Guided Tour of Transylvania

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Noggin

Re: Guided Tour of Transylvania

Post by Noggin »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:20 am
Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:08 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:16 pm As I get older I get a bit bored with the long drag to the Tunnel, followed by France and Germany to get to the interesting bits. This sounds like a contender for 2025. 👍
Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:06 pm Looks amazing. I followed on FB.
Think we can organise a meet up there in 2025? :angelic-green: Sounds bloody brilliant and once my apartment is sold I'm looking for a cool holiday to do after the winter!! :1 :1
I am going back next year. June is wet, July and August are very hot.
Yorick is used to hot!! LOL Let us know when and I'll try and join if that's ok? Need to 'do' more stuff before I get old! And once the apartment is sorted and life is slightly more stable - I want to start!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:28 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:16 pm As I get older I get a bit bored with the long drag to the Tunnel, followed by France and Germany to get to the interesting bits. This sounds like a contender for 2025. 👍
Think we can organise a meet up there in 2025? :angelic-green: Sounds bloody brilliant and once my apartment is sold I'm looking for a cool holiday to do after the winter!! :1 :1
Oh shit. I think I'm washing my hair that day. Honest.
Wuss/boring old fart!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:28 am
Oh shit. I think I'm washing my hair that day. Honest.
Don't worry. She'll trip up on the way into the airport and end up in hospital. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

Flew into sibiu years ago to see a leaf spring supplier. The air port was very basic and they had one of those old Renault's where you can't tell which end is the front, towing a homemade trailer which was the baggage wagon. The fella was launching the bags out of the plane and drove it back to the terminal. Which was just a small building. There was a fire engine which if I remember correctly was an ancient land rover which was running on at least 1 or 2 of it's cylinders. We were herded into the security lounge which looked exactly like your elderly aunt's lounge and then the man who was wrangling the luggage popped Into the room put on a different hat, and said, passports please. It was awesome. Cleanest air I've ever experienced at an airport.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

porter_jamie wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:03 pm Flew into sibiu years ago to see a leaf spring supplier. The air port was very basic and they had one of those old Renault's where you can't tell which end is the front, towing a homemade trailer which was the baggage wagon. The fella was launching the bags out of the plane and drove it back to the terminal. Which was just a small building. There was a fire engine which if I remember correctly was an ancient land rover which was running on at least 1 or 2 of it's cylinders. We were herded into the security lounge which looked exactly like your elderly aunt's lounge and then the man who was wrangling the luggage popped Into the room put on a different hat, and said, passports please. It was awesome. Cleanest air I've ever experienced at an airport.
The airport has been modernised but still lots of horses and carts about.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I've just been mapping out our mini road trip route for the end of the month, and popped in here to see if you'd been yet/how you'd got on - sounds/looks like you had an epic time 😎👍

(We were originally planning a quick city break in Bucharest, but flights meant four nights, and that meant time for a quick Transfagarian detour 😇 So we're doing a day in Bucharest, a day driving up into the mountains with a bit of Bran Castle etc, a night near Brasov, and then spending my birthday driving the Transfagarian back to Bucharest, with a bit of Poienari Castle etc.
The downside is it'll be four wheels not two - but you can't have everything. I'll consider it route planning 😆)
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:05 pm I've just returned from a five night stay in Transylvania, Romania and there is too much for me to remember and recount already, but here are some of the highlights.

The Transylvania region is mostly twisties - there really aren't any straight bits.
It is being tarmacked as we speak. The tarmac on most rural roads is no older than six years and it's perfect and beautiful.

They only have one fixed mobile speed camera and no CCT cameras. The public complained about these as being an invasion of their rights and they were all removed. The only fixed camera is on the main road north of the capital, Bucharest.

