This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:11 pm G.P, IanB, Trinity, Tomcat, Derek Badger, Docca, Editor, Green man, Claude, Fromage barely posts now, currently Potter who's AWOL, Dern who rarely posts now, Tricky hardly bothers.

It's not 'you' as you seem to think I implied but it's these topics, the bitterness, the decision, the point scoring time and time again. It's the poisonous attitudes of many which have driven countless away.
I don't believe all of these just gave up on bikes and forums so something is driving them away.
I expect it's many reasons but I could go on and on and show you pretty bar graphs of posts, visits etc.

But I have no doubt in my mind that the Biden, Trump, Politics stuff plays a big factor

Sadly due to the reality of the world, current affairs sections need to stay, so they don't clutter up the rest of the forum. But I'd argue they take away more than they give back.
I spent a lot of effort to keep the "In The News Today" free from the nutters.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:14 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:11 pm G.P, IanB, Trinity, Tomcat, Derek Badger, Docca, Editor, Green man, Claude, Fromage barely posts now, currently Potter who's AWOL, Dern who rarely posts now, Tricky hardly bothers.

It's not 'you' as you seem to think I implied but it's these topics, the bitterness, the decision, the point scoring time and time again. It's the poisonous attitudes of many which have driven countless away.
I don't believe all of these just gave up on bikes and forums so something is driving them away.
I expect it's many reasons but I could go on and on and show you pretty bar graphs of posts, visits etc.

But I have no doubt in my mind that the Biden, Trump, Politics stuff plays a big factor

Sadly due to the reality of the world, current affairs sections need to stay, so they don't clutter up the rest of the forum. But I'd argue they take away more than they give back.
Sadly, the news is like modern society, doom, gloom, despair. That's what sells news. Not the nice things, the good things, just all the shit things

I despair at what the world is becoming honestly.

The forum at times, mirrors that.

There was a WSB or a GP the other week that never got a post until Tuesday after.
My 2 latest bike posts got 2 replies.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:19 pm

Sadly, the news is like modern society, doom, gloom, despair. That's what sells news. Not the nice things, the good things, just all the shit things

There was a WSB or a GP the other week that never got a post until Tuesday after.
Yeah. Kill the arguing threads about politics.

The today news is/was supposed to be fun.

But don't forget we all love what you do.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Lol thanks. I've said all along that as long as the forum doesn't become a financial burden it'll still stay.
However, I get very few emails of people paying subs these days.
(That's not me looking for help, just an observation)
cheb

Post by cheb »

I doubt insulting people helps, however much their views might differ from yours.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:38 pm

Lol thanks. I've said all along that as long as the forum doesn't become a financial burden it'll still stay.
Not had a notification for ages. Am I paid up?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

No idea. I don't check or look at who is or isn't fella. It's not the easiest thing for me to find out. I think you guys can find it easier than me
cheb

Post by cheb »

The colour of a username is the giveaway, owner and mods excepted.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:42 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:38 pm

Not had a notification for ages. Am I paid up?
Timely post.

I checked, my sub runs out in 2 days, new sub now paid. :thumbup:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:51 pm The colour of a username is the giveaway, owner and mods excepted.
Often yes but not always as for various reasons people have been moved into and out of groups which sort of breaks it.
cheb

Post by cheb »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:56 pm
cheb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:51 pm The colour of a username is the giveaway, owner and mods excepted.
Often yes but not always as for various reasons people have been moved into and out of groups which sort of breaks it.
Ah, OK.

ITYM cliques BTW :mrgreen:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:11 pm It's not 'you' as you seem to think I implied but it's these topics, the bitterness, the decision, the point scoring time and time again. It's the poisonous attitudes of many which have driven countless away.
Well you said it in the context of my discussions being a problem.
weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:57 pm There's a reason people have left and post less. It's not just because of a lack of love for bikes

I have to accept my posting style appears to attract more than it's fair share of escalating vitriol. I will respond to incessant personal insults and defend myself until eventually I get banned. In fairness, over the years there was one occasion when you actually banned the instigator (and me).

You suggest the rambunctious and energetic posts I seem to generate are the cause of the decline in members because (I assume) you can see how membership is declining due to my continued presence on this forum.

You might just as well suggest it is declining due to the continued presence of Twitter, X, Reddit, YouTube where undoubtedly half of those former posters now reside.

There is also the Trump factor if I may be so bold as to drag this thread back on topic. Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing! The human mind is weak and easily swayed. We all believe we are immune from advertising for example. I can assure you, no one is and if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Now I did endure many years of quite insane levels of criticism for my "extreme right wing" views. I was told I was some "conspiracy theorist nutjob" for example when criticising social media censorship or highly partisan, left wing mainstream media. Trump has had to endure years of unbelievable criticism from deeply partisan msm, social media bias, been kicked off platforms (even when he was the sitting president!), shadow banned, arrested on spurious charges (none of which were validated) and finally someone shot him in the head...

I should remind everyone, especially the Trump haters that half the USA would disagree (if they were allowed to, wouldn't face punishment for doing so or if their opinions weren't censored) but the imbalance of power in the media space has been hugely shifted towards the centre thanks largely to Elon Musk. No longer are you likely to get thrown in jail for being a Trump supporter. The incessant threat from the Biden admin that the greatest threat to national security and to democracy itself is <anyone who doesn't vote dem>.

