General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:44 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:34 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:59 am

It ain't got a plug.

Fly tippers presumably chopped it off, wouldn't want to waste a perfectly functional 13 amper.
My guess is it was a swap out and someone cut the plug off as a way of disabling it, stick a new one on and give it a whirl.
Leave it standing for 24 hours before plugging it in.
It appeared some time around midnight last night (I don't have the actual drop on CCTV, just some before/after), so I'm some of the way there already :thumbup:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Wet wipe packaging. Why make the hole so small you end up pulling 10 out rather than the one you need. How about a wee blue line along the outer edge to give us a clue to where the fecking start is. I would hate to have a new born and trying to get them out with one hand. Bastards, its deliberate.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Felix wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:40 pm Wet wipe packaging. Why make the hole so small you end up pulling 10 out rather than the one you need. How about a wee blue line along the outer edge to give us a clue to where the fecking start is. I would hate to have a new born and trying to get them out with one hand. Bastards, its deliberate.
Wet wipes full stop. The are such an environmental disaster!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:48 am
Felix wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:40 pm Wet wipe packaging. Why make the hole so small you end up pulling 10 out rather than the one you need. How about a wee blue line along the outer edge to give us a clue to where the fecking start is. I would hate to have a new born and trying to get them out with one hand. Bastards, its deliberate.
Baby D had reusable nappies and reusable wipes...it did mean carrying around sealed bags of piss soaked nappies sometimes though :D

I was surprised by how few other people used 'em TBH. They're dead easy now, it's not like you have to safety pin and all that nonsense any more, they just velcro and do up like 'normal' nappies.

We donated 'em all to charity at the end too :thumbup:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:54 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:48 am
Baby D had reusable nappies and reusable wipes...it did mean carrying around sealed bags of piss soaked nappies sometimes though :D

I was surprised by how few other people used 'em TBH. They're dead easy now, it's not like you have to safety pin and all that nonsense any more, they just velcro and do up like 'normal' nappies.

We donated 'em all to charity at the end too :thumbup:
I looked at reusable nappies but they were loads more hassle and not noticably cheaper or more environmentally friendly (a bit like owning an EV now ;) ). That was ten years before you did it so they might have improved.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You definitely need to think about it.

Tumble drying them (or not) makes an enormous difference, I can't remember the last time I tumble dried anything though. Similarly the choice of fibre and manufacturer matters, Bamboo gets loads of credit for being fast growing, low impact and green (which it is) but if you then use certain processes to make it into fabric it completely wipes out the benefit for eaxmple.

Donating them vs. throwing them away also impacts too of course.

I doubt ours were any cheaper in the long run, but I don't have a control case! We still used a few regular disposables anyway 'cause they're way easier to squirrel away in day bags and car cubby holes for emergencies :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Practise makes perfect, you don't pull them out more flick the packet away
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Prepay restaurants.

My wife went to meet a friend in the smoke today and they had to pay £70 each to book a table. When they got there they were told there was a long wait and their refund would take 3 days to process, so they were each £70 lighter and still hungry.
I don't know why people pander to places that treat customers like that.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I get it when it's somewhere with a reservation, 8 courses and you're paying £250/head or whatever - no shows must cost quite a bit for a place like that.

But somewhere with an indeterminate seating time / wait? Nah, bollox to that.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:52 pm Prepay restaurants.

My wife went to meet a friend in the smoke today and they had to pay £70 each to book a table. When they got there they were told there was a long wait and their refund would take 3 days to process, so they were each £70 lighter and still hungry.
I don't know why people pander to places that treat customers like that.
Yeah, fuck that off with a big stick.

I get restaurants holding a reservation with a card and charging for no-shows, as the number of no-shows is really high and they can be turning people away. But paying upfront? Nah.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

People who attach their wallet to a chain and attach the other end to their belt loop. Don't ask me why, but it does.

