In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:15 am
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:32 am
cheb wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:21 am
Maybe the left wing protestors are too busy infighting and sabotaging each others plans to actually concentrate on attacking their enemy. They do have previous form on this.
I'd say that's a fair summary of the way both left and right wing minorities work. Just look at the current state of the Tories for confirmation.
Are you using the Tories as an example of a right wing organisation? That's a bit of a stretch.
Mango chutney strikes again :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:55 am
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:32 am
I'd say that's a fair summary of the way both left and right wing minorities work. Just look at the current state of the Tories for confirmation.
Are you using the Tories as an example of a right wing organisation? That's a bit of a stretch.
Is that honestly the best you can do?

It's a bit like being savaged by a dead sheep...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:53 am

But he's no Geoffrey Howe.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:53 am

More than your thoroughly partisan post merited. x
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

gremlin wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:42 am Not as cut and dried as many would like it be be.

Keep it nice and stereotyped...nice and stereotyped...

Seems the plod tramping was more than justified.
By my watching, the two TWOC'y lads, in their holiday clothes, were giving the larger number of coppers a good pasting. If it wasn't for the tasers, they look like they'd have had the better of the situation.

As for the final kick, I wonder if it was because the officer was pissed off or annoyed because his colleague got hurt so put the boot in when it wasn't really necessary. I'd rather he hadn't. But I would let it go because the two lads were asking for trouble and had dished out enough themselves.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:54 pm I wonder if it was because the officer was pissed off or annoyed because his colleague got hurt
My missus said the same, but that the bloke copper was probably knocking off the woman copper who got hurt, hence the reaction.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Looking at it again, I think it was one male officer and two female officers vs the two TWOC'y lads. And to be fair at least one of the lads looked like he worked out a fair bit. I'd initially thought there were more police.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It was excessive, but in truth the 2 nutters were not exactly holding back in terms of dishing out punches, so they got exactly what they deserved. I first thought it was excessive too, but after watching the follow up vids, i've got no issues with it.

If they'd tried that in Spain (and many other places), they'd be looking like a bloody mess and riddled with bullets, so they actually did OK to just get a boot.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:08 am
If they'd tried that in Spain...
Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, we went on a family holiday to Spain. My dad, being thick as mince and suffering 'short man syndrome' got into yet another fight with some Germans. He was carted away by the Spanish police and detained for about 10 days 'til the court hearing. I recall him looking like he'd been trampled on by a angry elephant, which, according to my mum, was a result of the Spanish plod giving him a hoofing as he got proper gobby with them.

I'd say it taught him a lesson, but he was still a fist-happy cunt afterwards, so probably didn't.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:08 am It was excessive, but in truth the 2 nutters were not exactly holding back in terms of dishing out punches, so they got exactly what they deserved. I first thought it was excessive too, but after watching the follow up vids, i've got no issues with it.

If they'd tried that in Spain (and many other places), they'd be looking like a bloody mess and riddled with bullets, so they actually did OK to just get a boot.
My first holiday abroad with my mates when I was 18 was to Lloret de mar. Our flight arrived at about 10pm as all the cheap ones do, so the first thing we do is head to town to get some drinks in. On the way to the first bar we heard a commotion so have a gander. Some idiot has started a ruck and about 30 secs later a bunch of police steam in with batons and knock absolute shite out of the geezer. He's on the floor in a ball and they drag him to the beach before giving him some more good news with boots and batons. Wagon pulls up and they throw him in the back covered in blood.

That was ample instruction even for us idiots as to what would happen if we fucked about. So we didn't! Saw similar in Amsterdam too a while later.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

Olympics commentator axed over sexist remark

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

Ballard has yet to comment publicly on his remarks.

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just beaten the US and China, to make it the fourth Olympics in a row where the Australia has claimed the gold medal in the event.

They were waving to crowds and celebrating the achievement when Mr Ballard made his comments.

His co-commentator and British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds had immediately branded his remark "outrageous", prompting laughter from Ballard.

On Sunday, Eurosport said Ballard - previously a long-time BBC reporter and presenter - would not return to their air waves.

"During a segment of Eurosport’s coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment," the broadcaster said in a statement.

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard has been a stalwart of global sports coverage since the 1980s, reporting on multiple Olympic games and World Championships.

He has commentated an array of sports including water polo, ice hockey and wheelchair tennis, but is best known for his coverage of swimming and diving.

Swimming Australia has been approached for comment.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Some folk love to queue up to be offended.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:42 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

Olympics commentator axed over sexist remark

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

Ballard has yet to comment publicly on his remarks.

Mollie O’Callaghan, Emma McKeon, Meg Harris and Shayna Jack had just beaten the US and China, to make it the fourth Olympics in a row where the Australia has claimed the gold medal in the event.

They were waving to crowds and celebrating the achievement when Mr Ballard made his comments.

His co-commentator and British swimming champion Lizzie Simmonds had immediately branded his remark "outrageous", prompting laughter from Ballard.

On Sunday, Eurosport said Ballard - previously a long-time BBC reporter and presenter - would not return to their air waves.

"During a segment of Eurosport’s coverage last night, commentator Bob Ballard made an inappropriate comment," the broadcaster said in a statement.

"To that end, he has been removed from our commentary roster with immediate effect."

Mr Ballard has been a stalwart of global sports coverage since the 1980s, reporting on multiple Olympic games and World Championships.

He has commentated an array of sports including water polo, ice hockey and wheelchair tennis, but is best known for his coverage of swimming and diving.

Swimming Australia has been approached for comment.
Hmmm. Decided to find the clip first before I comment, it was clearly tongue in cheek.

On the one hand, yes it was a bit stupid given the world we live in. On the other does he deserve to lose his job and potentially any other job. Probably not IMO.

The Mrs often has 'Loose Women' on in the back ground during the day. They drop causal 'sexist' remarks several times a day. You take it as it's meant or get completely bent out of shape about it. Now, I realise one is the Olympics and the other is light entertainment (I think), but IMO both are meant the same way and it's either right or wrong if you are going to go down this route of zero humour.

People's ability to find offence and reach for the pitch forks is getting a bit tiresome. I'm hoping the next generation rebel against this one and tell them to fuck right off and get back to trying to be happy rather than looking for causes.

I could well be wrong though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:42 am People's ability to find offence and reach for the pitch forks is getting a bit tiresome.
A bit ? We're way past a bit tiresome... it astounds me at times.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I haven't seen/heard the clip, but I can't imagine he meant it in any other way than tongue in cheek!

It's one of those stupid moments that people have and don't mean to offend. To loose the whole gig and possibly future ones because of it is ridiculously harsh I think.

As above, women's shows say so much worse. If men said half the stuff about women that men do about women there'd be silence 50% of the time! And if women got the same amount of backlash that men so, we'd have total silence :roll:

Sad that a joke can't be had - if the team was actually offended, I'm sure he'd have apologised. Sacking is too harsh.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:46 am I haven't seen/heard the clip, but I can't imagine he meant it in any other way than tongue in cheek!

It's one of those stupid moments that people have and don't mean to offend. To loose the whole gig and possibly future ones because of it is ridiculously harsh I think.

As above, women's shows say so much worse. If men said half the stuff about women that men do about women there'd be silence 50% of the time! And if women got the same amount of backlash that men so, we'd have total silence :roll:

Sad that a joke can't be had - if the team was actually offended, I'm sure he'd have apologised. Sacking is too harsh.
One sugar in mine luv :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:08 am It was excessive, but in truth the 2 nutters were not exactly holding back in terms of dishing out punches, so they got exactly what they deserved. I first thought it was excessive too, but after watching the follow up vids, i've got no issues with it.

I get regular insight into this world,since favourite daughter is job. She is often punched kicked,bitten and spat upon for doing her job and is sometimes left on her own to deal with thieves,travellers fighting among each other and aggressive drunks who've been told to get off a plane. I've said it before,the frequent hostility and provocation she faces on a daily basis means I could not be in that job without being the head stamping officer.

There is no doubt his behaviour was unprofessional and that's probably his time in the job finished,but folk are quick to judge without considering the actions in context.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:54 am

I get regular insight into this world,since favourite daughter is job. She is often punched kicked,bitten and spat upon for doing her job and is sometimes left on her own to deal with thieves,travellers fighting among each other and aggressive drunks who've been told to get off a plane. I've said it before,the frequent hostility and provocation she faces on a daily basis means I could not be in that job without being the head stamping officer.

There is no doubt his behaviour was unprofessional and that's probably his time in the job finished,but folk are quick to judge without considering the actions in context.
That, 100%. People forget the shit that police have to deal with but then they are mainly only shown the bad side of police, not the bad side of the public (similar with medics and firemen :( ). FFS, the general public needs to have some respect, but as self respect seems lacking, I can't see they'll find any respect for others any time soon :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This protest failed miserably and I bet a few got biffed by suitcases and knees. Oops, sorry :D

https://news.sky.com/video/protesters-d ... t-13186755
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:54 pm
gremlin wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:42 am Not as cut and dried as many would like it be be.

Keep it nice and stereotyped...nice and stereotyped...

Seems the plod tramping was more than justified.
By my watching, the two TWOC'y lads, in their holiday clothes, were giving the larger number of coppers a good pasting. If it wasn't for the tasers, they look like they'd have had the better of the situation.

As for the final kick, I wonder if it was because the officer was pissed off or annoyed because his colleague got hurt so put the boot in when it wasn't really necessary. I'd rather he hadn't. But I would let it go because the two lads were asking for trouble and had dished out enough themselves.
They're now all lawyered up (their original lawyer quit) and crying about police brutality. It's a bit rich, given the lad in the blue decked 2 female officers before punching the male officer in the back of the head and then got him in a choke hold.