That just changed. The tide has turned. During that period however I might argue that anyone wishing to join this forum might have left or been dissuaded from joining just by seeing the way one of the few right wing Trump supporters (aka conspiracy theorist nutjobs) was being treated. I'm not going to argue for that position, I merely suggest that without any evidence to the contrary, it is just as valid a "reason" as you suggesting that the energetic bickering in my threads might be.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:59 pm
You might just as well suggest it is declining due to the continued presence of Twitter, X, Reddit, YouTube where undoubtedly half of those former posters now reside.
I absolutely agree. But I ask, why are they leaving and getting their motorbike kicks somewhere else. Why are they not hanging here like they used to

Content.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

There is also the Trump factor if I may be so bold as to drag this thread back on topic. Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing! The human mind is weak and easily swayed. We all believe we are immune from advertising for example. I can assure you, no one is and if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Now I did endure many years of quite insane levels of criticism for my "extreme right wing" views. I was told I was some "conspiracy theorist nutjob" for example when criticising social media censorship or highly partisan, left wing mainstream media. Trump has had to endure years of unbelievable criticism from deeply partisan msm, social media bias, been kicked off platforms (even when he was the sitting president!), shadow banned, arrested on spurious charges (none of which were validated) and finally someone shot him in the head...

I should remind everyone, especially the Trump haters that half the USA would disagree (if they were allowed to, wouldn't face punishment for doing so or if their opinions weren't censored) but the imbalance of power in the media space has been hugely shifted towards the centre thanks largely to Elon Musk. No longer are you likely to get thrown in jail for being a Trump supporter. The incessant threat from the Biden admin that the greatest threat to national security and to democracy itself is <anyone who doesn't vote dem>.

That just changed. The tide has turned. During that period however I might argue that anyone wishing to join this forum might have left or been dissuaded from joining just by seeing the way one of the few right wing Trump supporters (aka conspiracy theorist nutjobs) was being treated. I'm not going to argue for that position, I merely suggest that without any evidence to the contrary, it is just as valid a "reason" as you suggesting that the energetic bickering in my threads might be.
I have no clue whatsoever what that all means. It's like you type in a completely different language to me.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:15 pm I've just been reminded of future president Kamala Harris's thoughtful and expert analysis of the war in the Ukraine:

"So, Ukraine is a country in Europe.
"It exists next to another country called Russia,
"Russia is a bigger country.
"Russia is a powerful country.
"Russia decided to invade a smaller country called Ukraine.
"So, basically, that’s wrong, and it goes against everything that we stand for.”

And if that doesn't convince you that she should be the next president of the USA, I don't know what will.

BTW That was to a room full of adults, not five year olds.
I wouldn’t take too much notice of the snippets cobbled together by the republican election team. She would not have made it as the San Francisco DA and then California AG if she was an idiot. I suspect she will destroy Trump in the next debate.

That said, she has a long way to go. She has some weaknesses, especially her record on immigration. On the plus side she will have access to the Biden campaign funds.

See what happens, as it stands she’s not guaranteed the nomination. It might go the vote in the democratic convention.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Be grateful to that this place allows you to continue 'uncensored'?

The much derided mainstream media has to play by certain rules - "Truth", "accuracy", and "objectivity" spring to mind. If they don't they run the risk of derision and slander. I put it to you that nobody's hiding anything,you just don't like it.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:09 pm I have no clue whatsoever what that all means. It's like you type in a completely different language to me.
You say the mere existence of argument in this forum is driving people away.

I am suggesting the way such discussions are handled might be equally offputting, especially to those of us on the right.
Plato
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:18 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:09 pm I have no clue whatsoever what that all means. It's like you type in a completely different language to me.
You say the mere existence of argument in this forum is driving people away.

I am suggesting the way such discussions are handled might be equally offputting, especially to those of us on the right.
Some of us didn't start out on the right... :hmmm:

list delete duplicates
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:09 pm
Be grateful to that this place allows you to continue 'uncensored'?

The much derided mainstream media has to play by certain rules - "Truth", "accuracy", and "objectivity" spring to mind. If they don't they run the risk of derision and slander. I put it to you that nobody's hiding anything,you just don't like it.
Oh so how truthful, accurate and objective were they regarding "president" Bidens mental acuity? Never mind the Hunter Biden laptop, the millions of dollars flowing into the Biden family from Russia/Ukraine/China. Does the C*V*D jab prevent transmission? Was the virus itself really just a random mutation which found its way into a Pangolin burger? Did Trump fall over on the stage after hearing some popping noises?

The mainstream media and most of the big tech companies are owned by the same people who own Biden and run America. I don't believe a word they say but similarly, I have to agree that does put me (and everyone else) in a very difficult position when it comes to resolving any shred of truth that might be found on "reputable" sources.

"Be grateful" you say. Wow. Possibly the most patronising, self aggrandising statement I've heard from a nobody like you. I don't know who you think you are to puff yourself with such pomposity.

Interesting side note. Just below that post I made earlier portrayed as McMurphy due to my opinion regarding a possible invasion of Ukraine:
DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm
DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm Nothing Boris is doing currently is affecting the world order (except possibly our relationship with Saudi Arabia). Everything Biden does is and it's not going well for this admin. Russia can see that, the CCP can see that and they will take advantage of these signs of weakness.
I think this is mainly in your head
Then of course, they did. Here's something I hadn't spotted before.
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:57 am It would be a cold day in hell before I believed a word of that propaganda machine.

So is Putin going to get on with it then or what? There's nothing on telly, I'm bored.

Let's play war with superintelligent A.I. drones and shit. I'm sure the weapons manufacturers haven't just been sitting on their hands all COVID. They must have some developed some funky new toys to play with. Something that looks good on telly.
I made that post ON THE DAY OF THE INVASION!

How about that for a conspiracy theorist nutjob? Not such bad timing for a stopped clock. :lol:
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:43 pm

Some of us didn't start out on the right... :hmmm:

list delete duplicates
The only way that this analogy works is if the entire MSM started off as liberal (which they didn't), coincidentally decided to move to the left (which they haven't), and have collaborated to maintain this position without once exposing why and how.
Full. Of. Holes. But it makes a great story.