In fact, it ranks higher in terms of piss-boiling than those people who wear a big bunch of keys on their belt loop.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:12 am People who attach their wallet to a chain and attach the other end to their belt loop. Don't ask me why, but it does.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Modern a day parenting. Last night I witnessed some kid having a melt down to say the least, all because he didn't want to be shopping, he wanted to go home. That kid started his brother off too and Dad had to take one away, but returned shortly as the kid was screaming more thinking his brother was getting something he wasn't. So parents calm them with promises of getting them what they want in the most smarmy, ingratiating voices. WTF do parents reward bad behaviour when it should have consequences. No wonder we have so any unruly little shits ruining their communities. :roll:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:12 am People who attach their wallet to a chain and attach the other end to their belt loop. Don't ask me why, but it does.

In fact, it ranks higher in terms of piss-boiling than those people who wear a big bunch of keys on their belt loop.
My brother does that. I don't get it, you're giving a pick-pocket free rein.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:19 pm Modern a day parenting. Last night I witnessed some kid having a melt down to say the least, all because he didn't want to be shopping, he wanted to go home. That kid started his brother off too and Dad had to take one away, but returned shortly as the kid was screaming more thinking his brother was getting something he wasn't. So parents calm them with promises of getting them what they want in the most smarmy, ingratiating voices. WTF do parents reward bad behaviour when it should have consequences. No wonder we have so any unruly little shits ruining their communities. :roll:
Ditto: but add on stores are now playgrounds that you run around in (and take scooters apparently). Everyone has to stop and give the child space on the pavement, kids/parents and behaviours in pubs. Childrens behaviour on 'planes. And yoofs walking straight into you cos "you're meant to move , innit"
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:19 pm Modern a day parenting. Last night I witnessed some kid having a melt down to say the least, all because he didn't want to be shopping, he wanted to go home. That kid started his brother off too and Dad had to take one away, but returned shortly as the kid was screaming more thinking his brother was getting something he wasn't. So parents calm them with promises of getting them what they want in the most smarmy, ingratiating voices. WTF do parents reward bad behaviour when it should have consequences. No wonder we have so any unruly little shits ruining their communities. :roll:
I despair at parents sometimes, for lots of reasons (and from the high ground as I have no kids, so it's easy!! :lol:).

Was on the resort bus yesterday and a little girl was sick. I get that as it's not always the nicest ride when it's full of people. But, parents left her standing in amongst a load of adults, so she couldn't see where she was going (think she was about 6 ish), but once she pointed out that she was feeling really sick they shoved her to the front of the bus so she could see the road (pushing everyone else out of the way) but she was sick in a couple of minutes anyway. In the puke were lumps of chocolate bar and in her hand was the remainder of a kitkat. Soo, your kid feels sick and you give her a bar of chocolate :roll:

Winter is worse cos it's a minibus with carpet not vinyl floors. Parents just shove a phone or tablet at their kids as they head up or down 21 hairpins in a vehicle. FFS! They don't have to clean up the puke!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:57 pm Parents just shove a phone or tablet at their kids
That's what BMP.

How many times do you see families at the dinner table with both adults on their phones and all kids with their noses pressed against a screen? No conversation or interaction. Food gets served, no recognition of the waiting staff, food shoved down with a fork, as using a knife would require the device being put down.

Am I sounding like a grumpy old man?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:01 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:57 pm Parents just shove a phone or tablet at their kids
That's what BMP.

How many times do you see families at the dinner table with both adults on their phones and all kids with their noses pressed against a screen? No conversation or interaction. Food gets served, no recognition of the waiting staff, food shoved down with a fork, as using a knife would require the device being put down.

Am I sounding like a grumpy old man?
Nope, BMP too!

On holiday recently, nice restaurant etc - wealthy looking family with couple of kids, all on iPads / phones playing games but with the volume blaring. No need for it, selfish arseholes......
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Windsor Framework.

I've got to rewrite my data export that feeds the DPD software :(
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Watching the boss of Southern Water trying to justify his pay and the increase in bills they want, after decades of paying dividends (up to 2017) with precious little investment and maintenance of the network.😡
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."