame Thatcher for everything forever.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:09 pm

But this is what we voted for. Things can only get better.
I think Labour have finally found another scapegoat in Sunak's Tory government. Well, they can't blame Thatcher for everything forever.
That reservoir aint never drying up!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

3rd child is now confirmed dead in the Southport stabbings! :thumbdown: From what I can gather the murderer wasn't an illegal migrant, but came here from Rwanda at 1 years old with his parents. Claims are being made he was on Mi5 watchlist, yet its not being treated as a terror attack?! I suspect we'll discover the truth of all this in due course...
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I think M&S shares tumbled on the news that all the pensioners weren't going to be spending their allowance there come Christmas.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!