The only police I saw were at an accident that had already happened.
Having had a quick wander in the area, albeit in a car, I agree 100% on the twisties - every road once we'd got off the main (longggg) drag out of Bucharest was one series of bends after another 😎

We did see another pair of fixed speed cameras, in addition to the one just outside Bucharest. They were somewhere between Brasov and Ploiesti.
We also saw a mobile police speed trap, but all of this was on the long boring fast highways, rather than the fun mountain roads.
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:05 pm I paid £765 for 5 nights fully inc (accomodation, all food, drink, bike, airport transfers) excluding petrol and flights.
We found Romania to be incredibly cheap compared to the UK - fuel seemed to be a similar price point, but food and drink is cheap and plentiful 😎
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:55 pm Did you do any of the Transfăgărășan, thats a proper bucket list road?
That whole road is pretty much one hairpin after the next, so epic, but would be a tiring day on the bike I reckon, so I'd plan accommodation accordingly if you DIY it.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Cocked that post up.
Last edited by Trinity765 on Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Sunny wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:37 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:05 pm I've just returned from a five night stay in Transylvania, Romania and there is too much for me to remember and recount already, but here are some of the highlights.

The Transylvania region is mostly twisties - there really aren't any straight bits.
It is being tarmacked as we speak. The tarmac on most rural roads is no older than six years and it's perfect and beautiful.

They only have one fixed mobile speed camera and no CCT cameras. The public complained about these as being an invasion of their rights and they were all removed. The only fixed camera is on the main road north of the capital, Bucharest.

The only police I saw were at an accident that had already happened.
Having had a quick wander in the area, albeit in a car, I agree 100% on the twisties - every road once we'd got off the main (longggg) drag out of Bucharest was one series of bends after another 😎

We did see another pair of fixed speed cameras, in addition to the one just outside Bucharest. They were somewhere between Brasov and Ploiesti.
We also saw a mobile police speed trap, but all of this was on the long boring fast highways, rather than the fun mountain roads.
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:05 pm I paid £765 for 5 nights fully inc (accomodation, all food, drink, bike, airport transfers) excluding petrol and flights.
We found Romania to be incredibly cheap compared to the UK - fuel seemed to be a similar price point, but food and drink is cheap and plentiful 😎
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:55 pm Did you do any of the Transfăgărășan, thats a proper bucket list road?
That whole road is pretty much one hairpin after the next, so epic, but would be a tiring day on the bike I reckon, so I'd plan accommodation accordingly if you DIY it.
I believe the speed cameras on the road north of Bukarest are indeed, the only ones.

Re petrol price - motor insurance is included in the price of petrol. I know they do that in South Africa and maybe more countries :?: I can't remember the brand name of Putin's petrol but if you use it, you will stand out as tourists :lol:

Glad you like it - I'm going back in September.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:13 am I believe the speed cameras on the road north of Bukarest are indeed, the only ones.

Re petrol price - motor insurance is included in the price of petrol. I know they do that in South Africa and maybe more countries :?: I can't remember the brand name of Putin's petrol but if you use it, you will stand out as tourists :lol:

We deffo saw fixed cameras in a couple of different places, and they were marked on Google maps too 👍

The fuel thing is interesting - I'd not heard that! 😎

Will you go back to the same place, or base yourself elsewhere?
I really liked Brasov (we stayed at a work-mates brother's rental apartment there, which was both nice, and cheap 👍) - the old town there is really nice, and it's a good location in the middle of a decent set of twisties in many places directions too 😎
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Sunny wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:32 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:13 am I believe the speed cameras on the road north of Bukarest are indeed, the only ones.

We deffo saw fixed cameras in a couple of different places, and they were marked on Google maps too 👍

I really liked Brasov (we stayed at a work-mates brother's rental apartment there, which was both nice, and cheap 👍) - the old town there is really nice, and it's a good location in the middle of a decent set of twisties in many places directions too 😎
I'm blaming my guide for the incorrect information about the speed cameras :P

I'm going back to the same place, roughly halfway between the Transalpina and Transfargarasan. It's rural, very peaceful and quiet.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:42 pm
Sunny wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:32 pm

I'm blaming my guide for the incorrect information about the speed cameras :P

I'm going back to the same place, roughly halfway between the Transalpina and Transfargarasan. It's rural, very peaceful and quiet.
😆

Lush - more trip reports then please 👍😎