What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Book flights to Hanoi for 28 December. Booked another flight from Ho Chi Minh City back on the 17 Jan.

Nothing else booked, so I'm open to any other suggestions from those in the know. Currently thinking a few nights in Hanoi to see the old French quarter, drink coffee and chill for a few days, then fly down to Phu Quoc and chill on a beach for about 10 days, eating pho and getting sunburnt and fat. Might do a bit of diving. Last few days in HCMC mooching around, do a Vespa night tour, see the Cu Chi tunnels and stuff, maybe see the Mekong Delta on a boaty thing.

Come on, you budding Judeth Chalmers...enlighten me.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:49 pm Book flights to Hanoi for 28 December. Booked another flight from Ho Chi Minh City back on the 17 Jan.

Nothing else booked, so I'm open to any other suggestions from those in the know. Currently thinking a few nights in Hanoi to see the old French quarter, drink coffee and chill for a few days, then fly down to Phu Quoc and chill on a beach for about 10 days, eating pho and getting sunburnt and fat. Might do a bit of diving. Last few days in HCMC mooching around, do a Vespa night tour, see the Cu Chi tunnels and stuff, maybe see the Mekong Delta on a boaty thing.

Come on, you budding Judeth Chalmers...enlighten me.
Sounds epic - report back please! 😎
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Bought a new car.

The Audi Q3 Quattro was approaching three years old and had filled me with nothing but meh, so I bought the 24-plate VW T-Roc 4motion we were considering a few weeks back.

It has much more ooompf than the Q3, and since we last contemplated buying it it went from 14 miles on the clock and £37K, to 60 miles on the clock and £33K. Given I wanted to buy outright this time rather than PCP, that £4K drop made it a decent deal for a >£40K car - I'll still get the high tax hit, but all-round I'm happy with that 👍
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:57 pm Met Dick Strawbridge at Colchester railway station - legend..... :thumbup:
Did you manage to get a word in?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:08 pm
v8-powered wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:57 pm Met Dick Strawbridge at Colchester railway station - legend..... :thumbup:
Only a brief chat, his miserable.looking wife waiting for him.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

A mate came round this afternoon to fit a new tap - I've had it a few weeks but can't get to where I need to under the sink to do the change! And the old one has been dripping for months which is annoying!!

Sooooo, fancy new tap!! It's a bit big (but was the cheapest on amazon at the time!) but with some reorganising I got everything back around it as before :D :D

Happy Noggin with non drippy tap!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Went for what I thought was an eye exam at the Dr's, but got a full 90 minute MOT. No fails, but got an advisory about cakes/pies.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Been keeping SWMBO happy! Got to fit a drainage gully then a bit more tiling!
IMG_20240727_134337.jpg
IMG_20240727_134337.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 369 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I have wasps flying in and out of an air brick at the back of Chez Gremlin. This morning I sprayed said airbrick with wasp nest destroyer (which seems to have not worked after several attempts).

Half an hour later I walk past it, doing general garden duties when I feel a sharp sting on the back of my leg. Yep, wasp sting. :thumbdown:

Go indoors, grab one of those blue ice packs out of the freezer, grab a glass of water, sit down outside and apply the ice pack.

About 10 minutes later I feel something twitching in my shorts. Squeaky bum time....yep, out flies a wasp. Assume he's been up there all the time. :o
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:00 pm I have wasps flying in and out of an air brick at the back of Chez Gremlin. This morning I sprayed said airbrick with wasp nest destroyer (which seems to have not worked after several attempts).

Half an hour later I walk past it, doing general garden duties when I feel a sharp sting on the back of my leg. Yep, wasp sting. :thumbdown:
The nest is probably a long way from the air brick. If the cavity hasn't been insulated it could be as far away as the loft. (I think some poisons are particulate and they carry the stuff back to the nest).

Personally I never bother as they don't nest in the same place twice (so they say).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:34 pm
gremlin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:00 pm I have wasps flying in and out of an air brick at the back of Chez Gremlin. This morning I sprayed said airbrick with wasp nest destroyer (which seems to have not worked after several attempts).

The nest is probably a long way from the air brick. If the cavity hasn't been insulated it could be as far away as the loft. (I think some poisons are particulate and they carry the stuff back to the nest).

Personally I never bother as they don't nest in the same place twice (so they say).
Yeah. Seems to be doing feck all, other than pissing them off enormously. :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:42 pm
My mate's daughter works in telly media, darling. She has worked with them and has nothing pleasant to say about either of them. In fact, she has many unpleasant things to say about them.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:05 pm

My mate's daughter works in telly media, darling. She has worked with them and has nothing pleasant to say about either of them. In fact, she has many unpleasant things to say about them.
Have also heard not too nice things.

Bit of a fan of big Dick (😉) and his work, very talented guy. Don't have any time for his missus though.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Nothing particularly interesting, but did a very short walk around resort. The view was particularly fine today :wub: :wub: :wub:

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:05 pm

IIRC their 'chateau' programme was canned due to challenges ...

Edit:

After Channel 4 concluded an independent investigation into their conduct, announcing their decision to not work with Dick and Angel on any new productions in the future, production company Two Rivers also said: ‘We can confirm that we will no longer work with Dick and Angel and cannot comment further at the moment.’

Following the allegations, the couple posted on their Instagram that ‘there are two sides to every story’, and claimed ‘it was a Strawbridge family decision early last year’ to conclude the show.

And

Speaking on their Instagram page, Dick and Angel commented at the time: "It was a Strawbridge Family decision early last year to conclude Escape To The Chateau. We know there are lots of stories in the press right now.

"It's not worth us even trying to comment or give context, because anything can be made into a good headline. We understand.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Heading out shortly to see Which One's Pink (hereafter W1P) who are going to play The Wall in it's entirety, followed by some DSOTM & WYWH etc.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I walked to 1800 and back. Only planned to walk down then part way back and get the bus home. But met a mate in 180 and chatted for 30 mins so felt I needed to put more effort in for the return 🤣🤣🤣

So, 20 mins to get down (around 200m ish altitude) then 35 to get back half on tracks half on the road!!

Arrived at the cafe looking like I’d the marathon runners from yesterday apparently 🤣🤣 (it is a smidge hot here at the mo!)

Next time I’ll have a little pause before I arrive at the cafe as I only need about ten mins to look vaguely normal again so it would save all the shocked looks 🤣🤣🤣

Same again tomorrow - then see the physio in the afternoon to see if I can keep doing it 🤞🏻🤞🏻
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Gardening in this heat! Just about done now, bit of lunch and then I'm in the pool!

Never buy a house with a large mature garden!
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Did a 3D animal shoot. A lovely walk in the woods ruined by having to shoot arrows.

A bit different from what I normally do as the animals are placed at random distances (to mimic a normal hunt) and you have to guesstimate your sight marks.

First circuit of 14 targets were absolutely shit, second time round I got decent scoring but by that time the damage was done.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've just booked the campsite for my annual Classic TT/ Manx GP trip.
My mid May - early June France & Belgium tour got scuppered due to Covid right before departure,lets hope this one works out :thumbup: