In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:28 am In fairness, this is a bit shit....

BBC News - 'I was given Freedom of City but not freedom of room'
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp4wjvr127wo

Summary, woman is given the Freedom of the City of London for her campaigning for disability rights, in a posh ceremony, only they didn't provide a wheelchair ramp for her to go up and collect the award....

Little bit of joined up thinking, eh?
It seems it but we only have the side told by:
Ms Landre, who describes herself as a wheelchair-using activist
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:34 am
Activist or not, it's a courtesy to provide access for wheelchair users in all public areas, which I think is something we can all agree on.

And again, joined-up thinking - giving an award to a wheelchair user who campaigns for disability rights. You'd think somebody would have looked at the stage, put two and two together, and gone and got the ramp, else maybe she'd use that experience to highlight the issues she has. I believe in the world of PR, it's known as 'the optics'.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:42 am
Activist or not, it's a courtesy to provide access for wheelchair users in all public areas, which I think is something we can all agree on.

And again, joined-up thinking - giving an award to a wheelchair user who campaigns for disability rights. You'd think somebody would have looked at the stage, put two and two together, and gone and got the ramp, else maybe she'd use that experience to highlight the issues she has. I believe in the world of PR, it's known as 'the optics'.
Yeah, considering she was getting an award for her campaigning/activism it's a bit :eh: to level 'activist' at her like it's something she shouldn't be. :crazy:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've been following this one because it's close to me and involved a bike.

At no point over the last couple of days have the police laid any blame on the bikers, which seemed odd... and now they've arrested the driver of a 3rd vehicle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c29d2lenkp1o
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:39 pm I've been following this one because it's close to me and involved a bike.

At no point over the last couple of days have the police laid any blame on the bikers, which seemed odd... and now they've arrested the driver of a 3rd vehicle.

Yes, that got my interest as well. Partly because it was 'local', partly because a lot was left unsaid in the original report.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:50 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:39 pm I've been following this one because it's close to me and involved a bike.

Yes, that got my interest as well. Partly because it was 'local', partly because a lot was left unsaid in the original report.

There's often a lot left unsaid in original reports and usually for very good reasons. Any witnesses will be expected to give statements on what they witnessed and not pad their statements out with stuff from original reports.

Quite a long time ago I was in a position where I could speak regularly with the police accident investigators often very soon after fatal traffic accidents. Even though they knew why I was asking questions (our section would be dealing with that and any other accidents in that area in the future) most of them were quite tight lipped about the incidents.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:08 pm There's often a lot left unsaid in original reports and usually for very good reasons. Any witnesses will be expected to give statements on what they witnessed and not pad their statements out with stuff from original reports.

Quite a long time ago I was in a position where I could speak regularly with the police accident investigators often very soon after fatal traffic accidents. Even though they knew why I was asking questions (our section would be dealing with that and any other accidents in that area in the future) most of them were quite tight lipped about the incidents.
Yes, I appreciate and understand the reason for the tight-lipped approach, people are happier to parrot what they read rather than giving factual evidence. For six people to die in an RTA nominally only involving two vehicles (one of which is a motorcycle) is more than a bit unusual though.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:50 pm

Looking at the BBC's photo of the location, along with the police asking for dashcam of a particular Porsche, 2+2= .... on what happened.

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:01 pm
Activist or not, it's a courtesy to provide access for wheelchair users in all public areas,

You'd think somebody would have looked at the stage, put two and two together, and gone and got the ramp,
Yeah, considering she was getting an award for her campaigning/activism it's a bit :eh: to level 'activist' at her like it's something she shouldn't be. :crazy:
It's her own description:
Ms Landre. ... She said: "As an activist ...

Also, according to the article:
Despite a ramp being available, staff presumed Ms Landre didn't want one
Despite her sitting in something the size of a small tank :crazy:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:51 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:01 pm

Activist or not, it's a courtesy to provide access for wheelchair users in all public areas,

You'd think somebody would have looked at the stage, put two and two together, and gone and got the ramp,
It's her own description:
Ms Landre. ... She said: "As an activist ...

Also, according to the article:
Despite a ramp being available, staff presumed Ms Landre didn't want one
Despite her sitting in something the size of a small tank :crazy:
Yup. Activist, campaigner whatever. As I read it the award of Freedom of the City was for what she'd achieved re disability rights, accessibility etc. The comment up there ^^^ seemed to suggest that, somehow, because she was a campaigner/activist she might be kicking up a bit for the publicity. Unless someone knows that she told them she didn't need a ramp then kicked off when there wasn't one.

Maybe she achieved whatever she'd achieved by keeping her head down and saying nowt....
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Copper giving a wrong 'un a shoeing.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjqep1ew419o

It's funny how the videos doing the rounds only show the copper giving the suspect a hoof in the nugget, not the actions of said miscreant that caused the female plod to get a broken schnozzer.

I actually think giving a scumbag a good hoofing should be mandatory. Teach the fuckers a lesson.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:49 pm Copper giving a wrong 'un a shoeing.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjqep1ew419o

It's funny how the videos doing the rounds only show the copper giving the suspect a hoof in the nugget, not the actions of said miscreant that caused the female plod to get a broken schnozzer.

I actually think giving a scumbag a good hoofing should be mandatory. Teach the fuckers a lesson.
Bullfuckingshit, the copper was well out of order and there can be no justification for booting anyone in the head once they're already on the ground.

The correct prtocol is to wait until you are back at the station at the top of the stairs and give them a nudge then, out of sight of his hommies with camera phones
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:11 pm there can be no justification for booting anyone in the head once they're already on the ground.
He can claim the Magna Carta ruling that reads, 'Let it be recorded that a constable of the peace, may, without fear of persecution or exile, be free to give any geezer that can be evidenced as being a fucking wrong 'un, a scumbag, a bit gobby or just fucking irritating a right good shoeing in the head, lest that wrong 'un does not be teached his lesson.'

Or summat like that.
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:11 pm
The correct prtocol is to wait until you are back at the station at the top of the stairs and give them a nudge then,
Even if the police station is single storey.

I've heard of naughty chappies being taken, for a treat, to see the police doggie.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

During a break in play, somebody has decided to play their racism card for bonus points:

"Former chief superintendent of the Met Police, Dal Babu, told BBC Radio 4 the police actions were "appalling and unnecessary" and in his opinion racism played a part in the incident."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Shoplifting reaches new heights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gzj693pxo
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

It went pop! Lucky escape for the tourists.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hydrotherm ... uit-basin/
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:44 pm Shoplifting reaches new heights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gzj693pxo
Maybe move the crisps display to somewhere further away from the door?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't want to sound like a racist, but all Sea Gulls look the same to me. Are they sure it's always Steven?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

What if all seagulls are called Steven?

Like all middle aged white women who like to complain are called Karen.